Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 11:42 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You lost me here. Why do they care if you post on a Sunday?
Was actually Saturday, and I guess one of the rules is to respect such things when posting in a thread having to do with Judaism, but how was I to know, and even now that I do know, I ask the same question! Why should ANYONE care when someone else posts comments in this forum when everyone is free to participate when THEY want to? I need to worry about them too?

Again, of course not! But then there's SOME people who just think differently, and quite wrongly in my opinion.

Nothing you can do about such people however...

Old 03-17-2019, 11:43 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
If you were a public speaker, you would have me at standing ovation at this point.

The reason you don't agree is because you are able to distinguish right from wrong in a way that all too many people can't. Sadly, all too many people. They simply lack the critical thinking skills for starters, which for starters begins by asking questions, not tossing out unjustified accusations based on bias and ignorance of the facts.
Keep that post in mind the next time I think something is anti-Semitic and you don't

Old 03-17-2019, 11:48 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Let's have a closer look at who has the oatmeal for brains...

My daughter and her fiancé are getting married on a weekend in October. That's all I wrote.

On what WEEKEND does Yom Kippur occur this year skipper?

Who really DOES deserve the big FU?

All your rhetoric mind you. Not mine, though very tempting...

See what I mean?!?
Didya see the question mark?

You may never see the grooms family ever again. Having not discussed anything about the wedding with his family suggest even the couple are consumed with their own needs.

Live long and prosper.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:52 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Your take on various ethical issues is clear, and no doubt more consistent or easily understood than mine. This I acknowledge. Agree or disagree with one of your positions, your words are clear. Would it be fair to say that you use deductive reasoning to apply your strongly held principals to various situations? In turn, I look at specific events then from them try to extract some operating principal. An inductive approach.

In doing this, I'm more than willing to look at someone's history or cultural background. This is not (exactly) cultural relativism for there are absolute principals. It is worthwhile to look for and to advocate for those values. I share your focus on humanism and that human progress is possible.

I don't, however, find that most interactions are rational, at least not in our current stage of development. Frankly, we seem to be regressing these days.

Bias does rule thinking. We do not understand before we speak. There is no universal set of facts that will ever be present, or if present, agreed upon. That's why I draw this personal distinction between "criticism" and "judgment."

Criticism to me is a kind of critical thinking, more like an analysis of a work of art. That the word has other meanings no doubt makes it not the best term to use. It's part of the process of mulling over facts, summarizing, attempting to extract principals, then communicating them. The word judgment is used to imply a final rendering, that begins to approach some Biblical-like absolute.

To the best of my recall, this approach originated many years ago from:

(1) College readings on cultural relativism
(2) The Israeli-Palestinian situation (hence some of my interest in this thread)
(3) A then-rejection of Christianity per Walter Kaufmann, a German-Jewish philosopher. He drew a distinction between the Christian propensity to search for truth compared to the Judaic construction of a system of ethics.

The resultant issue with the Christian perspective was that if outside that "truth" you potentially became "The Other," one of the reasons behind the centuries-long persecution of the Jews. I instinctively embraced the Judaic system (as I perceived) it with the rabbinical tradition of debate.

That is one of the reasons I reacted so negatively to the anti-Semitic definitional movement. It was in total opposition to what I valued about Judaism.

Discourse is complicated ... weddings are complicated ... the Israel-Palestinian situation is complicated.
I don't know about all that, and it's time for me to sign off now again, so I'll just reply that I simply "call 'em the way I see 'em." I try to do so in the most fair, informed and objective manner possible. Always more than glad to "compare notes" with anyone who disagrees with me to perhaps understand where and when I am mistaken and/or confirm my opinions are justified.

"Bias does rule thinking," as I've explained many times, especially when that bias becomes clear and clouding what I consider good judgement, proper conclusion. We are all victims of confirmation bias, but at the same time, we are not all equal when it comes to the critical objective thinking required to overcome bias, and ego, and all that rest that separates right from wrong.

Until perhaps tomorrow, thanks to you too for injecting a bit above average balance here along these lines, as I think everyone should strive to do...

Old 03-17-2019, 11:55 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
What about all the illegal immigrants earning money here and then sending it back to Mexico and Central America? Why don't they put the money back into the economy HERE, rather than their divided loyalties to their home countries?
What are you talking about? Clearly you are not reading things slowly, and for content. I never mentioned anything about anyone sending money anywhere. Did you maybe quote the wrong person?

Quote:
In fact, why are you not insisting they all self-deport? They have no allegiance to this country, and march towards it carrying their foreign flag. They ignore our immigration laws. Instead, we have progressives protecting them with sanctuary cities on one hand, and on the other, smear the reputations of law-abiding American Jews. According to progressives, illegals are worthy of defense, and Jews who support the existence of Israel are to be suspected of treason.
Holy cow are you ok?

I didn't mention anything about Jewish people who support people being treasonous. That is nonsense.

Quote:
And Jews are not acting against the national interest of America by supporting Israel. Israel has provided the US with intelligence secrets, and the world with advanced medical and technological advances.
The only mention of national interest in my post was with regard to the idea that Obama is "antisemitic" because he did one thing that might possible be viewed as not being in the national interest of Israel. As already established Israel and Judiasm are NOT THE SAME THING. As for your last sentence, are you remotely claiming the only jews that contribute to the world are Israeli jews? Because that would be a LIE.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
This is very simple. Please pay attention. Criticizing Israeli policy is not anti Semitic. Funding $150 to Iran to kill Jews most definitely is.
Once more Israel does not equal "jews". So even pretending you are correct (which is not true in and of itself) he would be guilty of funding the killing of israelis, which once more is not the same thing as killing "jews" since they are not equivalent.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Yup. Iran is a known state sponsor of terror and provides money to Hamas. The U.S. should not have released that money until Iran denounced Islamic terrorists and "death to Israel" groups.
As you say death to ISRAEL not death to jews. There for at most it would have been anti-israel not anti-semitic. Thanks for clarifying that.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:15 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I seriously doubt that. Jewish sabbath is on Saturday. Sunday holds no religious significance for Jews other than being the first working day of the week.
Agree! Was that weird or what? Jews don't celebrate Sabbath on Sunday and would have objection to anyone using the computer today.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:16 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,335,020 times
Quote:
The part that was anti-Semitic was LearnMe's comment that he/she found it "offensive" that Jews would use observance of the High Holidays as an excuse not to attend the wedding. He/she overlooked entirely the groom's disregard for his own family's religion and turned this into a complaint about the Jews. He's annoyed at the Jews!

I have attended many interfaith weddings with no issue, but I would NEVER attend one on a Jewish holiday. To think that the father of the bride views my decision with disdain - "people of other faiths don't act this way" - well....THAT is offensive.
Rachel, I commented on this post above but now went back to reread most of the subthread. The poster's exact words were :

"Same criticism if the relatives were Christian or Muslim, but I've not encountered this with people of other faith."

Words are important. As are quotation marks. Sometimes they are used for emphasis or to indicate that a word is being used in other than a precise context. I would not paraphrase an entire phrase then place my paraphrase in quotes.

To criticize IS part of a process; the poster is asking for an assessment and plans to consult a Jewish friend for the issue is connected to religion.

His critcism is based on his experiences, what he has or has not "encountered." He did not make an absolute statement. The difference may be subtle, but it is an important one.

That this type of issue can be difficult to parse with sometimes more information needed is, again, one of the reason I struggle so with the anti-Semitism definitions. And, how, really to view the entire Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

If only because sometimes there is no one best answer, the "solution" then becomes to simply make a choice - which is what I did many years ago in choosing Israel. But in that choice I give myself no essential "rightness."
(At the time there were some logistical reasons for that choice, but that's another issue. Obviously, if American or even Israeli one need not choose at all.)

Old 03-17-2019, 12:27 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
I hope my prior comment about this explains the answer to your question well enough...

Note how your rather insulting comment tends to represent what I think deserves the legitimate criticism for driving these sorts of wedges, rather than respect.

The wedding is about recognizing and appreciating SHARED universal bonds related to love and family and the commitment between two people who have chosen to spend their lives together. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else!

Anyone that has a problem with that has a problem I'd rather not comment about any further other than to express thanks that not ALL people are that way. That MOST people are not that way, as the RSVP list continues to grow nicely regardless...
Waddya mean "most people are not that way"? You mean you think more highly of Jews who will ignore a major Jewish holiday to attend the wedding of a couple, one of whom has a Jewish family, since the couple didn't even consider the ramifications of scheduling on a major Jewiah holiday? And you think LESS of those stubborn Jews who will not attend the wedding?

And you did admit that your daughter and future SIL didn't even give a passing thought to the fact that his family is Jewish and that they were scheduling a conflict? It's all about them, and the Jews should "act like other faiths" and ignore their own obligations?

(Are you the mama or the daddy in this scenario?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies