Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 12:48 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times

Advertisements

ask jussie

Old 02-21-2019, 12:48 PM

6,346 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Am I racist? As in, actively try to do harm to a person who’s not my skin color? That would be a No.
Racist def

a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Prejudice against a race IS racism.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:49 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I suspect this question has been posed by way of another thread in the past, but I've not seen it yet...

This forum often touches upon what is racist, and of course no one admits to being a racist even though their comments seem to suggest they are. Observing this for so long has me wondering how we can actually determine if we have racist beliefs and/or tendencies. What questions might help us know whether we are racist, or xenophobic or mysogynist, white supremacist, etc?

Especially with Trump's wall and all accusations along these lines supposedly behind what drives many people to be for or against, would be nice if we could truly know how much support is truly free of any racist or xenophobic influence. What questions can we pose? What questionnaires?

Anyone who thinks these problems are not alive and well in America is a fool, but to what extent Americans are racist, how many, this is the question (of interest to me anyway). In part brought to mind upon reading this article this morning...

Coast Guard officer accused of wanting to kill Democrats and journalists was inspired by Norwegian mass shooting, feds say

Court documents say Hasson espoused extremist and white supremacist views and allege that he relied on the manifesto of Anders Breivik, a Norwegian who was convicted in 2011 of two terror attacks that killed 77 people.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/polit...ist/index.html
Well, I voted for Trump, so according to Hillary and her followers, as a Pennsylvania living, middle class white male, that makes me a racist, clinging to God and guns, deplorable.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:58 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Here is a question for all of you --

Is it racist to generally prefer aspects of one's cultural/ethnic heritage more than those of any other?

For example, is it racist for a white Texan to prefer the music of Waylon Jennings to that of 50 Cent? Or if he says that he doesn't like Indian food, such as curry?

(I would say No, but I am wondering what others think about this.)

Last edited by katharsis; 02-21-2019 at 01:11 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 01:00 PM

18,451 posts, read 8,282,661 times
what a load.....

First liberals put all people of one race into one group.....except white people of course
...and then, when you're prejudiced about some low class trash that's a part of that group
you're a racist

Old 02-21-2019, 01:07 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
what a load.....

First liberals put all people of one race into one group.....except white people of course
...and then, when you're prejudiced about some low class trash that's a part of that group
you're a racist
How are these hypothetical liberals?

It's all in your mind buddy they don't exist.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:11 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBloodedWhiteMale View Post
Is it racist to PREFER (not insist) your kids marry people of the same race? I suspect 90% of same race couples would PREFER their kids marry same race. And, prefer means what they REALLY feel deep inside, not what response they provide to a poll in front of their coworkers for example.
It depends on your reasons for that preference.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:17 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Racist def

a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Prejudice against a race IS racism.
Please provide the source of your definition of Racist. Thank you.

Never mind. I found it.

I will say if you never had a prejudiced thought Mascoma, then you are to be commended.
Me. I’m just being honest with myself that occasionally my righteousness fails me.

Last edited by TomC23; 02-21-2019 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Further Research

Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBloodedWhiteMale View Post
Is it racist to PREFER (not insist) your kids marry people of the same race? I suspect 90% of same race couples would PREFER their kids marry same race. And, prefer means what they REALLY feel deep inside, not what response they provide to a poll in front of their coworkers for example.
It would be racist if said parents DISOWNED their kids for dating/marrying someone outside of their race. Big difference between preference and treating someone poorly based on your preference.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:19 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I have heard experts (I am not one of them) say that, while all of us are not racists, we all carry around biases that cause us to draw conclusions about people that are incorrect, and that may be based on factors of race, gender, etc. I believe I can safely say that I am not racist, but do I have biases? Of course I do; I am human. So it is up to me to see in myself what my biases are, and try to correct them as they come up. I think it is people who have lived in a culture of racism and who don't have the capacity to be self-critical who continue in that mind set. In other words, I think it is possible for people to change their mind set if they are willing to look honestly at their internal biases. There are lots of people, however, who are not capable of critical self-evaluation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies