Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:03 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
Do you feel sorry a guy from Senegal who strongly dislikes African-Americans?

How about if a white person likes the Chinese, but the Cambodians, not so much? Or if a white person generally likes people from the Ivory Coast, but generally dislikes the common African-American?

What to do what to do???
Not that many Cambodian immigrants probably won’t affect the chump’s life that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 01:25 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
I only feel sorry for people who think other people are racist just becausr they don't share the same political opinions. Those are the worse kind .

Old 02-06-2019, 01:41 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
I can't speak for them all, but I do feel sorry for a lifelong friend since childhood who became racist as a young adult.

He got into a fight with a couple of black shipmates while in the Navy, and did some brig time. While it is a blot on his service record, it wasn't a big blot.

After he was discharged, he let the incident go for decades; he's always had a hot temper, and that temper has gotten him into many fights. But with age and a couple of divorces, for reasons I can't fathom, somehow a grudge against 2 guys has turned into a grudge against everyone who's their color over the past 10 years or so.

The strangest thing about it to me is he had a black lady, a young single mother who lived across the street from him for a long time. He and his then-wife became friends to her, and would have her and her daughter over to their house all the time, gave her some money when she was struggling, and helped her out many times.

I was serving in the Navy at the same time, and during my hitch, a black shipmate saved my life once, hauling me out of a bar in South America where he saw I was going to get into trouble when I never realized it.

We were good friends, and I think that because he was more sensitive to white hostility than I was, he saw that trouble forming in a bunch of locals in the bar I was oblivious to. He was just passing by- we weren't together- saw me, rushed in, and got me out of there lickety-split.

My old pal knows that story well, as I've told it to him a few times, I'm sure, so he never brings the subject up when I'm around him. but I know he watches the cable news and stews; his kids have told me that, and it worries them. He's all alone now, retired unhappily, drinks too much, and in bad shape mentally and physically.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:44 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Yes, part of me can't blame them. I mean, they're still intolerant and ignorant people, but still. If all you've ever known is an all white, all black, Asian, Hispanic, etc community, when you come across someone from a different culture, it's natural to not understand them. And because they're not like you, don't have the same customs, traditions, etc, and you don't understand them, it's easy to just dismiss and not like them.

And it's easier (see: lazier) to just judge and dislike a culture different from yours than it is to put forth effort to understand it.

Dr. Suess tried his best to teach young children about intolerance of others with his book "The Star-bellied Sneetches." Link - https://coolcleveland.com/wp-content...sneetches2.jpg

That said, I do not feel sorry for racists, as most of them are lazy, intolerant, and looking for a scapegoat to blame their problems on.

One cannot label people for communing together under a variety of reasons as being racists.
Are Hasidics, Quakers,Mormons,etc...racists?
No ..they are not.
Would it be fair if the above labeled... other people whom enjoy diversity as racists? Absolutely not.

People make individual choices where and with whom they want to live and associate with as long as
the American freedoms are not trampled.

Stop the sniveling...........
There is no such thing as the thought police.
Live and let Live.
In the end people will either love or dislike you for the person you are.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:45 AM

938 posts, read 445,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Not that many Cambodian immigrants probably won’t affect the chump’s life that much.
You've done a lousy job of explaining yourself and answering questions on this thread.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:12 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,118 times
Quote:
It’s mostly based on either not spending enough time with members of the group you dislike or with the wrong type of those members. The most per capita racists are most likely prison inmates.

When people mix with each other they soon we are hell of a lot more alike than different.
I've spent plenty of time. Having been in retail most of my working life, I encountered all types. Mostly high-income.

Stereotypes are created organically, so 500-years from now, nothing will be different.

I've mixed as you say. Like everyone, I have friends, aquaintences and co-workers of all races, but socially, sexually, and in marriage I'm on the reservation.

And that's the way it is.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:43 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
What race is my daughter?
Does it really matter?

Old 02-06-2019, 06:46 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Not only that, the term "racist" really has lost it's punching power because seemingly everything and everybody is racist...
and according to the hypocritical left the only people that can be racist are white anyway. speaking of which have we gotten Bill Mahrs non-apology apology THIS time, yet?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:45 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,013,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Does it really matter?
well...…….you asked which race to choose who is following her...…….I just thought you would have choices about what race the "daughter" would be...…….

Old 02-06-2019, 07:50 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
I guess if you live in a homogeneous area it would not be that great a loss but in any major city I can’t imagine avoiding a significant percentage of the population

I despise racists, just as I despise any bigot or fascist. To stereotype entire groups of strangers as inferior to you, without knowing anything about them, simply based on physical appearances, etc... No I don't feel sorry for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies