Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,740,874 times

Advertisements

I am hoping he waits until the SOTU addresses. I wanna see Dems heads explode as he announces it live on TV.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:27 PM

18,157 posts, read 15,738,832 times
Dems have crossed the border of your brain you left wide open and are living in your head, rent free.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:39 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,605,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I'm not reading anything. I'm just going based on what it appears to me. Pres. Trump CAN'T back down from his demand for wall money, now that he's gone through all this the last month. IF he does, he's finished politically, and he knows it. So, this is a Hail Mary "I gotta save face" pass, AND his last chance to get something through, while looking like HE'S compromising something, YET the Dems still refuse.

IMO, Pelosi should give on this, and use it as wedge for something else she would want more in the future. A "you owe me Mr. President".
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Not at all. You can not trust Trump to honor a debt. His history shows he will not.

And you don't make bargains with the Devil and come out ahead.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:42 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,455,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I hope he declares an emergency, so it goes to the courts and gets rejected. Then, finally, we can move on with the business of getting this traitor out of office.
It wont be rejected by courts. Plenty of precedent.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 PM

32,127 posts, read 15,112,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
It wont be rejected by courts. Plenty of precedent.
I would love him to declare a state emergency because it means the government will re open. I don’t think he’ll do that though. He’d have to prove an emergency which there is none.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I would love him to declare a state emergency because it means the government will re open. I don’t think he’ll do that though. He’d have to prove an emergency which there is none.
He doesn't have to prove it, he only has to claim it.

He will do so. Gvot will reopen. He will take credit for that. He will fund the border wall from some other program. Wall construction will start. SOTU will happen at which time he will excoriate Democrats for their un-American stance on both the border and the shut down.

Win. Win. Win. Win.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:58 PM

8,582 posts, read 11,006,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
What Trump is really declaring is that his promise he made to his fanatical followers for a wall is not going to happen therefore he is taking over the country by assuming the role of a dictator. This is the best he can do with what he has to work with. Hitler had a Reichstag fire, Trump only has few immigrants trying to crawl over a fence. I am sure the MAGA crowd will be thrilled. All Trump really cares about is whether this improves his chance to get reelected in 2020 with this move.
Do you call an estimated 13 million illegals in this country, "a few immigrants trying to crawl over a fence"?
Shame on you.

Bob.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If you equate immigrants coming into this country with the true meaning of "invasion" in the acts...well, then, we'd have to check with a judge or real constitutional scholars.

Was all the pot and cocaine coming in an "invasion"?

Since most immigrants come in by other means, he'd then have to extend this "invasion" to every form of transport from every country (Mexicans could country hop) and then also tell the Judge why these were "invaders" while the illegal Canadians, Irish, Asians and others are not. That would be tough.

"An invasion is a military offensive in which large parts of combatants of one geopolitical entity aggressively enter territory controlled by another such entity, generally with the objective of either conquering; liberating or re-establishing control or authority over a territory; forcing the partition of a country; ..."

"An invasion is a military action consisting of armed forces of one geopolitical entity willfully entering territory controlled by another such entity."

So you don't agree with that definition of invasion and think the courts and Congress are going to agree to redefine it?

Using your logic, he might call athletes foot an invasion by the fungus and call out the Military for that.
Now, you know as well as I, had not the border patrol stopped them, the last invaders a few moths ago, would have stormed the border to gain entry.
That my friend(and I use that term loosely) is an invasion.

Bob.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Again, he doesn't have to prove it. You are ill informed. All he has to do is claim it and reopen the govt.
What is it that you don't understand?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If Trump tried to declare martial law, with suspension of congress and all the other stuff you described above, he wouldn't last a week. Members of his own staff and probably family would abandon him, and almost certainly members of the military would seek him out, as well as multiple law enforcement officers. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he got assassinated.

I agree it's not going to happen.
You DO understand that under martial law, the military is in force, heavily deployed over the entire nation, if necessary, and that would include the capitol building, where congress meets.
The President would be guarded much more heavily than is done by the secret service.
Remember, in a state of martial law, the ONLY law enforcement agency is the military, not your local police, and sheriff departments.

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies