Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,772,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet619 View Post
I hope every one of the MAGA hat wearing little cretins get doxxed and lose any scholarships they were offered.
^^^ Full blown TDS hatred on display here. Be ashamed.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:43 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,640,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet619 View Post
I hope every one of the MAGA hat wearing little cretins get doxxed and lose any scholarships they were offered.
Why? Why would you be so disgustingly hateful? The kids did nothing but stand there smiling. For that you hope he gets murdered? Really?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:50 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,554,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Neither this nor the previous thread about this incident have been accurate about what transpired.

There is a very informative, unnarrated nine-minute video out there- sorry, no link, I saw it linked to someone's Twitter account and I expect it's also on YouTube - that shows a small group of "Black Israelites" (I may have the name wrong) loudly testifying against homosexuality and homosexuals, citing various Old Testament chapters and verses and apparently addressing the boys in a loud, accusatory and adversarial manner just before the encounter with the American Indian gentleman.

Some of the boys responded, loudly saying things like "They're (homosexuals) people too!" "Gay people have rights!", and "I'm not listening to you...not listening..." and so on. The argument grew heated, voices were raised on both sides - it was then that the Indian man deliberately placed himself between the two groups. He said later that his chanting and drumming were spiritual, a prayer to Mother Earth for peace. He also said he was trying to separate and calm both the boys and the Black Israelites to avoid more friction.

It does not appear that the boys understood that this was what he was attempting, or the spiritual significance of his chanting and drumming. Many seemed confused or baffled by the overlapping encounters with first the Black Israelites and then the Indians.

The boys responded in various ways - some clapping and moving in time to the drum, others with nervous laughter, some with plain old laughter, some with jeers, and some imitating his chanting. A large number of them broke into a school cheer. I did not hear the boys yelling "Build the Wall!" but it has been reported by many others. After this point, there was no more video coverage of the Black Israelites, whose number was only about five or six.

Shortly after this, as the boys grew louder, and the boy who has been singled out appeared to be attempting a stare-down with the older man, a younger, apparently very angry Indian man joined in and yelled at the boys: "Go back to Europe! This is our (expletive) land! You little (expletives) don't belong here! This isn't your land, you stole it!" and so on. He definitely escalated the tension and his behavior was directly contrary to the stated intentions of the older man with the drum.

Many of the boys seem puzzled or amused by these encounters. It's a shame that no one tried to explain to them what was going on - and it's shameful that their chaperones didn't attempt to intervene, calm things down, and move the boys from the scene. The park police were probably not available due to various marches and demonstrations nearby - and their numbers were probably not the usual; due to the government shut down - the Lincoln Memorial IS part of the National Park System - but surely someone should have been on hand to restore order. Freedom of speech is one thing, but aggressive and provocative name-calling - which members of all three parties participated in towards one another - is not acceptable.

I am so thankful that the nine-minute video of the whole encounter surfaced, as it is much more nuanced and detailed and clarifies just what happened. At the end of which, the chaperones belatedly appear and start herding the boys towards their bus - where were they previously?

Even not completely comprehending what was happening, surely they must have heard the raised angry voices and profanity, and they should have realized the potential volatility of the situation. It was also not a good choice to allow the boys to wear politically oriented attire in such a location. The adults who were supposed to be in charge of the boys certainly did not do their job, and the boys - and the older Indian gentleman - suffered for it.

I hope all who have jumped to conclusions - as I did initially - will watch the video closely, for a better understanding of what happened and who was involved. The boys are not entirely innocent, not at all - but they are getting some blame that rightly should fall onto the adult chaperones and school personnel who accompanied them but who failed miserably at leadership and protection and being role models.

So what to do now? It's a complex situation. I hope the school and church authorities study that nine-minute video thoroughly - break it down, minute by minute - draw a sketch of who was where when these overlapping incidents occurred - and question every single adult who was there in a position of authority. Then question the kids. Let them tell their stories, then see the video and comment. See if their initial stories match what is on the video.

Then I'd put "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" on the required reading list, with book reports and classroom discussion to follow.

And I'd find whoever I could who has the chops and the necessary standing to conduct a workshop in chaperoning for every adult who was there, and for every adult who wants to chaperone kids from this school ever again.
You're wrong on some of the timing. The kids were already chanting before the old man came up to them. They weren't even looking in his direction-and were singing some sort of school spirit song. The old guy comes up and moves into the group, beating his drum in front of several of the kids. It looks as if he were getting into the chanting they were doing or something-it is not clear. The kids were smiling at him and seemed to encourage him, which seemed to aggravate him (my opinion only). He then moved away from that group, approached the child that was standing a little separate from the group, stuck his drum in his face and began chanting louder and beating it right in his face. While his (the old man's) entourage are making racist comments to the child. It appears as if he was singled out because he was wearing a MAGA hat. To me at least-it seems as if the old man was doing everything he could to intimidate and bully the kid and provoke a reaction. Certainly that was the case of the bigots with him. Great job on the part of the child for not responding.

I have seen NO evidence that the man was trying to keep the two groups apart-only his statements. I have seen NO videos of the kids making any racist comments to him-only his statements. And I have seen no videos of the children even chanting "build the wall"-which of course would mean nothing to a native American in the first place. If ANYONE has links to video that show any of those things-please post.

The old man is Nathan Phillips. He's a liberal activist with a history of confrontation and intimidation.

There is a video out that shows the entire confrontation that runs an hour and a half IIRC. It shows the Black Hebrew Israelites shouting racist and homophobic slurs at the children for about an hour before Phillips group shows up.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 01-20-2019 at 09:03 PM..

Old 01-20-2019, 08:52 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,646,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Why? Why would you be so disgustingly hateful? The kids did nothing but stand there smiling. For that you hope he gets murdered? Really?
Who said anything about murder?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 PM

1,991 posts, read 902,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Reminds me of my own experience. I shared a story of my childhood saying I heard a lot of Democrats trash talking veterans, minorities, etc. Moral of the story, just because somebody call themselves a liberal, doesn't mean they are automatically kind. One person out of nowhere calling me a coward who never served in the military. I shouldn't be demonizing Democratic veterans.

Seriously, there are a lot of very extreme people on the internet and in real life. If they think you are Daimon Hellstrom, there is nothing you can do to defend yourself.

I don't see the "harassment", not based on the video at least, but the mere fact that this old gentleman is a Native American + a Veteran, it is enough of a story to pit one group of people against another. It is very sad.
So someone who you supposed is a non Veteran Democrat, called you, who we know is a non Veteran, a coward. Do you have a point to this fable?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 PM

16,139 posts, read 6,881,763 times
According to the news the viral sound bite was was aimed at making this kid look like a bad person.
After viewing the larger portion of the video it is easy to see that he was trying to diffuse a verbally hostile
segment of a self injected group by standing in place.

Just because chicken little said the sky is falling does not mean he is telling the truth.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:57 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Indeed, people who lose it over MAGA hats are idiots. And major media who support the idiots while vilifying the hat wearing kids are evil.
Would you feel the same way if some Proud Boys members lost it over someone wearing ANTIFA hats and clothing? A gang member losing it over a rival wearing their gang colors in front of them? Or someone of Jewish descent losing it over someone wearing a swastika hat and SS paraphernalia?

Now, I'm not remotely insinuating that a MAGA hat is the symbolic equivalent of neo-nazi symbols. I'm a Trump supporter.

BUT, what I'm saying here, and what many people continue to conveniently overlook, is that the boys here are hardly blameless.

Of all the hats they could have chosen to wear at this event, an event whose participants would hardly be considered fans of Donald J Trump, they chose to wear a MAGA hat. They could have chosen to wear the hat of their school, they could have chosen to wear nothing. They could have chosen to act NEUTRAL. But no sir, they deliberately chose to wear a bright red MAGA hat and station themselves near these people including the Native Americans, in order to silently taunt and bait them.

It's so obvious and transparent what these boys were doing, anyone with any common sense can see through their act. Provocation was their childish goal.

That arrogant smug look on that one kid's face says it all. That's the look of someone that is smirking because someone took the bait and he got under the old man's skin.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:58 PM

39,253 posts, read 27,650,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
So someone who you supposed is a non Veteran Democrat, called you, who we know is a non Veteran, a coward. Do you have a point to this fable?
Yes, that that person was YOU. YOU called me a coward for no reasons. I've never called you any names, by the way. i don't even know you.

It looks like you came here making up stories again, I've never said "a non veteran Democrat, called me, a coward." I said "somebody came out of nowhere called me a coward, just because I said, ..."

You need to get over yourself. nobody is against you. I have a lot of friends who are Democrats/ liberals, they are also veterans. I will never attack a veteran just because he/she is a Democrat.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:58 PM

672 posts, read 256,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Because you swallow msm poo or you just hate maga hat wearing kids?
Anyone stupid enough to wear that crap in public should pay the consequences, forever. This period of American insanity will pass and all the MAGA crowd will crawl back under their rocks.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:01 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,152,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
According to the news the viral sound bite was was aimed at making this kid look like a bad person.
After viewing the larger portion of the video it is easy to see that he was trying to diffuse a verbally hostile
segment of a self injected group by standing in place.

Just because chicken little said the sky is falling does not mean he is telling the truth.
Where is a link to this new video footage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies