Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 09:07 PM

10,464 posts, read 4,042,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Most of the people affected by such a law are going to be hobbyists/enthusiast. It's not practical either. You can make your own ammunition and since most of the people plan these things over months or even years they would be able to obtain all the ammunition they wanted.
Heck, since the talk of gun control and possible eliminating the second amendment altogether has been a hot topic among the democrats who are hell bent on destroying this country and the constitution, many people have taken up the trade of a machinist so they can just machine their own guns. I know a few people who are doing just that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 09:13 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The first states to fight it would be California and New York. They want elimination, not common sense.
I disagree with much of it myself, too restrictive for the law abiding.
Yeah I could just see someone traveling to NY or CA with factory Glock magazines.
Especially when stand your ground is not a thing there... where you have a duty to retreat... Unless you're in your home or business and only as a last resort after you've called the kings men.

Oh what's this? You took magazines that came with the pistol that are standard capacity in free states here? SafeAct. Felony charge worse than a child molester.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:59 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
The vast majority of veterans never see combat nor even know how to sharpen a knife. Why would a school want a veteran walking around the hallways carrying an AR-15 when he spent his entire career working in the motor pool as a light duty mechanic?
WOW, I respond to a post that has been sitting idle and things take off! WOW!

I was responding to rstevens who was responding to floorist and he was talking about combat vets.

I was just trying to show another point of view to why they don't want combat vets in schools.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-24-2019 at 07:14 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 07:10 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I would like to see a federal level liscencing system much like that used for driving cars - requiring a demonstration of proficiency, a lack of violent crime offenses, and no history of severely impairing mental illnesses like schizophrenia. The liscence would be required to purchase guns or ammo, and would automatically provide the right to nationwide concealed carry(responsible carry practices being part of the proficiency test). The upside is you would not need to keep track of 50 different sets of gun laws, you would not need multiple concealed permits for different states, and it would simplify and centralize the background check system.

Probably not feasible to implement under our current legal framework though.
In a bureaucracy, it is far easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission. If you are after something that the powers that be fear, that if it turned out badly where it was shown that they were the ones who gave permission, then they will find ways to say "no" to protect themselves. Be it making the level of proficiency impossible or requiring a psychiatric board that says yea or no......and they define how the board judges, or just deciding not to issue any more licenses.

There is a big difference between the population that wants to drive cars and the population that wants their rights to bear arms......just look at the last election.

Now, this all assumes one can trust the government.............which you can't. Allow those in power to decide whether or not you can defend, by any definition of "defense", yourself and how do you think they are going to decide? (sorry about making two posts; I usually combine them)

Old 02-24-2019, 07:44 AM

50,301 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I am pro-gun, but most of us don't agree with this.

I think there needs to be registration with no loopholes. This makes it easier to trace a gun that has been used in a crime. Problem is that most gun crimes (not suicides and the occasional wacko) are committed with illegally own guns.

I think people who deal in black market weapons should face harsh mandatory prison sentences, not just a slap on the wrist.
History has proven that the only thing that has ever come from a gun registration is gun confiscation. Haven't we learned anything from this?

Old 02-24-2019, 08:33 AM

2,309 posts, read 902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Please try to not get into the usual personal rants and tyrants and hurling insults at one side or the other........thanks.

In light of this domestic terrorist being charged and seeing all the weapons and ammunition he had, is it unreasonable to have a system in place that might bring to light someone who is doing this. I'm assuming this guy purchases the stuff legally (which I know may be a big assumption).

I understand that some of the concerns with gun control is that it may make it more difficult for law abiding citizens to own a gun.

But is it unreasonable to have guidelines to control how much......

or is the concern that zealots will restrict the limits and therefore make it just as difficult.

I just wonder if we can somehow flag someone that is accumulating enough weapons and ammunition to protect a small country (over stated but you know -- gotta be a little dramatic).

You know when you are first starting out and you are applying for a mortgage, car loan, credit cards...at some point you may be denied one of those items because there has been too many hits on your credit record.

Should there be something like that for purchase of guns/ammunition or is that considered 'unconstitutional' by some folks?

I am not trying to be a smart a@@ about this. My views on gun control have been seriously impacted by great discussions on the issue & I have more understanding and appreciation for the concern about gun control measures.
The guy's arsenal would be laughed at by avid collectors. His collection is actually quite average for those who take shooting and firearms with any seriousness.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:37 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
The guy's arsenal would be laughed at by avid collectors. His collection is actually quite average for those who take shooting and firearms with any seriousness.
How many guns did he have? I can't find the news story.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:39 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Criminals and crazies don't follow laws. More restrictions won't stop anything.

When I used to compete target shooting I would easily go through 1,000 rounds per week. It was not unusual for me to have 5,000 rounds of pistol rounds, and a few thousand rifle on hand at anytime, often more with the ability to make more at anytime as I reload my own ammo.

Also, many shooters have multiple rifles, and pistols in different calibers, for different purposes, and many guns are specialized for different tasks. So 15 firearms is not at all a high number. Some people are also just collectors, and may have more firearms due to that. I knew one collector that had 15 examples of the same firearm.

OP, I think you are genuinely curious, and not baiting anyone.

Last edited by Pilot1; 02-24-2019 at 08:51 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 09:01 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Question about gun ownership -- limits/restrictions?

Is the country safer and more secure if we give the Fed govt the power to decide which of us can own and carry a gun?

Or if we refuse the govt any such power and take our chances with ordinary law-abiding people owning and carrying... and even the occasional terrorist (0.000001% of the population)?

Old 02-24-2019, 09:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Thanks everyone. Sometimes we have to be able to share information/ideas without attacks in order to understand better.

Some really great points from the perspective of knowing that this amt. of guns/ammunition is not out of the ordinary, and that the logistics of restricting ownership or tracking it -- doesn't mean anything when it really takes only one gun to do damage.

The biggest takeaway for me is that what this guy had in his possession -- not out of line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies