Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times

Advertisements

Is like to add another one that indicates you're an anti-Semite:

if you call all Jews "Israelis" - as a point of derision - regardless of their citizenship or where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 09:51 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

if you call all Jews "Israelis" - as a point of derision - regardless of their citizenship or where they live.
For sure.

I edited that one out (in the interest of brevity) only because I have never heard anyone do this.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
For sure.

I edited that one out (in the interest of brevity) only because I have never heard anyone do this.
It was just done to me another thread this morning. The poster criticized "the Israelis posting on this thread," and when I pointed out that only one person was Israeli, he came back and said that if you're a Jew who supports Israel, even though you're not a citizen of Israel, you're an Israeli because you are more loyal to another country not your own.

That's how bad it's gotten in far-left circles: Any Jew who supports Israel is considered a traitor, and is given what they consider an insulting label: an Israeli.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
It was just done to me another thread this morning. The poster criticized "the Israelis posting on this thread," and when I pointed out that only one person was Israeli, he came back and said that if you're a Jew who supports Israel, even though you're not a citizen of Israel, you're an Israeli because you are more loyal to another country not your own.

That's how bad it's gotten in far-left circles: Any Jew who supports Israel is considered a traitor, and is given what they consider an insulting label: an Israeli.
Yikes.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:

Actually, that sort of echoes one of the objections when Kennedy ran for president: some of his critics feared that, as a Catholic, he would be more loyal to the Pope and to Rome than to the US. I don't say that to excuse anything, it's just an interesting bit of history.

On to the bold type. I think you may be letting your conservatism blind you to the fact that this kind of thinking is not exclusive to, or even typical of, those on the "far left." I looked for the conversation you mentioned, and I have to say, I have seen similar comments from people I consider to be on the far right, as well as some whose affections are all over the place, in terms of policy. In a nutshell, I believe that assigning the antisemite label to either "side" is a gross oversimplification.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, that sort of echoes one of the objections when Kennedy ran for president: some of his critics feared that, as a Catholic, he would be more loyal to the Pope and to Rome than to the US. I don't say that to excuse anything, it's just an interesting bit of history.

On to the bold type. I think you may be letting your conservatism blind you to the fact that this kind of thinking is not exclusive to, or even typical of, those on the "far left." I looked for the conversation you mentioned, and I have to say, I have seen similar comments from people I consider to be on the far right, as well as some whose affections are all over the place, in terms of policy. In a nutshell, I believe that assigning the antisemite label to either "side" is a gross oversimplification.
As far as the bold type, the content might make for an interesting thread: specifically, the antisemitism on the right vs the antisemitism on the left. In my experience, it is rising on the left, and there is a chilling willingness, among far too many "far-lefties," to tolerate it - and that, together with my increasing conservativism on policy issues, has pushed me further away from Democrats. (I once was one, as were the majority of Jews who currently vote Republican.)

During the uproar over the antisemitism at the leadership level of the Women's March, for instance, I was told by more than one liberal that while they don't approve of the antisemitism, the Women's March does a lot of good and people should look past "the Jewish stuff." I would wonder whether similar would have been said if a group of conservatives, the "Women for Life" group, had leaders praising Richard Spencer as a great man, and followers said that this woman's group was doing good and we should overlook "the black stuff."

Did you see the NTY opinion piece a couple of weeks ago entitled "Ant-Semites on the Left....Racists on the Right"? I'll see if I can dig it up and post a link. It's good food for thought, IMO.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:

All Jews are Israelis. It's a matter of Israeli law.

If you don't like the law, then change it.

Quote:
I would argue that it falls under the category of ignorance rather than evil. But, yeah.
Quote:
The fact that you even think that Jews have "a penchant for haggling for the lowest possible price" reveals your antisemitism.
It's neither ignorance nor anti-Semitism, it's historical fact.

Why don't you actually study history, instead of just thinking about?

Jews developed the concept of the Middle-Man.

If you're a buyer, what do you do?

There's no such thing as TV, radio or newspapers. The concepts of marketing and advertising don't exist yet.

Enter the Jewish Middle-Man.

Jews had extensive business contacts in the community, and in the non-Jewish community where they were, and also extensive contacts with other Jewish communities in the area.

So, a Jew knows a buyer, and then knows a Jew in another community who knows a Jew in another community who knows a seller.

You marry the two together. That's how commercial trade transactions were conducted from the Medieval Period on.

Naturally, the Jew Middle-Man wants a piece of the action.

And, it's only fair, because without his intervention, the trade transaction would never take place, and both parties, the buyer and the seller, would suffer, so it's advantageous to everyone involved.

Of course, he wants the biggest piece of the pie he can get, and he would haggle over the fee for facilitating the trade transaction.

Later, after accumulating a lot of wealth and even more extensive contacts, Jewish Middle-Men would buy directly from sellers and haggle to get the lowest possible price, then turn around and resell the goods for the highest possible price.

Thus, the concepts of wholesale and retail were born.

We know that, because there are personal journals and diaries of both Jews and non-Jews involved in those trade transactions, and also documents of the trade transactions, including contracts.

Quote:
How would it be if I were to say that "blacks have a special skill for being lazy"? That's not a racist attitude?
It depends on whether it's true or not. I personally don't believe it to be true, nor have I seen any evidence to support the claim, so I would reject it.

If it would be true, it would be a generalization, and it might even rise to the level of stereo-type, but that doesn't inherently make it racist.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
All Jews are Israelis. It's a matter of Israeli law . . . It's neither ignorance nor anti-Semitism, it's historical fact.
If someone doesn't know something, it means they are ignorant.

Thanks for your post. I didn't know that.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
If someone doesn't know something, it means they are ignorant.

Thanks for your post. I didn't know that.
As far as all Jews being Israelis, first I've heard of it!

I know we have the RIGHT to become Israelis if we so choose, but unless we do, we're not. And when Micea says that if I don't like the Israeli law, change it; I ask how? I'm not Israeli, I don't vote in their elections, and I have no say-so over Israel's laws.

From the American Jews' standpoint, we are Americans. The fact that some of our fellow Americans consider us something other than Americans is disgusting....and anti-Semitic.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:48 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
I appreciate that OP simply encountered a list on a newsfeed then tossed it out for comments.

After reading through this thread, the whole vehicle of "a list" is increasingly unattractive. Too much is subject to interpretation or context.

On the thread, we have folks of various backgrounds using the list and associated experiences to decide who - not so much on the thread - or what might be antisemitic.

The process is starting to feel a bit like what it's repudiating.

At some point, you simply need to be in a situation then figure it out from there.

An important first step is perhaps to ask the other person involved about what they are, in fact, saying.

Are you, in fact, hearing what you believe you are?

A list is at best a categorizing tool to organize thoughts.

Maybe it is wise not to take listed items too literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies