Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:42 AM

59,057 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Seeing that they're already working those hours, how else would you describe paying them what they've earned? Do you have another word you'd rather we use?

PAYING what they EARN is NOT GIVING.

Of course. "It depends on what the meaning of the word GIVING is"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't work for free. Glad you are willing to so I don't have to.

Blame the democrats that decided it was a good idea to stop using anti corrosives in the water to save money.
"I don't work for free. Glad you are willing to so I don't have to."

With your LACK of reading compression I'm surprised you have job at all. IF you have one.

Please forgive me from misspelling, it is PERKS NOT PERCS, I know this probably had you very confused.

Let me REPEAT in BOLD so even YOU can understand, well maybe not, I got EXTRA PERKS which were worth MONEY.

Maybe you DON'T KNOW what "PERKS" means.

I was told to take my wife out to dinner an LEAST once a week and give the receipt to my boss.

For instance, I got company VEHICLE which I could use for PERSONAL USE and the company PAID for ALL the gas and maintenance. I was even allowed to put a bumper hitch on it so I could use it to put my boat in and out of the water with.

NO car payment.

NO car INSURANCE.

No gas bills,

NO maintenance bills.

NO PAID parking fees.

No extra vehicle for my boat.

FREE dinner out with wife at least once a week.

And OTHER MONETARY perks.

Now that might not mean much to you bu it sure did to me.

Perks, something I DOUBT you will EVER GET!

Last edited by Quick Enough; 03-12-2019 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The Dems aren't in position to do this.

If they passed a measure in the House, McConnell would simply stuff it in his desk drawer in the senate and not allow it on the floor for debate or a vote.

He's a one man dead end when it comes to anything favorable to the public.

Why KY insists on returning this cowardly creep to the senate is a mystery.

Time for a wake-up call.

"If they passed a measure in the House, McConnell would simply stuff it in his desk drawer in the senate and not allow it on the floor for debate or a vote."

Do you mean like the over 240 ole harry reid did when he was the SML?

"A budget? We don't NEED a budget"

reid was a one man dead end when it comes to anything favorable to the public.

NOW the sudden outrage.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Unions aren’t communists until they are in cahoots with the government.
And look At how much money they give to DEM politicians!

Old 03-12-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Unions represent a group of workers.
Lobbyists represent a group of Corporations.

So, when Corporate Lobbyists get in cahoots with the government that is Communism as well.

Everyone else is punished.
"Lobbyists represent a group of Corporations."

AH the UN-informed.

The unions HAVE LOBBYISTS.

Just about EVERY organization from the the AMA to the NEA, teachers, to public sector workers to unions have lobbyists in D.C.

And your side calls US the Un educated!

Old 03-12-2019, 02:31 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Employment is 100% voluntary in the US. If the concept of "unpaid" overtime is a bummer to you, don't take a salary job.

I work unpaid overtime all the time. Then again, I come in somewhere between 7-9 AM and leave around 8-9 hours later, and nobody tracks my time. If I need to be late, my boss says ok, and if I need to leave early, take an impromptu day off, work from home or any of countless other "irregular day" things, he says OK.

It all comes out in the wash.

Our hourly employees are strictly controlled on their time cards. They clock in and out electronically when they come in each day, when tey take any breaks from their desk, when they eat lunch, when they leave, etc. Exactly 8 hours, +/- 15 minutes. each day, and if they routinely clock +1-15 minutes each day, they are counseled on proper time keeping and give HR training. So no, they do not work unpaid overtime, because their time is so tightly controlled that they cannot work overtime period.

Another note on compensation - all companies at some point have to adjust the size of their labor pool. Like all other costs, it expands and contracts. When it contracts, people are let go. When companies decide to downsize, they task managers with identifying who they can live without. If you are someone who righteously defends properly paid overtime by either not working overtime or demanding extra compensation when you do, and the rest of your group/section/area is people like me who just work without all the fuss...guess which bin (keep them vs dump them) the manager puts you in?

There's a saying about babies and bathwater coming to mind....

Old 03-13-2019, 05:56 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
PAYING what they EARN is NOT GIVING.

Of course. "It depends on what the meaning of the word GIVING is"
So what was the point of your original nonsense comment? You've circled back and trampled over your own argument. You obviously understood "giving" to mean paying what they've earned, so why try to dumb down the discussion w/ a weak semantic attack?

Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Employment is 100% voluntary in the US. If the concept of "unpaid" overtime is a bummer to you, don't take a salary job.

I work unpaid overtime all the time. Then again, I come in somewhere between 7-9 AM and leave around 8-9 hours later, and nobody tracks my time. If I need to be late, my boss says ok, and if I need to leave early, take an impromptu day off, work from home or any of countless other "irregular day" things, he says OK.

It all comes out in the wash.

Our hourly employees are strictly controlled on their time cards. They clock in and out electronically when they come in each day, when tey take any breaks from their desk, when they eat lunch, when they leave, etc. Exactly 8 hours, +/- 15 minutes. each day, and if they routinely clock +1-15 minutes each day, they are counseled on proper time keeping and give HR training. So no, they do not work unpaid overtime, because their time is so tightly controlled that they cannot work overtime period.

Another note on compensation - all companies at some point have to adjust the size of their labor pool. Like all other costs, it expands and contracts. When it contracts, people are let go. When companies decide to downsize, they task managers with identifying who they can live without. If you are someone who righteously defends properly paid overtime by either not working overtime or demanding extra compensation when you do, and the rest of your group/section/area is people like me who just work without all the fuss...guess which bin (keep them vs dump them) the manager puts you in?

There's a saying about babies and bathwater coming to mind....
And that argument can be used for anything relating to your job.

You don't like sexist comments, go work somewhere else.
You don't like being paid less b/c you're a woman, go work somewhere else.
You don't like the lack of safety features at the job site, go work somewhere else.

We're at the point in society where we recognize that there are obligations that businesses have to meet for their employees, and one of those is overtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies