Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:10 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I guess if you live in a homogeneous area it would not be that great a loss but in any major city I can’t imagine avoiding a significant percentage of the population
I feel sorry for everyone. But what are the actual motives of racists? Do they see themselves as the good guys or the bad guys? What good do they think they are doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I despise racists, just as I despise any bigot or fascist. To stereotype entire groups of strangers as inferior to you, without knowing anything about them, simply based on physical appearances, etc... No I don't feel sorry for them
Racism doesn't mean you think everyone else is inferior. That is like second-grade levels of retarded public-education indoctrination.

Most racists hate Jews for instance. Do they think Jews are inferior? In what way? Don't Jews run the world? Don't they have most of the money and power? Don't they score highest on intelligence-tests?

Racists will gladly point-out the high IQ's of East Asians. As well as the superiority of blacks in certain athletic events. How does that equate to them being inferior? Or whites being superior?

Racism is merely a recognition of differences, and a preference for that group because of various physical, cognitive, and behavioral characteristics highly-correlated with race/ancestry/culture/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
I guess if you live in a homogeneous area it would not be that great a loss but in any major city I can’t imagine avoiding a significant percentage of the population
Everyone, and I mean everyone, is a racist is some form or fashion. It's a primal response to react differently towards things that look differently than you, to react differently to things that act weirdly or differently than you. It's why we are afraid of snakes and spiders and the dark. It's a primal reaction that we are all programmed with.

Same goes for humans you interact with. If they act strange, look strange, talk strange, you will have a primal aversion to this person until you are further informed with who this person is.

Add in ignorance and upbringing and we are all in fact racist.

Do you think, by nature, that black people like to hang out in black areas, have their own black culture, and do their own black things?
What about Asians, white folks, etc.

We all gravitate to what we know and what we're comfortable with, making each and everyone of us racists.

Everything is racist anyways: https://everythingisracism.com/

Old 02-06-2019, 08:35 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Racist comes in a wide variety of degrees.

Being racist doesn't even mean they dislike the other race.
They may get along fine with them in most ways but still have a bias in another.

Lastly, most cities have extremely homogeneous pockets and people can live, work, shop etc. without ever really leaving them.

My friends racist aunt was like that, but she had to work with other races so she just went in, did her job and never chit-chatted etc. did her work and went back to her community. (Please note, I left their race out intentionally because frankly it could be any race)

Lastly, very very few of us have lived in small towns, medium towns and large urban centers.

Let me be exceedingly clear that the idea that cities are more diverse is not entirely accurate.
They are in some ways, they definitely are not in others.

Probably the biggest fallacy I've seen is people from large urban centers that feel they're correct in their views and more diverse because they live in a big city where you can get food from 6 countries within a few blocks walk. Their own surroundings are more insular than they think in terms of lifestyle etc. despite definitely being more expansive in ways like culture.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:54 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,138 times
No. I grew up with racist parents and grandparents. They carved out exceptions for those of other races with whom they associated (the black maid for my parents, the hispanic tenant farmers for my grandparents) although even there they made it clear that those people were inferior. My grandparents and mother never changed that view through their lifetimes even though, while they were still alive, my view of them, and of other races generally, started diverting from theirs 180 degrees.

Only after my mother died, my father remarried, and a black professional family (accountant, engineer) with two children moved in next door to his house, did his views on race change...and when they did, he did his 180. The parents were as smart and at least as ambitious but friendly as anyone in our family was, and of course the children were adorable. And he adored all of them, and announced it to anyone who would listen. And the love and respect was returned, over and over again. The children, now young men, still put flowers on his grave every year, and we remain in close touch with the family.

The evidence, right next door, of that family's normality, work ethic, and family and community values destroyed his bigotry and the preconceptions it was built on. But until other bigots have that come-to-Jesus (Buddha, Allah, etc.) moment that change their minds, their bigotry will continue to contaminate this nation. The evidence underlying their beliefs may not be next door, but it's not difficult to see, if they will only open their eyes to it. It's the fear of losing their cherished, tarnished beliefs that keeps their eyes squeezed shut.

Their choice, their loss.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:57 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times
I feel more sorry for people who's lives revolves around race and who are looking for racism everywhere.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:03 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Default Racists——Don’t You Feel a Bit Sorry for Them

Exactly WHO decides what and who a racist is? Racist is possibly the most used and abused word in the English language. I get so tired of insults! Why is it necessary to label people? Personally, if someone insults me, the conversation is over. My mother used to say; If all you ever look for in a person is negativity or something you don't like, it's all you'll ever find.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:00 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Everyone, and I mean everyone, is a racist is some form or fashion.

Yup! My wife and I go to Thailand every year and I normally will go tanning for the prior month so I don't get a bad sunburn when we go to the beaches. My wife is Asian and has a natural year around tan complexion so she doesn't have to go. But as I'm walking out the door, she yells at me "don't forget to tan after work white boy."

Is that racist? She's just kidding around and I found it funny. Further proof that this term is sooooo watered down and overused these days. When I hear the word racist, my reaction most often is..... meh (unless it does in fact turn out to be a blatantly racist act).

Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,092,829 times
Democrats are the true racists today in the West. Yes, I do feel very sorry for them.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:15 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Democrats are the true racists today in the West. Yes, I do feel very sorry for them.
Were those Democrats who marched in Charlottesville with a tiki torch in one hand and giving the Hitler salute with the other?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Old 02-06-2019, 10:25 AM

11,802 posts, read 5,804,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I despise racists, just as I despise any bigot or fascist. To stereotype entire groups of strangers as inferior to you, without knowing anything about them, simply based on physical appearances, etc... No I don't feel sorry for them
But in a way - you're doing that right now. I honestly don't get all the back and forth. There is much less racism today than there was in the past. I remember my grandmother and her friends go on about Nat King Cole - Johnny Mathis and Sidney Poitier - looking back when racism was more prevalent and yet these entertainers were loved by all - black, white and purple.

If racism is so bad - Oprah would still be a weathergirl in Chicago. Her audience was mostly white women who didn't see her for the color of her skin but as someone who addressed issues and a variety of topics.

There will always be those that hate - but actually stereotyping everyone because they don't agree with a Muslim, black whatever is just adding to the hate as people get sick of being told they are something they know they aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies