Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,381,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Trump didn't do anything to you, bigtime or otherwise.

Your home state did, and has been for as long as you have lived under a high tax system that they hid behind that deduction. The SALT cap simply revealed that truth to you, and also took the taxpayers living in the other 49 states off the hook for your state's taxation policies.

You are simply being taxed more honestly and transparently, and yeah, in a high tax state, that probably stings a good bit. Instead of blaming Trump for no longer letting your state diffuse your tax burden to the entire country, why not demand your state lower their freaking taxes? All politics are local, after all.

Exactly! And hey - liberals are all about "paying your fair share" so if you have two houses and a nice high income and can no longer deduct the real estate taxes just think how good you must feel to be PAYING YOUR FAIR SHARE. Meanwhile those middle class folks who have one house and are now getting a lower tax rate (thank you to the tax reform) are benefitting. See -- doesn't that feel great?

Even though I do support the tax reform and think it is working I disagree with the corporate tax cut -- should have just stayed the same since you cannot trust corporations anymore to use the money to hire more people at good salaries. They are hoarding cash and that does not benefit society.

So I can be reasonable but I support the tax reform and think in the end it will work just fine. Sorry if the rich people in California and New York aren't happy -- but they hate President Trump anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 07:36 AM

89,045 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Every ones situation is different.I'm just happy I don't have to pay rich peoples property taxes and other freebies any more.They are finally paying their fair share.
Have to agree.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Just finished my tax returns...Thanks for NOTHING Trump! (Congress, money, state)
I ended up with a massive tax hike, as did millions of others.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:39 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
I’m getting a yuge refund.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:40 AM

380 posts, read 164,216 times
Me too!

Old 04-11-2019, 07:40 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
I did not get a large tax hike, but I have to pay several thousand dollars more than was withheld because the Trump admin deliberately cooked the withholding tables to make it look like the tax break was bigger than it actually was. I was aware of this, but was surprised by how much. In sum, I paid a fraction of a percent more than I would have under last year's rules because I got capped on local taxes (in a red state) and lost my exemptions for age and kids.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 AM

2,923 posts, read 978,770 times
I paid a lot less than last year and made more. Do all you people hit by the SALT limit live in big cities?

Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 AM

89,045 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Exactly! And hey - liberals are all about "paying your fair share" so if you have two houses and a nice high income and can no longer deduct the real estate taxes just think how good you must feel to be PAYING YOUR FAIR SHARE. Meanwhile those middle class folks who have one house and are now getting a lower tax rate (thank you to the tax reform) are benefitting. See -- doesn't that feel great?

Even though I do support the tax reform and think it is working I disagree with the corporate tax cut -- should have just stayed the same since you cannot trust corporations anymore to use the money to hire more people at good salaries. They are hoarding cash and that does not benefit society.

So I can be reasonable but I support the tax reform and think in the end it will work just fine. Sorry if the rich people in California and New York aren't happy -- but they hate President Trump anyway.
And they're the same people who decried Trump's tax reform as 'tax cuts for the rich.' They're either idiots or deliberately being deceptive. Take your pick... But I'm getting a good chuckle out of the fact that those 'tax cuts for the rich' bit them in the butt...

Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
My 2018 income was slightly less than 2017.

My 2018 taxes are slightly higher.

GOP "tax cuts."

Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 AM

2,362 posts, read 778,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
I paid a lot less than last year and made more. Do all you people hit by the SALT limit live in big cities?
Or states with high taxes. It's easy to see how a middle class family, who owns 1 home, and earns a middle class income in California, will easily hit that SALT limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies