Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is white nationalism on the rise?
Yes 173 52.42%
No 157 47.58%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:51 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

I debated whether to answer Yes or No because within some demographic groups (middle-to-upper-class Euro-white conservatives and possibly some moderates), I think it is on the rise, but overall, I don't think it is as most whites are becoming more and more tolerant of non-whites, I think. So I voted No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 07:57 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
This article states precisely what I've been stating about this issue for a while on this forum.

It's not as broadly simple as portraying those interested in preserving a white identity as being 'racist.' Like I've been saying, not all those who want to preserve their racial identity hate other races. It's just that the line gets blurred.

I also differ in the opinion that all of these people concerned care about being in positions of power, it's more about fighting back against the perception that society and the media are reverse racist against white men.

HOW WHITE IDENTITY SHAPES AMERICAN POLITICS
Quote:

President Donald Trump's supporters tend to get angry when they're accused of racism. To many liberals, their outrage is laughable: After all, they support a leader whose racist impulses are increasingly difficult to deny.

In fact, though, there's an excellent chance that many of those supporters aren't technically racist, in that they don't reflexively hate minorities or consider them inherently inferior. Still, for many of these voters, being white is a central component of their personal identity, and they are invested in maintaining their race's status at the top of the national hierarchy.

For some on the left, this is a distinction without a difference. But Duke University political scientist Ashley Jardina argues that this protect-our-own mindset is associated with a different set of assumptions and behaviors than pure prejudice.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree with these, particularly with the part about 'normalizing' these groups & their common white supremacist origins & belief systems. The emphasis has always been on violence & intimidation as a means to defend the white supremacist ends & has been the primary constant across its various 'waves', this is just another 'peak' in the wave:

Top 5 Questions About the KKK | American Experience | Official Site | PBS

Stating the obvious, it's not normal or healthy.
The KKK is a terrorist organization that is about 152 years old. At one time it was a powerful organization, influencing elections. Today the KKK is no less a terrorist group as it was back then. The Klan's influence has diminished alot. The influence of other white supremacist groups is diminished as well. This is actually what angers such groups. They want their activities to be considered normal. There was a time when violence and intimidation was considered normal. It continues to be the norm for them. However, it's illegal to use violence.

Such groups believe that the only way to get what they want is through violence. White nationalism/supremacy on the rise? Maybe, but it's more like its openness is on the rise. And with the events of Charlottesville, it put some things in a sadder perspective. In most of these Klan and Nazi marches, the persons look like the thugs and trash. These guys look like, well, it could be the person I went to college with. It could be my neighbor. It could be someone I called a friend. I'm used to seeing the idiots and trash joining the KKK or Nazi groups. Thanks to Twitter, it put a face to such persons. It wasn't just some random Klan thug or piece of trash who did nothing with their lives. Twitter brought some of this close to home.

Rewind to 2012. I ended up losing friends during the election. One person I was cool with posted some very racist stuff on facebook about Obama. To say the least I haven't talked to him since. This wasn't someone I went to high school with. I went to college with this guy. I would expect this from some redneck I went to high school with. I didn't expect it from him. He was doing better in life than I was at the time. I expect such stupidity from individuals who weren't doing well in life and needed something to make themselves feel powerful. Not this particular guy.

Long story short, I think we're seeing more things out in the open now. And now the face of such activity is changing.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:52 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I think we're seeing more media coverage of it now, but that it's less prevalent.

Dear lord, one loud mouth white trash lady getting in an argument with her apartment neighbors and dropping an n-bomb on cell-camera and it's national news despite no assault etc.

I think some posters here would be especially aware of this media perception false narrative after being on the receiving end of all the "gangs of young black men", "super-predator" etc. type fearmongering that went on in past years. Or even the more recent push to put every crime committed by an illegal to the front page.

As previously noted in other threads, there is even a term for this in the media called "the year of the shark".

Corporate media needs ratings, gotta get people all scared and emotional.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:28 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The KKK is a terrorist organization that is about 152 years old. At one time it was a powerful organization, influencing elections. Today the KKK is no less a terrorist group as it was back then. The Klan's influence has diminished alot. The influence of other white supremacist groups is diminished as well. This is actually what angers such groups. They want their activities to be considered normal. There was a time when violence and intimidation was considered normal. It continues to be the norm for them. However, it's illegal to use violence.

Such groups believe that the only way to get what they want is through violence. White nationalism/supremacy on the rise? Maybe, but it's more like its openness is on the rise. And with the events of Charlottesville, it put some things in a sadder perspective. In most of these Klan and Nazi marches, the persons look like the thugs and trash. These guys look like, well, it could be the person I went to college with. It could be my neighbor. It could be someone I called a friend. I'm used to seeing the idiots and trash joining the KKK or Nazi groups. Thanks to Twitter, it put a face to such persons. It wasn't just some random Klan thug or piece of trash who did nothing with their lives. Twitter brought some of this close to home.

Rewind to 2012. I ended up losing friends during the election. One person I was cool with posted some very racist stuff on facebook about Obama. To say the least I haven't talked to him since. This wasn't someone I went to high school with. I went to college with this guy. I would expect this from some redneck I went to high school with. I didn't expect it from him. He was doing better in life than I was at the time. I expect such stupidity from individuals who weren't doing well in life and needed something to make themselves feel powerful. Not this particular guy.

Long story short, I think we're seeing more things out in the open now. And now the face of such activity is changing.
Agree it's more out in the open now because their ideology is being challenged. When some psychologist or historian or sociologist from the future looks back on this ~ our present day, it will look like yet another very identifiable 'peak' in a 'wave'. White supremacy ideology has been around since the very beginnings of our Country.

Folks back then thought white supremacist ideology was 'normal'. So normal they likely never even gave it a passing thought, it was a 'given' so to speak.

Some folks today still feel that way. Every time I visit this forum I see multiple posts reflecting this view.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:02 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
"White supremacy" is the new buzzword for the Left. It basically takes up where "racist" left off, since that word has become spurious through overuse and misapplication.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:05 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This article states precisely what I've been stating about this issue for a while on this forum.

It's not as broadly simple as portraying those interested in preserving a white identity as being 'racist.' Like I've been saying, not all those who want to preserve their racial identity hate other races. It's just that the line gets blurred.

I also differ in the opinion that all of these people concerned care about being in positions of power, it's more about fighting back against the perception that society and the media are reverse racist against white men.

HOW WHITE IDENTITY SHAPES AMERICAN POLITICS
Glass houses......

Old 03-22-2019, 12:05 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
I think there is a direct correlation between the rise of white nationalism, and the soaring rate of liberal paranoia.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:37 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Interesting article. They aren't going away anytime soon. There are 2 factions it reports. The mainstreaming of this ideology and a violent fringe one. The violent faction has killed 50 people last year in North America and just killed 50 in New Zealand. I think in the USA, we need to monitor them more than any other terrorist group since they are the ones committing the most terrorism. Sites like this one are what I would call white supremacist light. Many of the buzz words are used here.

This group monitors right wing hatred. You'll often see parallels with what they report and the stuff that is being vomited here. http://www.rightwingwatch.org/
while I read the SPLC article, and found some of it interesting it also is inaccurate in some of its "facts"

they categorize the Parkland FL shooting as White Nationalist? that's how they get to a count of 50 killed in America last year.

so im not willing to accept that as an accurate assessment.

I want numbers. don't see any in this thread.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:57 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
it sure would be nice to deal with some facts.

I just spent a few minutes looking for information on the web... you know.... doing the super-duper uber accuate Google Research...

all I got were biased groups talking about crazy white people.

I actually am willing to accept data from groups like this even while understanding their bias. But what I have found is, the data is lacking. There really isn't that much data that says X is happening.

I see stuff about FBI reporting of hate crimes increasing some but there is no real breakdown. how much of that is a rise in White Nationalists or white racists? how much of it is related to political attacks by groups like ANTIFA? are those things even getting categorized as hate?

I absolutely believe that violence based on hatred is on the uptick. but that hatred has many forms. We are living in a period where angry rhetoric from all sides has been steadily increasing for the last 20 years or so. you cant have that without having marginal people acting out violently as a result.

I am not trying to play it down. I want actual factual numbers on violence as a result of hate in all its forms and I want those numbers broken down by what the source is.

I just cannot find data that gives any real direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies