Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Northam Resign?
Yes, he clearly has a problem and has lost credibility 98 71.53%
No, Democrat leaders in VA are right, he has a great current track record that speaks more than his past 39 28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 07:46 AM

2,434 posts, read 1,452,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So will black people who didn't descend directly from slaves have to pay it too?
Yep. The money will come from our government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 07:50 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,414,089 times
People who were not slaves have no argument for reparations.

It is actually a type of stolen valor to claim reparations if you were not a slave.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Yep. The money will come from our government.
Would that replace favored treatment for college admissions, as that is also a form of reparations?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Would that replace favored treatment for college admissions, as that is also a form of reparations?
You speaking on Affirmative Action? AA hasn't been very useful for black Americans for a while. The number one beneficiary of it are white Americans. Then when you do get to black Americans, the children of black immigrants take a piece of our crumbs. Full on reparations would include free tuition to the American descendants of slaves. So I have no problems getting rid of Affirmative Action, which has long since been about "diversity" and not correcting past wrongs of Jim Crow.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
You speaking on Affirmative Action? AA hasn't been very useful for black Americans for a while. The number one beneficiary of it are white Americans. Then when you do get to black Americans, the children of black immigrants take a piece of our crumbs. Full on reparations would include free tuition to the American descendants of slaves. So I have no problems getting rid of Affirmative Action, which has long since been about "diversity" and not correcting past wrongs of Jim Crow.
OK, that sounds good. Questions:

1) How would the American people be charged? Remember that half of all people have less than $400 available for emergencies. Would the total debt be collected and paid out over a span of many years?

2) What about the large segment of working class families, getting by on $40,000 or $50,000 a year? Would they have to pay too?

3) What about really low income people, those earning $9 an hour?

4) Would people on welfare also have to pay? Would it be deducted from their EBT card?

5) What percent of black people living here descended from slaves? Did you?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:24 AM

Oh, wait....I just found your thread on the topic of reparations. You're advocating for $400,000 per black person. You're delusional. Why should every black person get a free house when half of all white people can't afford to buy one for themselves?

Old 02-09-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
OK, that sounds good. Questions:

1) How would the American people be charged? Remember that half of all people have less than $400 available for emergencies. Would the total debt be collected and paid out over a span of many years?

2) What about the large segment of working class families, getting by on $40,000 or $50,000 a year? Would they have to pay too?

3) What about really low income people, those earning $9 an hour?

4) Would people on welfare also have to pay? Would it be deducted from their EBT card?

5) What percent of black people living here descended from slaves? Did you?

Realize these questions are never asked for anything else. The war in Iraq cost trillions of dollars. The bailouts had trillions of dollars moved around within wealthy circles. No one ever asked, how are we going to pay for all of that? This government just took your money. I don't hear poor folk complaining about that. Give to reparations the same kind of respect as you would those other things. Reparations is by far the most righteous action, that would put money into the hands of Americans. Isn't that what you want?

Now, the overwhelming majority of black Americans are descendants of slaves and those who lived through the Jim Crow era. You are overthinking this stuff. Around 5 million or more black persons out of the African American population are from recent immigrants. That leaves around 36-37 million black folk who have origins going back to slavery in this country.

Out of the poor people you're talking about in your questions, almost all of black America fit into that category. Only 9% of the white population are considered to be living in poverty. While over 25% of black Americans are living in poverty. So with reparations, that would lift the majority of people who are in deep poverty. That's the hole this country put black Americans in. It's the duty of this country to take us out.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:01 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,414,089 times
In other words, he thinks he should profit off the fact other people were slaves, simply because he has the same skin color.

This is large scale grifting.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
I don't think Northam should resign. I think what he did 35 years ago has little bearing on being governor of Virginia today.

Did he do something that was stupid? Yes.

Did he do something he shouldn't have done? Yes.

Did he do something he should be criticized for? Yes.

Did he do something he should resign for? No.

I remember being in college back in 1984. I did stupid things too. I did some things that I would never admit to anyone, but my wife. I hung out with people occasionally who engaged in telling various ethnic jokes. I found that a certain amount of bizarre behavior is common among people in high stress situations. Northam was in medical school which was a high stress environment. I was in law school which was a high stress environment. I am sure we both did things at the time that we would like to take back. Did either of us run afoul of the law? No. Did either of us do something to get ourselves expelled? No.

There is too little tolerance in society today for people acting outside certain politically correct constructs. No one is more defensive of minorities than I am. Very few people still support affirmative action--in some form--as I do. Yet, I refuse to condemn Northam based on what I see more as acting foolish rather than in a racist fashion.

Good heavens people. We have a president who actually went around the country years ago claiming that Barack Obama was born in another country! That was never any proof of that and that was racism. That's the kind of thing that ought to worry people. Not a strange photo in a school year book that is thirty-five years old.

It may not be popular to say so, but I think the efforts to get Northam resign over this are a bunch of nonsense.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:18 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Yes, I don't think Northam should resign either. Is blackface racist, yes? But is it a resign-able offense, no. You should only resign if you were caught doing something illegal. Blackface is not illegal. Let the voters decide in 3 years if they think Blackface disqualifies you from governorship. Even if those photos were just 1 day old as opposed to 35 years old, I'd say the samething. Unless it's illegal, you shouldn't be forced to resign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies