Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 10:05 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
They probably are on the verge of introducing totally automated drive up windows.
Yeah, I actually know someone that works at Target and their wages are being escalated too.

More automation and oh wait....yeah, they're firing anyone that isn't performing really well.

Heck this has been a noted economic effect.

I personally don't care, this is up to BOA after all, but there will be winners and losers despite people being incapable of understanding how businesses operate thinking it's just wins all-around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 AM

2,923 posts, read 979,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
So let's just keep wages low and let people barely scape by. Meanwhile, Bank of America saw a profit of close to $23 billion last year, and the CEO is pulling in excess of $22 million a year. All the C-Suite executives are taking home tens of millions of dollars every year.

But sharing the wealth by paying their workers a good wage is going to break them.
its their money. If they think it's a good business decision to do this, good for them.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:11 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Some conservatives melt....and all the anarchists also.....

“If you get a job at Bank of America, you’ll make $41,000,” Chairman and CEO Brian Moynihan says."

Before anyone mentions these are "professionals", I'll note that my 18 yo Son worked in a drive-up window.

Other Banks are following suit. Good for them.

For those who want to only bank where low wages are paid, that's easy enough. Check the job listings or sign up for a free trial on Glassdoor.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/b...RCH_KO0,11.htm

Me? I'm going to check in with my local bank AND Fidelity and Vanguard and make sure they are paying living wages. Social justice is good.

And you, (or more likely, the gullible people you seek to lead around by the nose) probably think the check is in the mail and the government is here to help us as well.

"Minimum wage" is a sick joke, no one with any ability expects to be stuck at it for vey long, but in a gutted, post-industrial society, the thinly-disguised boot-licking called "customer service" (always an easier sell to "trailing spouses" than to those whom seek to be primary breadwinners) takes precedence; and that, in turn, lies at the center of all the duplicity that characterizes too many contemporary workplaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drungus View Post
BOA is doing this because they need more and better employees, not because they are humanitarians. And that's exactly as it should be.
But it's also a safe bet that if technology eliminates most front-line teller's jobs, the whip will be cracked even harder on those who remain, and job security (and possibly, "work/life balance" - a buzzword for the common desire of a shorter and less-structured workday and work-week) will be diminished.

I've never put much stock in the theory that Internet forms are habited by paid "trolls" with a heavier agenda, but some of the "sweet lies" in this thread make it just a little harder for me to dismiss this.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-09-2019 at 10:46 AM..

Old 04-09-2019, 10:12 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
When an employer can play with taxpayer money it's not hard to do something like this.
This is the most accurate comment on this thread. When corporations know the government will bail them out in their revolving door, crony capitalistic system, they can play dangerously much more easily.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:16 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Momma, what is a bank teller? It's gonna be hard times for a whole lotta people in the coming years as automation takes whatever jobs globalism left behind.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:16 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe the serfs wont look so unfavorably at their crony/govt counterfeiting business model if they virtue signal enough. I see its working on some already. Besides we can always bail them out if they err in overpaying their employees.
Yeah, I've been in the serfice (serface) business for a long time.

When I paid my employees very well, I was attacked by the Government and Banking institutions.

Seems the hierarchy is powerfully maintained.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:18 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Your concern for billionaire corporations is sooo cute!!
Those corporations are owned by investors that include most everyone with a 401k or pension.

It's not just one person, might even want to look up the definition.

Just something you should consider.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
It's nice that this bank is voluntarily doing this without the left passing a law forcing them to. I hope it works out for them, and I hope these jobs are all going to American citizens. Perhaps some other competing banks will voluntarily follow suit.

A private business setting its own wages as it sees fit is capitalism in action.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:27 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drungus View Post
Why would conservatives melt? This is simply the market being allowed to do what the market demands.

BOA is doing this because they need more and better employees, not because they are humanitarians. And that's exactly as it should be.
And it has nothing to do with the optics when bankers are called before the Democratic house this week and will be asked to explain why 1/3 of banking employees are on public assistance while CEO enjoy salaries and benefits valued in the billions.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:29 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Some conservatives melt....and all the anarchists also.....

“If you get a job at Bank of America, you’ll make $41,000,” Chairman and CEO Brian Moynihan says."

Before anyone mentions these are "professionals", I'll note that my 18 yo Son worked in a drive-up window.

Other Banks are following suit. Good for them.

For those who want to only bank where low wages are paid, that's easy enough. Check the job listings or sign up for a free trial on Glassdoor.
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/b...RCH_KO0,11.htm

Me? I'm going to check in with my local bank AND Fidelity and Vanguard and make sure they are paying living wages. Social justice is good.
Your son was a money launderer for a criminal organization?

Yeah, I'd boast about that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies