Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 04:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No need. All that needs to happen is that they live within or below their means.
And what makes you think they aren't "living within their means"? I really get tired of this holier than thou attitude that seems to be pervasive in these threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 04:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You don't have to be poor in order to use your refund as a 'bonus' of some kind. My tax advisor told me years ago that if one is a great saver - then keep more if your paycheck if you know you AREN'T a great saver - then use your refund to accumulate some money.
Exactly! Especially when bank interest is less than 1%. Maybe these financial gurus think these people should go open a Fidelity brokerage account and invest their $75 or $100 a month in the stock market?

Old 02-13-2019, 04:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No need. All that needs to happen is that they live within or below their means.
Why should they when Trump bullies the Fed into not allowing interest rates to be closer to market? We are "told things" by the actions of our admins. Low interest rates say "a party going on".

When a POTUS called HIMSELF the "King of Debt", what is he telling people?

Given this leadership, all these folks should be heroes of the Trumpies - after all, Donald always bought things (like his boat and the Taj Mahal in AC) that he could not afford. Then he filed Bankruptcy...

Shouldn't a smart citizen do the same?

Old 02-13-2019, 04:27 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
If people are on the Fed Govt payroll, of course they would want people to give their bosses an interest free loan.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Exactly! Especially when bank interest is less than 1%. Maybe these financial gurus think these people should go open a Fidelity brokerage account and invest their $75 or $100 a month in the stock market?
Early on I lamented about that 32 in extra interest I paid the government for underpaying them.

Same deal goes with overpaying, which I have done by many thousands. It gets applied to the next quarterly estimate.....and I could have "made" $50 or $100 by taking an hour or two and calculating everything exactly as I went along and trying to pay perfectly.

Doesn't matter either way, really.

That certainly is not the problem with larger or smaller refunds.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:30 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Why would anyone in this forum give you "the numbers"? It's none of your business. If they need help figuring out their taxes they can get free help from IRS, And I'm sure it would be better than relying upon self taught tax experts on an anonymous internet forum.
Here's the gist... The OP complained about paying more in taxes in 2018 than in 2017, and also claimed he/she earned more in 2018 than 2017 and was still in the same marginal tax bracket. Here's where the lack of comprehension comes in... Every additional dollar one earns above their top marginal tax bracket minimum threshold is taxed at that highest marginal tax rate. That means the increase in his/her income over that in 2017 was taxed at that highest marginal tax rate. So, of course the OP paid more in federal income tax than in 2017, and likely a higher effective federal income tax rate, as well.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:30 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
Well how else do we pay for all the gifts {entitlements } to the new illegals { undocumented immigrants }.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 PM

13,965 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Why would anyone in this forum give you "the numbers"? It's none of your business. If they need help figuring out their taxes they can get free help from IRS, And I'm sure it would be better than relying upon self taught tax experts on an anonymous internet forum.
The "numbers" are the percentage of (total federal tax paid - (FICA + Mediwelfare))/federal taxable AGI for tax years 2017 and 2018.

If the percentage for 2018 is higher than 2017, than yes, the OP "paid" more taxes. If not, then they paid less or the same. The two percentages aren't exactly privacy data, since they don't have any meaning that relates to income, deductions, etc. Just two percentages compared to one another.

But thanks for sticking up for the mathematically illiterate. Math is hard, and they need your protection. :thumbs:

Old 02-13-2019, 05:11 PM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
that actually depends on where in Jersey

go up to Newton, Green or Sparta, and you are in the country...and you can get a real nice place for 250k.... nothing near you, might have to drive a half hour to get to a real grocery store.. but it is there

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-67821?view=qv

180k nearly 3000sf
Well, yeah, but that's a short sale, not a normal market price.

And you are right. My sister lives in Hamburg, and she got a condo for $143K with more square footage than mine that I bought for $180K in Monmouth. In Sussex County, and probably in some of the South Jersey counties, you could find something for $250K. Still wouldn't be a "palace", but a nice enough house.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, yeah, but that's a short sale, not a normal market price.

And you are right. My sister lives in Hamburg, and she got a condo for $143K with more square footage than mine that I bought for $180K in Monmouth. In Sussex County, and probably in some of the South Jersey counties, you could find something for $250K. Still wouldn't be a "palace", but a nice enough house.
MQ - He didn't point out that the yearly property tax bill on that home was $12,360 in figuring out the monthly payment. But being a NJ house that amount of property tax doesn't require an exclamation point. I feel for your sister in Hamburg having to travel down Rte 23 on a snowy, icy day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies