Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:43 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,655,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Really? Is that how you have interpreted the last 2 years where the Left has tried everything they can to take down Trump and much of it to the detriment of the country?

Whatever happened to Obama telling us how important the peaceful transfer of power was for our country? Or did he only say that because he thought Hillary was a shoe in and Trump would be the one to complain?

In my experience it is those that identify as Democrats that refuse to listen and talk. I have seen this from friends, family and here on CD. I like Trump, I don't love Trump but that is not good enough because they demand that I hate him. There is no middle ground when talking politics with a Democrat.

If a Democrat should win in 2020 I doubt that we will see the end of their frustrations. Republicans will get over a loss but the Dems might not be able to get over a win. They are certainly sore losers.
This is a laugh to me, because we are both fish out of water in our respective states, you a conservative living in a blue state, and me a liberal in a red state (though I'm from a blue state originally). I have the same view of Pubs as you do of Dems, and probably for the same reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 AM

162 posts, read 62,552 times
Very different world views, growing even more different as technological bubbles shelter people in echo chambers.

Can someone born and raised on 100 acres in the country ever see eye to eye with someone born and raised in downtown Chicago or LA?

Does someone who studied philosophy, history or global economics at an ivy league university see the world the same way as someone who barely made it through high school?

Could someone who has traveled the world and made friends with people of all backgrounds be more open to diversity, tolerance, and change than someone who has never left their hometown and had the same friends their entire lives?

I suppose there is no right or wrong here, but very different perspectives that are likely irreconcilable. It is interesting though how people from all of these different backgrounds feel equally qualified to decide what is best for a large diverse nation of 320 million people.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,744,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabaman View Post
Very different world views, growing even more different as technological bubbles shelter people in echo chambers.

Can someone born and raised on 100 acres in the country ever see eye to eye with someone born and raised in downtown Chicago or LA?

Does someone who studied philosophy, history or global economics at an ivy league university see the world the same way as someone who barely made it through high school?

Could someone who has traveled the world and made friends with people of all backgrounds be more open to diversity, tolerance, and change than someone who has never left their hometown and had the same friends their entire lives?

I suppose there is no right or wrong here, but very different perspectives that are likely irreconcilable. It is interesting though how people from all of these different backgrounds feel equally qualified to decide what is best for a large diverse nation of 320 million people.
You should veil your disdain a bit more, your intolerance is showing.....As for the OP? Nope never happen with out one side getting rid of the other whatever side that may be.........

Old 04-05-2019, 08:03 AM

17,475 posts, read 9,303,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Yes indeed.

Just read this morning that Grassley thinks Mueller's report should be released.

https://twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/st...06805715574784

Everyone wants the Mueller Report released.
NOT everyone is demanding that the US Attorney General Break US Law in the release.

AG Barr will release the report ... He will NOT break US Law, and Senator Grass,eye did NOT say that he should break US Law ... which is what the House Democrats actually voted that he should do.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:17 AM

17,475 posts, read 9,303,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Really? Is that how you have interpreted the last 2 years where the Left has tried everything they can to take down Trump and much of it to the detriment of the country?

Whatever happened to Obama telling us how important the peaceful transfer of power was for our country? Or did he only say that because he thought Hillary was a shoe in and Trump would be the one to complain?

In my experience it is those that identify as Democrats that refuse to listen and talk. I have seen this from friends, family and here on CD. I like Trump, I don't love Trump but that is not good enough because they demand that I hate him. There is no middle ground when talking politics with a Democrat.

If a Democrat should win in 2020 I doubt that we will see the end of their frustrations. Republicans will get over a loss but the Dems might not be able to get over a win. They are certainly sore losers.
The last 2 years have been nothing but about the Election of Donald Trump and the loss of a Democrat in the Oval Office. That clearly is not changing. Pelosi and her herd are not Legislating, then are still attempting to take down Orange Man Bad. They have no plans to Legislate - they know they can’t campaign against our great Economy, so they have nothing left to do but to perpetuate the Collusion Delusion.

That’s Crazy, and Normal People tend to avoid getting involved with Crazy people.
Normal People sure don’t put them in charge of the Oval Office.

I’ve never seen anything like this in my life.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:23 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 17 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,609,128 times
I talk with my conservative brother about politics all the time. He's a firm Republican, but not a Trump fanboy. We understand that each of us is a person worthy of dignified treatment. And we do have passionate arguments (guns and immigration seem to be his big things. My thing is social tolerance, tackling income inequality). It also helps that we've known each other all our lives. We can be passionate, but we do disagree without castigating each other. I understand he's well away from the alt-right, and he understands that I'm not a "hate America" type. We do agree on a surprising amount, but still enough to not share the same votes in federal office elections.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 AM

8,446 posts, read 4,765,180 times
If we all just agree with the left and never say things they disagree with things will be perfectly civil. For a while...until the left moves the goal posts again.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
If we all just agree with the left and never say things they disagree with things will be perfectly civil. For a while...until the left moves the goal posts again.
Just switch left and right and this would be what the Republicans want

Old 04-05-2019, 10:33 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,508,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Sell crazy someplace else, we're stocked up here. I'm a New York expat, and I only left because I wanted a drier sunnier warmer climate. If NY had California weather, I would have stayed
Enlighten me: what's crazy about my post?

I can defend my stances and support them with cited facts.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Enlighten me: what's crazy about my post?

I can defend my stances and support them with cited facts.
You're a reactionary. I'm plenty familiar with your posting history. I'm surprised you like South FL so much. Your beliefs seem like they'd be much more in place in Mississippi or Arkansas, maybe Oklahoma. I can see why you didn't like NY, but you make it sound like Mao's China when it isn't freaking so! I know, I spent the first 18 years of my life in NY. I liked it there, but hated the weather (except summer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies