Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times

Advertisements

Legal claims to land ownership are meaningless without legal continuity to enforce those claims. At the same time, the law of conquest is never not in effect because if you don't have the wherewithal to enforce your claim as well as someone else, your claim is de facto forfeit.

Israel controls the Levant not because God gave it to them, or because it is the Jewish ancestral homeland, but because Israel won a series of wars against Arab neighbors who contested their claim.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:53 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Legal claims to land ownership are meaningless without legal continuity to enforce those claims. At the same time, the law of conquest is never not in effect because if you don't have the wherewithal to enforce your claim as well as someone else, your claim is de facto forfeit.

Israel controls the Levant not because God gave it to them, or because it is the Jewish ancestral homeland, but because Israel won a series of wars against Arab neighbors who contested their claim.
True - and I accept that reasoning actually for The Law of Return. But for how long going forward in time will that reasoning apply - particularly if we want Israel to follow "democratic principles"? "Never not in effect" for the future???

(As a side note, there's probably some utilitarian school of philosophy out there that could be drawn on??? What's functional in the long term wins a bunch of bennies in my book.)

Old 03-15-2019, 06:58 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
True - and I accept that reasoning actually for The Law of Return. But for how long going forward in time will that reasoning apply - particularly if we want Israel to follow "democratic principles"? (As a side note, there's probably some utilitarian school of philosophy out there that could be drawn on??? What's functional in the long term wins a bunch of bennies in my book.)
Israel will control the Levant as long as they are able to. Even if there was a law that said, "once you control land for N years it's yours", as a kind of sovereign squatters rights, that law would be meaningless without an enforcement mechanism.

Ultimately the world system of competing sovereignties is anarchic, the UN is toothless, and realpolitik rules.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:17 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Israel will control the Levant as long as they are able to. Even if there was a law that said, "once you control land for N years it's yours", as a kind of sovereign squatters rights, that law would be meaningless without an enforcement mechanism.

Ultimately the world system of competing sovereignties is anarchic, the UN is toothless, and realpolitik rules.
Again ... I accept that. Israel is the big kid on the block. But back to functionality ... I really only want Israel to be a nice big kid on the block so no one starts throwing stones that might accidentally - or worse, deliberately - hit me. Keep it calm and we're good to go. No ... it's more than that.

Because many years ago I "chose" Israel I'd like for it to meet my "niceness" standards. Sure that's egocentric ... but its rather the psychological version of your "realpolitik."

Old 03-15-2019, 07:33 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
4. Those that think Israel isn't our business.
If you don't think it's any of our business, why are you posting on this thread?? (If you read my post way back on page 69, I was addressing the posters on this thread, not the world in general....) Try again.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Exactly! That's the double standard I keep trying to explain. They refuse to see it, which again reveals the special animosity they hold toward Israel when compared to other nations. There's only one explanation for that, and it isn't good.
Here s a line to keep you busy - Other countries are criticized less because they dont lay claims to real estate citing mythology

Old 03-15-2019, 09:54 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You just ignore the truth when it doesn't fit your agenda, don't you?. Nobody is saying that legitimate criticism of specific Isrseli policy is antisemitic. For the nth time, I repeat: I myself have been critical of their settlement policy.

What IS antisemitic is the double standard applied to Israel - and broad, sweeping condemnation that crosses into criticism of the "rich, powerful Jews." Antisemites want cart Blanche to say horrible things and false things about Israel AS A WHOLE while ignoring terrible travesties of every other country that commits far worse.
I hope you are well off, but not a billionaire I guess. And not also an Israeli. So what makes you passionately defend the "Rich powerful Jews" or Israel? I also used to be like this before, but later changed.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
If you don't think it's any of our business, why are you posting on this thread?? (If you read my post way back on page 69, I was addressing the posters on this thread, not the world in general....) Try again.
I posted to dispute your silly list. I seemed to have made a mark.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:25 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I hope you are well off, but not a billionaire I guess. And not also an Israeli. So what makes you passionately defend the "Rich powerful Jews" or Israel? I also used to be like this before, but later changed.
Wow. I'm not defending the "rich, powerful Jews". I'm using that sarcastically - as in, that's the root of the antisemitism and resentment (which you continue to demonstrate): the thought that Jews are these rich, powerful people.

And I'm strictly middle class. Why would you assume I'm well-off? Because I'm Jewish?

Old 03-16-2019, 05:35 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Here s a line to keep you busy - Other countries are criticized less because they dont lay claims to real estate citing mythology
I don't know a single Jew who claims that's what they defend the right of Israel to exist. Israel needs to exist because Jews need a place of self-determination in case another Holocaust springs up.

All it takes is for the continuing resentment and jealousy against Jews (that you demonstrate with almost every post) to rise to a breaking point. Before you know it, we'll have antisemites blaming the "all-powerful Jews" for hurricanes. (Oh, wait.....we already had that....some elected Democrat in Washington, DC accused the Jews of making it snow so they could make money with the snow plow companies.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies