Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 01:27 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times

Advertisements

It's easy, and disingenuous, to say we should change the system after you've got yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 02:07 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
I think some of the one percenters know that the situation is actually extremely dangerous for them. Another major economic collapse could be all it takes to spark violent civil unrest and in other countries that has often resulted in the elite quite literally losing their heads. Paying higher taxes is from their perspective a better option. But they created the problem in multiple ways. Attacking unions, off-shoring jobs to the third world, automation, manipulation of the markets, etc.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
If you saw the interview with him on 60 minutes last night you'll know that he isn't attacking capitalism. He's saying the gap between the lower and upper level classes has widened drastically and those in the lower level only have a 14% chance of improving their lot in life.

He's not suggesting there be a redistribution of wealth, he said the wealthiest should be taxed more and opportunities for advancement should be created for those in the lower levels.

I'm surprised people have a problem with that. Have you not noticed that the middle class has shrunk?

Old 04-08-2019, 02:20 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Relative to what?

Income equality is a tenet of freedom in that it allows for people to go beyond the oppressive, soul-crushing limits imposed by egalitarianism.

What action do you propose people take, leftist?

Read your history. Start with the progressive movement at the turn of the 20th century. You may learn a thing or two.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:21 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Read your history. Start with the progressive movement at the turn of the 20th century. You may learn a thing or two.
The progressive movement is what destroyed this country.

See: Roosevelt, Theodore and Wilson, Woodrow.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:53 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I've read enough history to learn about the hundreds of millions of people who were murdered and starved in the name of achieving a perfect "progressive" society.

Progressive. You leftists have been successful at hijacking that word. But you are anything but progressive.

You're a hive of authoritarians who require total devotion to your ideological dogma. So-called progressive ideas can't stand up to the slightest scrutiny and produce such poor results that any diversity of thought is seen as a threat and immediately attacked as heresy.

I keep asking leftists what is the basis of their morality and they never answer me because I believe they either can't articulate it or it boils down to John Lennon's musical rendition of the Communist manifesto, Imagine.

I have found most leftists to be shallow thinkers and easily fooled. They mistake being credentialed for being educated and they are led around by the nose by people with letters after their names because they use their ideas to fill the void in their lives for a deeper meaning. They have replaced one religion with another, one that is less restrictive and reminds one of the free-love Woodstock hippies who thought they had the world figured out. They still cannot resolve the reality their ideas do ... not .... work.

Egalitarianism is a huge lie. We are not equal nor will we ever be. We all have different attributes, talents, and abilities which, combined with our choices, produce unique life outcomes for each of us.

Progressive. What a crock of s--t.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:04 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSENGERTOASCHERON View Post
I saw him on CNBC this morning. One of this major points was that public education is under serving and not providing for equal opportunity. I totally agree. But this failure is that of government, not the free market.

Privatize K-12 education and you may see some improvement there. Education however is one of so many examples of how handing it to government is about the worst of all ideas.

With rare exceptions, private enterprise always will do it better. Amazing that Dalio's suggestion is the throw more money and power at the entity (government) which screwed up K-12 in the first place. We need an Apple or Amazon on K-12 education, and we'll only see it happen once the government steps aside.
What a ridiculous argument..

So how will people who are poorer get an education that helps them compete with a family that makes $650,000 a year?

We already have major inequalities where someone who is raised from a family who works super hard and their parents earn $29,000 a year is going to have a much more difficult time than a snobby lazy spoiled brat who's parents make $650,000 a year..

Old 04-08-2019, 03:20 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I've read enough history to learn about the hundreds of millions of people who were murdered and starved in the name of achieving a perfect "progressive" society.

Progressive. You leftists have been successful at hijacking that word. But you are anything but progressive.

You're a hive of authoritarians who require total devotion to your ideological dogma. So-called progressive ideas can't stand up to the slightest scrutiny and produce such poor results that any diversity of thought is seen as a threat and immediately attacked as heresy.

I keep asking leftists what is the basis of their morality and they never answer me because I believe they either can't articulate it or it boils down to John Lennon's musical rendition of the Communist manifesto, Imagine.
My religious beliefs. Now can I get you to explain to me where we find in Capitalism the government (taxpayers) bailing people out of their bad investments?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:24 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...y?srnd=premium

Even the ruling class of America can see it.

Yet we have people who willingly vote for puppets of the ruling class who'll serve their interests at the expense of the common man.

We should all ask ourselves: who are the major donors of the person I support and what does that tell us about who will be served?
That does shine a light. We could just look at policy.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:30 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you saw the interview with him on 60 minutes last night you'll know that he isn't attacking capitalism. He's saying the gap between the lower and upper level classes has widened drastically and those in the lower level only have a 14% chance of improving their lot in life.

He's not suggesting there be a redistribution of wealth, he said the wealthiest should be taxed more and opportunities for advancement should be created for those in the lower levels.

I'm surprised people have a problem with that. Have you not noticed that the middle class has shrunk?
If he said those in the lower only have a 14% chance and it's about how income equality is a huge problem, then he's full of it. lol It's about the purchasing price of he dollar.

Increase those odds by finishing high school, work a full time job, wait until you're 21 to get married and have kids and you'll have a 75% chance of being middle class or higher and only a 5% chance of being permanently poor.

How one solves a problem is what matters. Not that you're saying otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies