Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/24/w...ish-power.html

this is at least a part of the reason some people risk being called anti-Semite when dealing with the likud party...but i am sure the pro-Israel crowd can put a good spin on it

Mr. Netanyahu, his future imperiled by prosecutors and political challengers alike, has enraged Jewish leaders in Israel and the United States by striking a bargain with a racist anti-Arab party whose ideology was likened by one influential rabbi to Nazism. Even pro-Israel groups in the United States that prefer to air their disagreements quietly have issued public condemnations.

Last edited by elvis44102; 03-22-2019 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Otzma Yehudit is not a racist party. It is not anti-Arab, but rather anti-Islam, which I submit is a good thing, especially in Israel if you're intent on survival as a nation. I hope that the coalition is victorious and that Bibi gets another term as prime minister

Old 03-22-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Otzma Yehudit is not a racist party. It is not anti-Arab, but rather anti-Islam, which I submit is a good thing, especially in Israel if you're intent on survival as a nation. I hope that the coalition is victorious and that Bibi gets another term as prime minister
thats good spin! thankx
The party is considered to be Religious Zionist, Kahanist, ultra-nationalist, anti-Arab, and far-right,[8][9][3][34] and has also been described as racist.[35][36][37] Though the party disputes this.[38] It calls for the annexation of the West Bank, and for complete Israeli rule between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea. The party is against the formation of a Palestinian state, and advocates for the cancellation of the Oslo accords, as well as for imposing Israeli sovereignty over the Temple Mount. The party also advocates for increased teaching of Jewish history in all elementary schools to "deepen Jewish identity in students".[9] The party is against "freezing construction of Jewish settlements, releasing terrorists, or negotiating with the PA".[39] The party advocates for the deportation of "Arab extremists".[39] On 24 February 2019, party member Itamar Ben Gvir called for the expulsion of Arab citizens of Israel who are not loyal to Israel.[40] The party advocates for what it calls "Jewish capitalism" as its economic system; they plans on saving "billions of shekels from the reduction of the defense budget following the removal of the enemy", which would be directed at infrastructure development, reducing bureaucracy and regulations, as well as allocating resources to strengthen "weak populations". The party also supports aiding the elderly and disabled. The party is also opposed to abortion.[41] The party supports easing restrictions on the IDFs rules of engagement.[4

Old 03-22-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
thats good spin! thankx
That's truth.

Note, the far left also criticizes Bibi Netanyahu as being "racist" and "anti-Arab" as he campaigns against " Arab voters" (his words). I made a thread about this during the last Israeli general election: Netanyahu is NOT racist against Arabs Of course, these folks fail to mention that the Islamic political groups in Israel have and continue to run under the banner of the "Arab List." When folks like Netanyahu attack "Arab voters" in the context of electoral politics, they are talking about the list, not all Arabs. But the left in Israel--like the left in the USA--is content on spreading lies if it means hurting conservatives.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
thats good spin! thankx
The party is considered to be Religious Zionist, Kahanist, ultra-nationalist, anti-Arab, and far-right,[8][9][3][34] and has also been described as racist.[35][36][37] Though the party disputes this.[38] It calls for the annexation of the West Bank, and for complete Israeli rule between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea. The party is against the formation of a Palestinian state, and advocates for the cancellation of the Oslo accords, as well as for imposing Israeli sovereignty over the Temple Mount. The party also advocates for increased teaching of Jewish history in all elementary schools to "deepen Jewish identity in students".[9] The party is against "freezing construction of Jewish settlements, releasing terrorists, or negotiating with the PA".[39] The party advocates for the deportation of "Arab extremists".[39] On 24 February 2019, party member Itamar Ben Gvir called for the expulsion of Arab citizens of Israel who are not loyal to Israel.[40] The party advocates for what it calls "Jewish capitalism" as its economic system; they plans on saving "billions of shekels from the reduction of the defense budget following the removal of the enemy", which would be directed at infrastructure development, reducing bureaucracy and regulations, as well as allocating resources to strengthen "weak populations". The party also supports aiding the elderly and disabled. The party is also opposed to abortion.[41] The party supports easing restrictions on the IDFs rules of engagement.[4
Nothing you provided above shows that the party is racist. If anything, those are commonsense policies in Israel, when you're faced with constant efforts by radical Islamists to wipe you off the face of the earth.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Nothing you provided above shows that the party is racist. If anything, those are commonsense policies in Israel, when you're faced with constant efforts by radical Islamists to wipe you off the face of the earth.
you know im 63 and an amateur history buff...personally i just wish people could realize how much more they have in common than there differences..i sometimes think the "natural" norm of humanity might just be acts of violence and reprisals...i just hope it will stop one day...

whenever we as people have "peace-makers" come along they are always shouted down..

i am aware of the history of the middle-eats since ww1 and there has been enough double-dealing and under-handed non-sense in that area of the world to last a long time...i distrust religious people of ALL flavors when it comes to politics lol

Old 03-22-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
you know im 63 and an amateur history buff...personally i just wish people could realize how much more they have in common than there differences..i sometimes think the "natural" norm of humanity might just be acts of violence and reprisals...i just hope it will stop one day...

whenever we as people have "peace-makers" come along they are always shouted down..

i am aware of the history of the middle-eats since ww1 and there has been enough double-dealing and under-handed non-sense in that area of the world to last a long time...i distrust religious people of ALL flavors when it comes to politics lol
I don't disagree with you in a general sense. Truly. Unfortunately, in this case, if Israel disarmed itself it would be wiped off the face of the earth (multiple Arab nations have already tried and stateless terrorist groups continue to try today). Whereas, if Hamas/PLO disarmed, they would live in peace. After all, only one side in this debate has launched preemptive attacks against the other. That tells me all I need to know about which side to discuss in this debate.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with you in a general sense. Truly. Unfortunately, in this case, if Israel disarmed itself it would be wiped off the face of the earth (multiple Arab nations have already tried and stateless terrorist groups continue to try today). Whereas, if Hamas/PLO disarmed, they would live in peace. After all, only one side in this debate has launched preemptive attacks against the other. That tells me all I need to know about which side to discuss in this debate.

i would agree that we have mostly attacks by Muslim types...but as i said there was plenty of double-dealing and promises by the British before modern Israel existed..and Israel itself was founded with terrorist bombings of British occupiers..while perhaps not for as many years as we have had the "Arab" bombings...
i have a friend who was born in Syria and has family there whos house was only a few miles from last years missile attacks and she has told me that what we see on news shows is not always the correct thing..lol
this friend is a legal us citizen and has a PHD..she is no dumbbell

Old 03-22-2019, 08:38 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you at all. What I will say is that none of the above is any reason for the USA to continue to provide a relatively wealthy nation like Israel with financial aide. They have the money let them pay for their own stuff and we should absolutely stop sending them our very vest and latest technology. They have after all been caught selling to China and Russia. Not the most trust worthy ally we have.

I will also say that it is really none of our business who Israel's PM makes a deal with. If we don't like it we have choices.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I don't disagree with you at all. What I will say is that none of the above is any reason for the USA to continue to provide a relatively wealthy nation like Israel with financial aide. They have the money let them pay for their own stuff and we should absolutely stop sending them our very vest and latest technology. They have after all been caught selling to China and Russia. Not the most trust worthy ally we have.

I will also say that it is really none of our business who Israel's PM makes a deal with. If we don't like it we have choices.
To be fair, Israel receives only military aid (there are loan guarantees, too, but Israel pays this back, so I don't count this as aid that most people talk about). These are weapons/weapons upgrades/etc. We also don't send Israel all of our best and latest technology as there is no need to do so; Israel doesn't need, for instance, the full missile defense technology we have to combat Hamas rockets. But our aid has been instrumental in creating systems like the Iron Dome to defend against missile/rocket attacks and in ensuring that Israel maintains a modern military.

True, Israel is a relatively wealthy nation. But Israel also pays the great majority of its defense budget; we give Israel around $3 billion a year worth of military aid (I'm not even sure if this is part of their defense "budget"), but Israel's defense budget is over $18 billion a year.

Having written all of that, while cutting aid to all foreign nations sounds enticing to me (especially as we are in debt ourselves and have people in our own country struggling to get by), I acknowledge that much of our aid expenditures is in our national interests as it ensures continuing influence/stronger ties/intelligence sharing/etc. This is true with Israel and with many other nations receiving aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies