Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you impressed by the State of the Union Address?
YES 158 63.97%
NO 89 36.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 11:08 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We've had a crisis at our border for decades now. It's become more critical with several caravans marching up to our border with thousands in them from Central America and expecting to gain entry into our country either by making bogus asylum claims or forcing their way into our country. All Trump wants to do is to fix and complete the physical barriers that were already approved by congress back in 2006. How anyone could oppose that is beyond me.

Our infrastructures and healthcare needs are separate issues. Since when can't we walk and chew gum at the same time so to speak? We've always funded all the programs that we have needed. Why this claim that we will have to sacrifice any of the above in order to secure our border? That makes no sense at all. Only those with an agenda would claim otherwise as they are just making lame excuses not to build the good physical barriers where it is feasible. Their real agendas are obvious.
Not that you and the rest forever repeating the same thing will ever get this argument right. No doubt you prefer your straw man version for obvious reasons, but here's yet another attempt at trying to balance the scales of reason and understanding just a bit...

There is a lot of information that demonstrates the negative effects of illegal immigration. Just for starters, I have a hard time ignoring illegal activity to begin with. I don't think the problem is a "threat to national security," but I do believe in the rule of law that is only as effective as the law is taken seriously. I'm not sure it would be a bad idea to make it easier for more immigrants to work legally in this country, rather than deem them criminals for doing so, and that's yet another option, but as long as the immigration is deemed illegal, it only makes sense to minimize that activity just like we strive to do when it comes to any other illegal activity.

I HAVE looked at a lot of statistics touting the benefits and/or costs of illegal immigration, and they do suggest better border security and better immigration policies are worth pursuing. How and at what cost is not so clear.

I am disappointed in the way Trump has made this the issue that it is today. Don't even get me started on the government shutdown, but I think everyone on all sides of this issue should not let Trump and all his crap distract from the facts that need to be addressed. By doing so objectively, I think the short-comings of Trump's "big beautiful wall" become all the more evident, but this doesn't make the problems and challenges of illegal immigration go away.

Again the issue and/or problem of illegal immigration and border security has been "alive and well" long before Trump began pushing his wall. The support, effort and expense to secure the border is nothing new. It's the HOW that we're now more focused upon, again, and the cost.

I've never been convinced Trump's wall is the best of our options, and of course this is at least part of why Trump isn't getting his way, but hopefully whatever is ultimately negotiated and agreed upon will demonstrate better appreciation of what the problems truly are, all considered. Whatever the effort to improve border security and/or change immigration policy, I advocate for more in the way of critical thinking and less in the way of political posturing based on misrepresentation of facts. And to get on with it already! So we might be able to move on to our REAL problems that truly DO affect most average Americans in far more significant ways.

There I go with a big load of wishful thinking again, but at a minimum I think this better explains what you can't imagine anyone would oppose, and why.

"Our infrastructures and healthcare needs are separate issues." Agreed, but I sure wish Trump put as much energy into these more important issues as he does his "big beautiful" ego. I mean wall...

Old 02-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I have a problem with him calling women whores then again I respect women maybe that’s the difference between us.
Thanks for pointing out yet another degree of difference. Yet another example of one big stretch of a difference!

Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You said your point still stands....

I've apologized before and even had a thread closed because I was wrong...and the left still bashed me even after apologizing....

Lets get back to your original point...you said Hillary said something while not being president...so it does not matter what she said.....now you and the left complain about things that trump said while not president...that called being a hy...hypoc...hypocrite.....
I don’t know what Hillary said to be honest. At any rate if what you said about her is true she just as bad as a Trump is. The sad thing that Trump supporters can justify what Trump said as president or even before he became president, and turn a blind eye to it.

So can Hillary supporters but again she isn’t the president. They should be held to a higher standard as president. No matter the party.

So carry on with trying to justify it anyway you want Hillary/Trump it’s wrong either eay.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:15 AM

25,451 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Yes... you are right the democrats tried to pass bills to open the government..without compromise.

Compromise: An agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions...

Note: the part about making concessions.

It is most likely the grudge democrats are still suffering after the last presidential election..you should really get over that and move on.
Dems and Reps agreed on a bill weeks before shutdown that included border security. Trump was going to sign it, but he walked away. He got to proudly own the shutdown, as he said. There was a compromise and even Trump was on board, until he wasn't.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You obviously don't know trump ,it is what I said it was.
Yet another round of comprehension issues I see. Seems to be a common problem when attempting exchange of opinion with certain people...

Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 AM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yet another round of comprehension issues I see. Seems to be a common problem when attempting exchange of opinion with certain people...

Then you need to read the rest of the conversation....before spewing...

Old 02-08-2019, 11:21 AM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
I don’t know what Hillary said to be honest. At any rate if what you said about her is true she just as bad as a Trump is. The sad thing that Trump supporters can justify what Trump said as president or even before he became president, and turn a blind eye to it.

So can Hillary supporters but again she isn’t the president. They should be held to a higher standard as president. No matter the party.

So carry on with trying to justify it anyway you want Hillary/Trump it’s wrong either eay.

The entire point is, you clearly said she did not say it while president ( I understand she never was)....

I clearly said then we don't have to worry about what trump said while not being president, then....

Old 02-08-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
If Hillary WAS president then that would be an issue but as you Trump supporters like to point out Trump won not Hillary. So this about him stop with the deflection it’s getting old .
"Getting old?"

The strategy of deflecting attention from all things wrong with Trump by pointing in all directions elsewhere, most commonly Hillary and Obama of course, has been going on ever since Trump supporters began supporting Trump.

"Getting old?"

By now we all know the routine, and although ignoring all the deflection in every other direction doesn't end that sort of nonsense, it sure does help to stay focused on the real issues in America today, most certainly including Trump.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Ok, I've had enough of your personal attacks. You might want to follow the rules of the TOS of this forum. Lefty liberals provide so-called facts from mostly biased sources that aren't factual while ignoring the opinions of the Border Patrol themselves just for starters and keep defending illegal aliens where there is no defense of lawlessness, economically or otherwise. Off to my ignore list you go.
You continually use the same ol' "they cost us $100 billion a year" line. That has been proven false but I have to commend you for sticking with it.

Off to the my ignore list you go!

Eventually you will be talking to yourself because the amount of people you have on your ignore list. Must be nice to always be right especially when talking to yourself.

Last edited by Timmyy; 02-08-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I stand corrected. My point still stands , why couldn’t he say you look beautiful? Or very lovely?
Instead this is how it came across.

https://youtu.be/gp73v7BbOgc

I don’t run but the fact that Trump supporters can’t see facts and twist them as they see are gets old.
"Gets old?"

Uhhh...

Oh never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies