Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So who do you blame?
The parents who took advantage of the cheat the was offered or made available to them?
or
The Colleges that made the cheat available for a price?

How many here would not take advantage if they had the cash, to help their children? Many will lie and say not I.

I would. To go to Harvard, or Yale or any elite Ivy League school? Hell yes.

It isn't just the education you gain, it is the contacts you make and the doors having those schools on your resume opens.

How many Presidents are graduates of Goatville community college? How many CEO's made it to the top after graduating from a no name University?

I get why parents who have the means would cheat.
I blame the parents and the schools and coaches involved.

And no, I'm too ethical to do something like this. I've always conducted myself in a manner that would inform my children about how they should behave in life. We never cut corners and we don't cheat.

This isn't helping your kids, it's showing them that cheating is okay if it benefits them. I've always been a better parent than that and expected better from my children - and so far they haven't disappointed me and they're now in their 30's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think you can do the same thing by making it cost her a LOT of money.

I'd save jail for killers and thieves, that kind of thing.
And not punish white collar crime at all? That would be bad.

But not to worry, the prisons these folks are sent to are like bad camps compared to most prisons.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:53 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Silver spoon in your mouth theory.
And a silver spoon up their nose for some....who just go to college to party.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:40 AM

2,188 posts, read 1,384,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think you can do the same thing by making it cost her a LOT of money.

I'd save jail for killers and thieves, that kind of thing.
They have a net worth of 100M. It doesn't matter how much you fine them, the impact will be zero. They'll make up for it in return on investments in less than a year anyway. Having to sit in prison in Gen Pop is what they need.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:15 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Wow, two months.

How will she make it through.

Lori Loughlin sentenced to 2 months in prison in college admissions scandal

Quote:
On Friday, Lori Loughlin was sentenced to two months in prison after pleading guilty earlier this year to federal charges connected to the college admissions cheating scandal.

U.S. District Judge Nathaniel Gorton accepted Loughlin's plea agreement a few hours after he sentenced her husband, Mossimo Giannulli.

The 56-year-old "Full House" star will have to pay a $150,000 fine and complete 100 hours of community service. She will have supervised release for two years after completing her prison sentence.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:06 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And not punish white collar crime at all? That would be bad.

But not to worry, the prisons these folks are sent to are like bad camps compared to most prisons.
Fines are punishment.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:09 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
So who do you blame?
The parents who took advantage of the cheat the was offered or made available to them?
or

How many here would not take advantage if they had the cash, to help their children? Many will lie and say not I.

It isn't just the education you gain, it is the contacts you make and the doors having those schools on your resume opens.

How many Presidents are graduates of Goatville community college? How many CEO's made it to the top after graduating from a no name University?

The stupid part of the whole thing is that they could have given direct to the college as a donation and got their child in.

I know someone who did it. He quoted the exact numbers it took to get into certain well known schools.

They might have actually gotten in cheaper by endowing scholarships at those schools.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Fines are punishment.
Getting fines of hundreds of thousands of dollars is enough punishment? To multi-millionaires?

You are FUNNY!!!

Old 08-21-2020, 06:16 PM

1,154 posts, read 367,242 times
Quote:
So who do you blame?
or

I assisted my children by moving to the best school district in my area, signing them up for enrichment opportunities for topics that interested them, and hiring tutors when they struggled in physics and calculus. I did not edit their college essays or pay college counselors to improve their chances of acceptance, and I certainly did not offer anyone a bribe!

Old 08-21-2020, 06:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Surprised she got convicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies