Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 09:33 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You have to be brilliant to save money?
No you have to be a brilliant to tell other people they aren't as smart as you on the internet. Takes a special person of high moral character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Just finished my tax returns...

I made more money, paid more in taxes and am getting back 1/3 the amount I got last year!

SOOOOOO HAAAPPPPY your rich 1% buddies got a tax break, they REEEAAAALLY need it.

Congrats however, now I know I'm voting for ANYONE but Trump.
At least you are getting something back lol.
My family paid more taxes this year and we owe money. Just lovely.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:36 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
No you have to be a brilliant to tell other people they aren't as smart as you on the internet. Takes a special person of high moral character.
It actually IS common sense to save 4% or even 7% interest on debt rather than to give the Fed Gov an interest free loan. How does that fact confuse you?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:37 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Just finished my tax returns...

I made more money, paid more in taxes and am getting back 1/3 the amount I got last year!

SOOOOOO HAAAPPPPY your rich 1% buddies got a tax break, they REEEAAAALLY need it.

Congrats however, now I know I'm voting for ANYONE but Trump.

You should really look at your withholding. It's better to get very little back. Otherwise you are giving a free loan to the government.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Same thing. That's just like... Hmmm... should I overpay my federal income tax liability by $200/month so I can get a tax refund at the end of the year on which the Fed Gov pays no interest? Or should I pay down a 7-8% interest rate debt by an extra $200/month. It's a no-brainer to me. But a HUGE percentage of the US population just doesn't get it. WHY is that? Serious question...
What exactly are you talking about. We take no deductions (claim 0) and we owe money. What could we do differently? What common sense are we missing here?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
What exactly are you talking about. We take no deductions (claim 0) and we owe money. What could we do differently? What common sense are we missing here?
Owing isn't bad. I owe, too, every year, above what I've already paid in quarterly estimates. As long as you keep what you owe within the amount that doesn't generate additional penalties/fees/interest from the RS, you're good to go.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:56 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,654 times
Good Lord... the "Free Loan to the govt" stuff is getting old.

In the real world, where many of us work 50-70 hours per week and have to help our kids because healthcare is beyond their means, any money we get is quickly assigned to NEEDS not WANTS.

We have to choose to get heating oil, wait on car repairs, re-gift our gift cards etc.

Choosing to have a little more taken out is nothing but a hedge against OWING, because none of us working stiffs know what's in store at tax time.
All I know this year is Trump screwed us royally so his 1% buddies can keep more of their obscene wealth.

The interest we lose out on is a pittance.
An online bank like Capital One pays almost nothing and a six month CD is barely any better.
What's the return on $3000? $30?? $50?? Worth the peace of mind.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:07 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Owing isn't bad. I owe, too, every year, above what I've already paid in quarterly estimates. As long as you keep what you owe within the amount that doesn't generate additional penalties/fees/interest from the RS, you're good to go.
You completely ignored the question you were asked to come back with a ridiculous response of, owing is good! Of all the inane posts of yours in this thread--and there are many--this one is the worst. Yeah, we ALL think owing money is a good thing. Inanity doesn't begin to cover it.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Good Lord... the "Free Loan to the govt" stuff is getting old.

In the real world, where many of us work 50-70 hours per week and have to help our kids because healthcare is beyond their means, any money we get is quickly assigned to NEEDS not WANTS.
So, WHY pay the Fed Gov MORE than they're entitled to collect? Do you understand that under such circumstances, you're CHOOSING to overpay the Fed Gov instead of paying down interest accruing debt, helping your kids, or paying for health care?
Quote:
We have to choose to get heating oil, wait on car repairs, re-gift our gift cards etc.
Then, DON'T overpay the Fed Gov just to get an interest-free tax refund at the end of the year. That's colossally stupid.
Quote:
Choosing to have a little more taken out is nothing but a hedge against OWING, because none of us working stiffs know what's in store at tax time.
All I know this year is Trump screwed us royally so his 1% buddies can keep more of their obscene wealth.
Actually, 1%-ers are paying MORE under tax reform. Here's why: Tax Reform’s Wealthy Losers

Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You completely ignored the question you were asked to come back with a ridiculous response of, owing is good! Of all the inane posts of yours in this thread--and there are many--this one is the worst. Yeah, we ALL think owing money is a good thing. Inanity doesn't begin to cover it.
You're just astonishingly clueless. Owing a little, to the extent that the amount owed accrues no penalties or interest, is LESS punitive than giving the Fed Gov an interest free loan. At this point, it's obvious that you don't get it and that you're just one of the many financial illiterates. /SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies