Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 11:57 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,728,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
How about for others? (Please answer the question.)

And how the hell would I know the answer to what is going on 200 years from now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 12:01 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,775,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why are you not looking for the "good" in reparations?
I’m not seeing the need for it is all. None whatsoever.

You see the need for it. You tell me what opportunity it would provide that isn’t already available.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:05 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,119,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ted-by-slavery

How would this work? Would there be some kind of payout to the present generation of blacks in America? What if the next generation of blacks demand their payout?
How about for Native Americans who were slaughtered and had their land stolen? How about Japanese that were put in camps during WWII? This list could go on and on. Warren just wants black votes- period.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:06 PM

2,362 posts, read 780,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am keeping up, I asked you to show me a victim of slavery. Well, show me one please. Show me a person or kid of a person, that was a legal slave under the USA or CSA flag.
You're not keeping up because the question you asked me and are asking me now is nonsensical if you were keeping up.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I’m not seeing the need for it is all. None whatsoever.

You see the need for it. You tell me what opportunity it would provide that isn’t already available.

You are the one who says one can see the good in something if they look for it. That tells me you are not looking for the good in reparations. If you are not looking its because you don't want to find. If you don't want to find its because you don't want an epiphany.

You have your rendition of what reparations would look like. To me, the operative term in reparations is REPAIR. It would be a funded movement to REPAIR the damages done to blacks with the goal of restoring blacks to near economic and social parity. Do you realize the economic tax saving of less money spent on welfare, less money spent to house prisoners, on policing, on courts? An increase in black income and wealth would mean an increase in black purchasing also, which will increase the national GDP and with more black paying taxes help reduce the debt...etc. In other words, it would be in INVESTMENT with an expected future ROI for the nation.

The problem is that people see my rendition of reparations as a fallacy. The reason they see it as a fallacy is because the believe that blacks are inherently inferior and cannot be made equal via government efforts. Like I said before, America sees an attempt to bring blacks to parity and have blacks subsequently sustain that parity on their own, as being akin to attempting to bring the mentally handicapped to parity and have them sustain in on their own. Really....this is how "America" sees black people, as being innately flawed to the degree that no amount of spending can change that. Blacks are treated based upon the way they are viewed.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,860,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
You're not keeping up because the question you asked me and are asking me now is nonsensical if you were keeping up.
You cannot answer, got it.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 PM

13,673 posts, read 20,813,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
How about for Native Americans who were slaughtered and had their land stolen? How about Japanese that were put in camps during WWII? This list could go on and on. Warren just wants black votes- period.
Those Japanese and Japanese-Americans did receive reparations.

But they were actually still alive when they received them.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:32 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,775,467 times
Quote:
You are the one who says one can see the good in something if they look for it. That tells me you are not looking for the good in reparations. If you are not looking its because you don't want to find. If you don't want to find its because you don't want an epiphany.

You have your rendition of what reparations would look like. To me, the operative term in reparations is REPAIR. It would be a funded movement to REPAIR the damages done to blacks with the goal of restoring blacks to near economic and social parity. Do you realize the economic tax saving of less money spent on welfare, less money spent to house prisoners, on policing, on courts? An increase in black income and wealth would mean an increase in black purchasing also, which will increase the national GDP and with more black paying taxes help reduce the debt...etc. In other words, it would be in INVESTMENT with an expected future ROI for the nation.

The problem is that people see my rendition of reparations as a fallacy. The reason they see it as a fallacy is because the believe that blacks are inherently inferior and cannot be made equal via government efforts. Like I said before, America sees an attempt to bring blacks to parity and have blacks subsequently sustain that parity on their own, as being akin to attempting to bring the mentally handicapped to parity and have them sustain in on their own. Really....this is how "America" sees black people, as being innately flawed to the degree that no amount of spending can change that. Blacks are treated based upon the way they are viewed.
Here is where I get confused. What needs to be repaired? How would the money be spent? What opportunity is lacking for the population?

Do you mean schools? I’m all for school choice. Infrastructure? All for that too. There’s already funding for it.
I see the good I’m the opportunity that is currently provided to all populations.

When I said I see good, I already see good out there, good people, stories, opportunities, successes. I don’t see the oppression you’re talking about.

Comparing the black community to the mentally handicapped? I’ve never seen nor heard anything like this in my life.

You’re saying reparations are needed to level the field. How is it disadvantaged currently? What exactly needs to be repaired? What could we possibly spend money on to fix it too?

Old 02-22-2019, 12:36 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,441,783 times
Quote:
And how the hell would I know the answer to what is going on 200 years from now?
When I asked if reparations are going to be an issue 200 years from now, you replied, "not for you." So not for me implies it will for others, right?

Old 02-22-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Here is where I get confused. What needs to be repaired? How would the money be spent? What opportunity is lacking for the population?

Do you mean schools? I’m all for school choice. Infrastructure? All for that too. There’s already funding for it.
I see the good I’m the opportunity that is currently provided to all populations.

When I said I see good, I already see good out there, good people, stories, opportunities, successes. I don’t see the oppression you’re talking about.

Comparing the black community to the mentally handicapped? I’ve never seen nor heard anything like this in my life.

You’re saying reparations are needed to level the field. How is it disadvantaged currently? What exactly needs to be repaired? What could we possibly spend money on to fix it too?

You are resisting the theory, first and foremost, which means its really not about the application of how reparations will be spent. You see good, but despite the good you see there is stark differences in the socioeconomic between blacks and whites in this nation. Whatever "is" now, is not working to solve the inequality. Regardless of the reason why it came to be, why would it not be in the nations long term interest to promote making a group of people more productive, when that productivity would benefit the nation?

General Motors has the Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Chevrolet, etc, brands. They operate under the umbrella of GM as distinctive brands. If one of those brands are not selling well.....do you think it is a wise investment for the company to target and invest in that brand to get their sells up? Would that investment not help GM in the long run if the lagging brand becomes profitable or more profitable? Of course they would. The only reason the would not is if they felt the brand's issues could not be fixed, because its a no-brainer that GM would invest in the brand if it believed in it.

America does not invest in the black brand simply because America does not believe in it. Its really not about reparations of what happened to blacks in the past for America. Its about America seeing the black brand as innately inferior to its other brands and hence not worthy of any investment whether it is deemed to be investment to repair supposed damages of the past.....or simply an investment to make "America" better. It will not do it because it does not believe in blacks.

Socioeconomic racial inequality is what needs to be repaired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies