Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:19 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I think the OP was genuine in the question. Sincerely wondering if it would be a control measure to consider.

It’s already been said about different guns for different purposes. Add in that family may pass them down.

The bottom line is correct, only one at a time is used. Being around hunters, I can say that 15 is not unusual for one to own. They always seem to want the latest as well. The same as people like new shoes but can only wear one pair at a time.

I understand OP’s question and appreciate that it was posed as such.
I agree 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Frank is right. No restriction, machine guns, genade launchers, tanks, whatever.

Because, you know, people will just get along.
Yes, he is right...the people should have unrestricted access to any common weapon used in warfare, thats the only effective way that govt will fear what the people may do or could do.

Look around today, if 'the people' needed to remove a govt from power, how long would we last, about 10 minutes? LOL See my point yet?

Old 02-21-2019, 11:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Am I the only one that saw the picture of the supposed "Arsenal" and laughed? I'd call that arsenal a starter kit.

spoken like a true marine!! semper fi my friend.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:41 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
I like to cook. I dabble in some more gourmet recipes. Sure, I can still cook with the most basic kitchen tools but find the more specialized tools to be more convenient, easier, and precise for what I want to do whether it be a large wire whip and copper bowl for making whipped cream, a flat whisk for sauces, or even a double boiler for chocolate.

Guns really aren’t too different in comparison. As a woman for personal protection and if I’m carrying, I want a small grip with little recoil so a 9mm is good. We enjoy skeet shooting so hubby got me a 20 gauge side by side. We have an open sight .22 for target practice. It was an excellent choice to teach our daughter about breathe control, windage, and shooting basics. Have a scoped .22 for varmits since we’re in the country. Husband goes hog hunting on occasion and has a .30-06. Then there’s the inherited unusual 16 gauge pump shotgun which is primarily for home protection. Sure, one weapon can ultimately shoot “something” but what is the purpose of the tool - hunting, skeet, personal protection, range? Each purpose could necessarily mean a different gun much like you have different tools in your kitchen depending on what you’re trying to do.

Once you understand a gun for what it is - a tool - you can understand why most gun owners would not be in favor of limits on number of weapons one may own.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:15 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I would gladly stand armed outside any school to ensure not a soul is harmed within it as a form of community service/volunteering, as a supplement to law enforcement.
Go for it. And I wish you luck although I doubt that any school would want you. How do they know you aren't the nut they are worried about?

Old 02-22-2019, 04:00 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes its unreasonable, there should be ZERO gun laws.

I vehemently disagree with your statement. I think there should be one law which prohibits the possession of firearms. That law would be,

Quote:
"While a person is incarcerated or on probation/parole for committing a CRIME, they shall be prohibited from possessing a firearm. Immediately after the sentence has been fully and satisfactorily carried out, i.e. off parole, said person's right to posses a firearm SHALL be immediately reinstated."

No other law whatsoever should limit, restrict or prohibit any person from owning and possessing a firearm, concealed, open carry, machine guns, bazookas, etc.

I am 100% serious when I say this is what I believe should be the law.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:41 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Go for it. And I wish you luck although I doubt that any school would want you. How do they know you aren't the nut they are worried about?
Because I have everything to lose and nothing to gain by being a nut.
I have not a single reason to engage in wanton violence against innocent kids and school faculty members.

That and I'm not dependent on the state for a pension and dental plan to stand down or hide while someone does like the Broward coward.

And there's also the whole, playing right into the hands of anti gun proponents by committing such an act which would only further erode rights of millions of others. So again. What would I benefit from doing such a thing?

Goal is to stop these events from happening. I offer a proactive measure. I know alot of people willing to do the same thing. Wouldn't even cost tax payers a dime.
I promise when headlines read attempted/would be school shooter stopped dead in their tracks that would stop. They're not seeking a firefight/shoot out. If they were, they'd descend on a police station, shooting range, nuclear reactor site, etc where there is an armed deterrence present willing to engage a hostile threat. They keep seeking out gun free zones to carry out their atrocity.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:19 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
1) Having 'a lot' of guns means nothing if you're planning on going on a rampage. You only need one.

2) There's really no such thing as 'a lot' of ammo for people who shoot regularly. Competitive shooters can go through 50,000+ rounds per year. So saying someone has 'a lot' of ammo when they have 1,000 rounds could be a week's worth of shooting for some.

3) Why would anyone need multiple guns? Because they collect guns. Because each gun serves a different purpose. Because they find different things interesting about various guns. Would you ask the same question about someone who has multiple hats? Or why anyone would play multiple different video games? Much like any hobby, as people get more in to it, they end up collecting more stuff.

4) The way things are portrayed by the media aren't always what they seem. For example, people who make their own ammo (reload) are shown as gun extremists, but in reality most reloaders do it because it's cheaper than buying new (again, 50,000 rounds/year, if you can save $0.05/round, that adds up), or because they're into precision shooting sports and want to get the most accurate match between gun and ammo.

So honestly, if you read something in the news about 'gun owners', there's probably a simple explanation for what may sound extreme.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:39 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes its unreasonable, there should be ZERO gun laws.
And to clarify: there should be ZERO govt gun laws. Private property owners can make their own rules as they see fit.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:07 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
maybe you should reassess your position???

y the end of February, the students at Manatee School for the Arts in Palmetto, Fla., will see two combat veterans in body armor roaming the grounds, each carrying a 9-millimeter Glock handgun and a semiautomatic rifle with a 17-inch barrel.

If an armed intruder were to enter the campus, “we’re not looking for a fair fight,” Bill Jones, the principal, said in an interview. “We’re looking at an overwhelming advantage.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/u...n-schools.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies