Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 08:32 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Yes. Very.

No because that blows the issue out of proportion and seen by those not in the know to assume conflate and falsely equate.
Example. AR15s are mislabeled as assault rifles.
They're not.
The definition of assault rifle is compact rifle/carbine, firing an intermediate cartridge (between full powered rifle and pistol caliber) Capable of selective rates of fire.

I'll repeat that last line.
Capable of selective rates of fire. Meaning semi auto, full auto, or burst. Not a single one is an assault rifle openly available for public consumption.

Hughes amendment bans production and consumption of a machinegun/Assault rifle by the general populace.

Here's an ad back when Colt introduced the AR15 to market. It was not labeled "assault rifle"

So no. You dont be overly dramatic if you are genuine.

That is not how mechanics diagnose your vehicles problem or how a doctor diagnoses your health concerns.

Unconstitutional. No limit on keeping and bearing arms.
I would fall under such a list.
Why? Conflating domestic terrorist = any and all who own multiple firearms.

This is why gun control does not work.

Focus on motive incentive intent. not the inanimate object.

Again... focus on motive incentive and intent...
And not conflate/assume or be overly dramatic.
Good way to explain it. Had someone else explain that many people have 15 guns -- it isn't that unusual. I appreciate your time.

For someone that doesn't any guns 15 seems to be 'overkill'.... but that's why I asked.

And I was being genuine....to me that looks like some major stuff.....it just does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 08:34 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Good way to explain it. Had someone else explain that many people have 15 guns -- it isn't that unusual. I appreciate your time.

For someone that doesn't any guns 15 seems to be 'overkill'.... but that's why I asked.
Hey, credit where credit is due. Thank you for reaching out and asking. I wish both sides did.

I hope both sides learned something here.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:41 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
I think the OP was genuine in the question. Sincerely wondering if it would be a control measure to consider.

It’s already been said about different guns for different purposes. Add in that family may pass them down.

The bottom line is correct, only one at a time is used. Being around hunters, I can say that 15 is not unusual for one to own. They always seem to want the latest as well. The same as people like new shoes but can only wear one pair at a time.

I understand OP’s question and appreciate that it was posed as such.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:01 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
f someone wants to kill a lot of random people there are plenty of ways to do it that don't involve guns at all.
Knives

Poison/ Drugs

Ropes

Rolling pins

Rocks

Boulders

Matches

Cars (When someone kills someone else in a car accident...No one blames the car!

For that matter, when Lee Harvey Oswald killed President John Kennedy, no one blamed the Mannlicher–Carcano bolt action single shot rifle)

Old 02-21-2019, 09:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
what part of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

Old 02-21-2019, 09:41 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Here is the problem with gun laws, and mind you, I am no fan of guns.

Basically at this point guns are an integral part of our culture. Americans, for good or bad, see themselves still in terms of the wild west, fighting off bad hombres or whatever. Gun laws are not going to change that mind set, and at this point with 250 million guns floating around, it is pointless. There are so many of them that if some psycho wants to kill your kids at their high school, he is going to get his guns and do it. We have created this monster and now we have to live with it. The best you can do is to be sure to tell your kids you love 'em every morning when they go to school because it might be the last time you see them.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:52 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Am I the only one that saw the picture of the supposed "Arsenal" and laughed? I'd call that arsenal a starter kit.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:53 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Here is the problem with gun laws, and mind you, I am no fan of guns.

Basically at this point guns are an integral part of our culture. Americans, for good or bad, see themselves still in terms of the wild west, fighting off bad hombres or whatever. Gun laws are not going to change that mind set, and at this point with 250 million guns floating around, it is pointless. There are so many of them that if some psycho wants to kill your kids at their high school, he is going to get his guns and do it. We have created this monster and now we have to live with it. The best you can do is to be sure to tell your kids you love 'em every morning when they go to school because it might be the last time you see them.
Cut the chit.

Maybe repeal your 94 gun free school act which is federal law banning firearms on schools property, extinguishing faculty members and anyone who doesn't have a badge their right to self defense and to serve as a deterrence. Follow the spirit of the 2nd.

I would gladly stand armed outside any school to ensure not a soul is harmed within it as a form of community service/volunteering, as a supplement to law enforcement.

You?
What's your solution? Label everyone who owns, trains, or has an interest in arms automatically heinous or evil wanting to maim or kill?

Old 02-21-2019, 09:55 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Am I the only one that saw the picture of the supposed "Arsenal" and laughed? I'd call that arsenal a starter kit.
It was very basic... hell by the time I was 16 I had more than that...

Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 PM

18,744 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Question about gun ownership -- limits/restrictions?

Is the country safer and more secure if we give the Fed govt the power to decide which of us can own and carry a gun?

Or if we refuse the govt any such power and take our chances with ordinary law-abiding people owning and carrying... and even the occasional terrorist (0.000001% of the population)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies