Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 12:10 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I'll ask you the same question I asked Heyschos yesterday.

What are we going to do about it?
* Ban cars?
* Ban airline travel (except for the elites of course)
* Ban manufacturing?
* Ban air conditioners?
* Force EVERYONE to buy solar panels?
I answered you yesterday, with a thoughtful post.

We are not going down a path where you set up a strawman we are expected to knock down. Don't beg the question, come up with some creative solutions to the problem! We all know the situation is going to be bad, how can we make it somewhat better?

You seem to be suggesting that 'there is nothing reasonable that can be done, so f*ck it'. That kind of attitude is not what made America great.

Why don't you make a positive contribution to the discussion instead of complaining you might have to give up something? Your position above neither disproves climate change nor helps us all deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 12:13 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,371,285 times
When a flower grows in the desert, is it no longer a desert?

Old 01-31-2019, 12:27 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The brush isn't all that wide... it only encompasses "scientists" that practice "post-normal" s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ pseudoscience.
That may be true in your case, I don't know. But there are a troubling number of posts here that say something like:

"Global Warming is a political stance. Nothing more."

Those folks will disbelieve all of scientists, unless the science happens to support their political position. Reality isn't considered because politics is all that matters to them, and they don't understand science well enough to know the difference anyway.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
The brush isn't all that wide... it only encompasses "scientists" that practice "post-normal" s̶c̶i̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ pseudoscience.
That may be true in your case, I don't know. But there are a troubling number of posts here that say something like:

Those folks will disbelieve all scientists, unless the science happens to support their political position. Reality isn't considered because politics is all that matters to them, and they don't understand science well enough to know the difference anyway.

99% of scientists would NEVER soil the sanctuary of science.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:48 PM

33,553 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What does it matter in the end? What are people supposed to do even knowing that global warming is real?

Name something practical and likely to happen.
Many things are already happening....The fuel economy of cars and light trucks has doubled in the last ten years...There has been a huge increase in the number of electric cars available

Even the large oil companies are building renewable energy facilities, as are many countries especially in Europe...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inve...ors-take-note/

https://www.bp.com/en/global/corpora...or-growth.html

https://www.shell.us/energy-and-inno...indenergy.html

https://www.chevron.com/corporate-re...newable-energy

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/05...ewable-energy/

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/c...ewable-energy/

Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 PM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post
I laugh and laugh at the warmers. Following are a list of lies:

1. The Ooo Zone is getting bigger........lie
2. The SUVs are destroying the climate.....lie
3. Acid rain........huge lie
4. Polar bears are dying off and soon there will be none.......lie
5. Soon (twenty years ago) California coastal cites will be under water........lie
6. Whales are dying because of polluted waters......lie
7. Soon people will be dying because of man made global warming..........lie.

Here is the truth:
Follow the money, find the lies. It's a hoax only fools fall for.
Don’t forget:

8. Antarctica is melting
9. Cows farting are contributing to global warming
10. Throwing taxpayer money at the problem, can change the weather
11. Voting for democrats will change the weather

Didn’t Al Gore predict the end of the world by now in is inconvenient truth movie?

If this is a global problem, what the hell is a Democrat going to do? Oh that’s right, pretend to “fix a problem” they have no control over while they get paid 6 figures.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:55 PM

33,553 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
"Cheap seats"?

We have already established that you have no formal scientific training, have no advanced degrees in an area of science, have never held a faculty position in a scientific field, and have never published in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.

You are a prime example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect, in which those with the least knowledge will claim expertise in an area, until provided with formal training. Every liberal who barely graduated from college and has no experience whatsoever in scientific research is now a certified "global warming expert".

Exactly how do you claim superior knowledge in science with no credentials whatsoever?
Because unlike you I rely on the research of genuine climate science....You keep bragging about your advanced degrees in science, but I'm not buying it....You have exposed your ignorance regarding climate science too many times.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:09 PM

1,675 posts, read 577,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

Those folks will disbelieve all scientists, unless the science happens to support their political position. Reality isn't considered because politics is all that matters to them, and they don't understand science well enough to know the difference anyway.

99% of scientists would NEVER soil the sanctuary of science.

This itself is a belief.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:18 PM

30,069 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Because unlike you I rely on the research of genuine climate science....You keep bragging about your advanced degrees in science, but I'm not buying it....You have exposed your ignorance regarding climate science too many times.

You have no background in science and therefore wouldn't know valid science if it hit you in the head. You are relying upon "science as told by journalists" and cannot objectively analyze methods of scientific papers, what constitutes a valid study, and whether the conclusions from the data is valid or not, let alone any knowledge of proper statistics.

So if you have no clue as to what constitutes valid science, how in the world can you claim that the "science" you believe is correct?

Answer:- You don't have the tools to understand the science and thus it makes sense that you cannot understand the information I have given you about CO2.

It is a classic case of "Dunning-Kruger Effect". You are an expert with no expertise.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I've gone around the block enough times with hawk that I can tell you he is indeed an intelligent person, and has a grasp on science (to a point). But he loses his grasp on it as soon as the science crosses the line and even smacks at representing a liberal value (climate, pot, etc).

He is a great example of the type I keep mentioning in this thread: His intelligence and logic are blinded by his politics, with no way for him to realize it. He will go to his grave with his twisted scientific views of the climate, no matter how apparent it becomes that he's wrong. Not because he's stubborn, it is simply he can't see it because the politics subconsciously takes precedence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies