Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 09:07 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Uh.....we did not ask for the white man inventions. Maybe had you been inventive sooner......you would not have needed to enslave Africans. Furthermore, I don't understand why so many of you had to leave Europe for better lives....given that it was all white at the time. It seems to me that when you all lived in areas that were all white, the masses of whites were poor, despite your "inventions". It was not until you set sail away from Europe and colonized others land, labor and resources does things start to get a lot better for the average white person. It was see saw economics. Your end got lifted up by the weight of the other races you oppressed.
Hmmm......................

How do you explain the prosperity of the north and all of its innovations, expansion of the US, and cultivating the Midwest?

All of that was performed in the absence of any black input whatsoever.

European whites colonized America for many reasons, only one of which was economic. In addition to economic opportunity (free or cheap land), religious freedom and the political system attracted colonists.

My ancestors (arrived in 1632) actually built this nation, not yours. If the contributions of your ancestors was so great, Africa would be the leading economic and military super power of the world today. In fact, the "contribution" of blacks to America was no greater than beasts of burden for a small number of Southern States. Northern farmers, who tilled the plains and cleared the woods in the northeast, did so without slaves.

I find it amusing when blacks state that they built the nation- rubbish. That is a PC notion propagated today to placate a minority group with few, if any, notable historic accomplishments.

Your "beef" is with southern planter/slave owners. I would suggest that you find those estates (the statute of limitations is out) and sue them for the handouts you seek.

Want money? Work for it like everyone else, instead of begging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 09:09 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Of course you will see it as apples and oranges. In the abstract, however, they are both "fruits", which is my point. People did things in the past that carry over to your benefit and people have done things in the past that carry over to others detriment. The "governments", whether it be federal or state, condoned and facilitated the oppression of a race of people for "centuries". You might think its simple "black nature" to be in a state of economic inequality racially, but some will argue that the inequality is the carryover from centuries of government supported racial oppression.
I just don’t see how this would work. For example, my ancestors didn’t come here until after slavery was abolished. They had zero to do with it. Did not contribute to the issue positively or negatively. So I should be required to pay in? Because of the color of my skin?

My grandfathers fought in WWII. Should I also pay to the Japanese for them destroying their country and keeping their people in camps?

I grew up poor as anyone else of any color with the same opportunity granted by the same rights in this country. I rose above. No financial aid because I stupidly didn’t go to college right out of high school, had kids young. No assistance. Worked my butt off to get to where I am today.

Had to hit a point in life where I realized I didn’t know everything and needed to make some changes, pay my dues and move forward and upward.

I’m sorry. No reparations to those that enjoy the same rights I do. They also have the same responsibilities to themselves that I do. No one is special.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Here's MY plan if we are to do reparations:

1. Each person must trace their lineage back to their enslaved ancestor.
2. The claim must be directed toward the descendants of the owner, the shipper, the seller and everyone involved in the capture, shipping and trading of said ancestor.
3. If at any juncture the claimant finds that any of their ancestors have also owned slaves, they must compensate the descendants of that slave before collecting any reparations themselves.
Let's not forget that all the services that we have given minorities (health care, education, job training, etc.)
sort of do act as a reparation of sorts.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:16 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ted-by-slavery

How would this work? Would there be some kind of payout to the present generation of blacks in America? What if the next generation of blacks demand their payout?
I didn't read anything in the article about a payout.

"I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities." So that could mean things like providing grants to help blacks start businesses or go to college.

As far as true reparations, the time for that was about 150 years ago. We should have confiscated all the plantations and divided the land and money among the slaves that worked there. But that boat has sailed.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:18 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Here is a better question... Should Pocahontas get reparations for Native Americans?

Old 02-22-2019, 09:21 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Fascinating she didn't mention Native Americans.
I hear she already reaped the benefits of being Native American. lol I wonder if she'll give her free house back?

Old 02-22-2019, 09:23 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
I'm voting for president YANG! We all get a thousand a month. Not that I won't take any extra from Pocahontas. Maybe Yang will pick her for a running mate and I'll get both.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/andr...-handouts.html

Old 02-22-2019, 09:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
90% of blacks might vote democrat......but that does not mean that 90% of eligible black voters will vote. The goal would be to increase black voter participation.
Yeah, and counter that with an equal or greater number of white voters, possibly pissed off about Trumps tax cuts to the wealthy and failed promises who might have considered voting Democrat, now put back in his corner based on an idea like this. It's divisive and dumb.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:30 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yeah, and counter that with an equal or greater number of white voters, possibly pissed off about Trumps tax cuts to the wealthy and failed promises who might have considered voting Democrat, now put back in his corner based on an idea like this. It's divisive and dumb.

It's great for republicans, as it alienates many white democrats from the party. The more crazy the dems become, the better it is for Trump.

Reparations is an issue I hope every dem candidate supports as a part of the platform. Such a notion will be appealing to the lunatic fringe, but will insure the dems lose the White House again and perhaps the Congress as well.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I just don’t see how this would work. For example, my ancestors didn’t come here until after slavery was abolished. They had zero to do with it. Did not contribute to the issue positively or negatively. So I should be required to pay in? Because of the color of my skin?

My grandfathers fought in WWII. Should I also pay to the Japanese for them destroying their country and keeping their people in camps?

I grew up poor as anyone else of any color with the same opportunity granted by the same rights in this country. I rose above. No financial aid because I stupidly didn’t go to college right out of high school, had kids young. No assistance. Worked my butt off to get to where I am today.

Had to hit a point in life where I realized I didn’t know everything and needed to make some changes, pay my dues and move forward and upward.

I’m sorry. No reparations to those that enjoy the same rights I do. They also have the same responsibilities to themselves that I do. No one is special.

I think what you mean is "I don't want to see how this can work....because I don't want it to happen",which makes you closed to any reasoning in its favor, whether the reasoning is logical or illogical.

Look....when you inherit an estate or business....don't you inherit the assets and liabilities there of? If I CHOOSE to inherit and take over my fathers business.....I choose to inherit the customers, the assets and the debts, without regards to my personal involvement in creating any of those things. Hence, when your family immigrated to America.....BY CHOICE, they inherited the estate/business of America via citizenship. That means you are now a benefactors of all rights and privileges.....as well as any outstanding debt.

Our country currently has a 22 trillion dollar debt. What if those who recently immigrated to America claimed exemption from having to pay taxes on that debt based upon the fact that they were not even here when the vast majority of the debt accrued. You would scream and holler that the such people should leave the country if they don't want to assume the responsibilities and debt of the country based upon the argument that they were not here to contribute to the debt.

Citizenship is a CHOICE as some point in your life. If you don't want accept the package deal of benefits from the past as well as liabilities from the past....you can always choose to leave the country and become a citizen of other country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies