Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 06:16 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
A far more factual and data driven discussion exists, here:

Is it a moral right for a country to provide free healthcare?
It's probably best to start using the term "subsidized" healthcare instead of "free" healthcare, just sayin'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 06:17 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
I heard an interesting stat re 'Medicare for all' on NPR just today.

Of 40 house seats that were flipped by Democrats in Nov, 2018, exactly zero campaigned on 'Medicare for all.' One Dem who did run on it, lost his attempt to flip.

edit: here's an article that covers the same topic from last Nov.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sallypi.../#db87bf41f543

Quote:
But single-payer did not fare as well in the general election. Not counting incumbents, 111 Democratic candidates gunning for the House backed Medicare for All. Of those, only 19 won their elections.
The article also notes that one Democrat did win campaigning on 'MFA'--Kim Schrier in the WA 8th CD. Even though the incumbent was an R, he had retired, so both candidates in the race were first-timers, so technically I guess it wouldn't be considered a flip.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
They like to cry a lot how they have to pay so much yet we retired folks pay nothing and get free healthcare.

What is the Average Retirement Income 2019 (And, Median Retirement Income 2019)?

How about we base what people pay on income and we will build it around what my wife and I have as total medical cost as a percentage of what people our age group (70-75) enjoy in mean retirement income?

Total out out of pocket for the wife and I is $10,000 per year or $5,000 each.

If our household income $46,797 then we pay 21.4% of our income on medical cost and insurance.

Of course we will continue the Medicare insurance rate at 1.45% bringing the total Medicare insurance to 22.85% of total income without deductions.

If a family of four earns $100,000 they pay $22,850/year or $1,904 in monthly premiums.

If a family of four earns only $40,000 then their monthly premiums, in addition to other federal, state and social security taxes, is $761/month.

Why not have everyone pay the same exact rate as we retired old people living on a fixed income?

Nothing is free in this world, you will pay for everything you ever get one way or another. To many this must be totally shocking but it is true.
Are you serious? Most of us paid into Medicare for 50 years before we retired. And it's just Medicare "A", hospitalization, that's totally premium-free, and even then there are deductibles when you actually use it.
https://www.webmd.com/health-insuran...e-and-services

Old 03-06-2019, 06:38 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
I like the idea of a public option as a start. Low premiums and service through public hospitals.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Are you serious? Most of us paid into Medicare for 50 years before we retired. And it's just Medicare "A", hospitalization, that's totally premium-free, and even then there are deductibles when you actually use it.
https://www.webmd.com/health-insuran...e-and-services
You didnt "pay into" anything, money was taken from you on payday to pay the govts bills on the next day, with no promise of future repayment. And if you're retired now, workers are punching a time clock to pay your expenses and the rest. Medicare is just another ponzi.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:05 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think "Medicare For All" should be considered, the details to be worked out by Congress. Keep in mind the fact that Medicare part A is just hospitalization insurance. Everyone who has health insurance has hospitalization insurance and the uninsured who are hospitalized everyone is paying for now. I suggest that insurers offer programs with the option of Medicare part A as a part of the policy.

Medicare part B is out of hospital health care insurance. Physicians will oppose that because it limits their fees.

I suggest small steps starting with part A option.
No. Everyone pay for their own stuff. Don’t depend on others to fund your poor choices in life.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:09 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Remember, Medicare payments started when you were twenty plus years of age and working all the way to 65... All those payments you made just vanished when you got Medicare at birth... I laugh because most Americans will have paid LESS than what they receive...

Old 03-06-2019, 07:12 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Remember, Medicare payments started when you were twenty plus years of age and working all the way to 65... All those payments you made just vanished when you got Medicare at birth... I laugh because most Americans will have paid LESS than what they receive...
Young people, unlike boomers, will likely see that money vanish with their social security and get nothing for it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies