Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 04:57 PM

17,800 posts, read 13,698,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://ktla.com/2019/04/20/washingt...nt-of-the-day/

I wouldn't say they play cards a considerable amount of the day, but having been in a few hospitals many of them do seem to just sit around and talk while ignoring their patients.

Many older nurses seem to be true professionals at their craft, but I would venture to guess many millennial nurses just get into it for the big money.

https://nurse.org/articles/make-over...-travel-nurse/

When people hear about $19,000 paychecks for two weeks work, many who otherwise would not get into nurses end up becoming nurses just for the money and it seems as though they can treat patients horribly in many cases and not have to worry about it.
Clueless. Absolutely clueless.

Nurses have tons and tons of paperwork to do. Nurses in hospital are required to do hourly rounding.

They bust their butts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 05:16 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:

I wouldn't say they play cards a considerable amount of the day, but having been in a few hospitals many of them do seem to just sit around and talk while ignoring their patients.

Many older nurses seem to be true professionals at their craft, but I would venture to guess many millennial nurses just get into it for the big money.

When people hear about $19,000 paychecks for two weeks work, many who otherwise would not get into nurses end up becoming nurses just for the money and it seems as though they can treat patients horribly in many cases and not have to worry about it.

In my whole life I have hd very few bad experiences with nursing staff. These last few years I've bee hospitalized a lot and I've come to know ad be friends with a lot of nurses. CNAs and RNs. I have to take some issue wit the "sitting around playing cards" thing. And some of the best nurses who have taken care of me are in their early 20s.

I suppose care quality can vary from facility to facility city to city state to state. But my experiences here locally have been quite positive.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
I've done prolonged end of life care for two elderly family members. The doctors wore worthless. Every single one of them. 90% of the nurses were beyond amazing. The other 10% were at the very least competent.

Just my experience.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
This senator has yet to see a nurse leave her job and immediately go out for a martini supper. They go home, kick off their shoes and collapse in a chair for a few minutes of rest,..... if they're lucky.

Most I would venture get to start all over again with caregiving of another sort, but just as demanding, as soon as they walk through their front door.

I've been hospitalized enough times in my 73 years to give blessings for every single nurse I've ever had come near me.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:25 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
My partner is a nurse and she busts her tail. This senator has managed to outrage an entire proffession with her ignorant comments.
Maybe someone should follow Walsh around all day and report back how productive she is.
Best wishes on your mothers recovery.
I agree with you. I am a cancer survivor. The nurses are who made the difference in my care. Most of the doctors I fantasized ways to kill them, slowly.... They never seemed to have 10 seconds for their patient. The nurses were amazing. They are the true backbone of our medical system. They are the ones who get screamed at, shat upon, peed on, puked on, cried on, and all the while offer comfort to the ill.

That Washington State Senator needs to go spend some time in a cancer ward. He needs to spend time in a neonatal care ward. He needs to go spend time in a hospice ward. He needs to spend some time in a city ER.

I dont know what hospital he visited, but Nurses have a damned tough job and it takes a very special person to do that job. The senator is inviting down staffing which will endanger patients. He doesn't care because as a Senator he will always have the option of the finest health care in the land. He is a scum bag.

By the way Frank. We don't always agree, but on this we do, and thank your partner for a former cancer patient. I appreciated my nurses. They made the difference.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:27 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,865,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
In my whole life I have hd very few bad experiences with nursing staff. These last few years I've bee hospitalized a lot and I've come to know ad be friends with a lot of nurses. CNAs and RNs. I have to take some issue wit the "sitting around playing cards" thing. And some of the best nurses who have taken care of me are in their early 20s.

I suppose care quality can vary from facility to facility city to city state to state. But my experiences here locally have been quite positive.
CNA's work incredibly difficult job and I do think they should have a $15 minimum wage if a facility gets government subsidies.

Honestly, CNA's should make closer to $20 an hour even if Medicare and Medicaid have to reimburse more

CNA's work incredibly hard and it is one of the most honorable occupations out there. They should allocate more Medicare funding and require a $15 minimum wage for all CNA's nationwide.

RN wages on the other hand in some places make an amount that is so high that is it increasing health care costs up alot.

RN's make around $28 in South Dakota which is about where it should be, but in some areas like San Francisco the average is $63 which is causing Medicare and Medicaid to pay out much more driving up health care costs.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:29 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
This senator has yet to see a nurse leave her job and immediately go out for a martini supper. They go home, kick off their shoes and collapse in a chair for a few minutes of rest,..... if they're lucky.

Most I would venture get to start all over again with caregiving of another sort, but just as demanding, as soon as they walk through their front door.

I've been hospitalized enough times in my 73 years to give blessings for every single nurse I've ever had come near me.
Amen to that.

I was going through the tortures of the damned with Chemo. My nurses were there for me. They made me feel like I was their family. No doubt their might be some bad nurses out there, but my guess is, very few. That job weeds out the slackers. They will end up as school nurses, factory nurses, or just find a different profession.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:

I did nursing for a few years, and my sister did it all her working life.

Few people work harder than nurses. At all levels. If they're playing cards, it's because they're on their break, but they've stuck around, instead of leaving the floor. And if some kind of emergency occurred, they'd drop their cards, rush out to help, and wouldn't whine if they never made up for their lost break time.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,188,111 times
Nurses are overpaid. Especially the ones who work the night shift. I have met some kind ones in the VA system and some nasty tempered ones that shouldn't even have a job as a nurse.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Nurses are overpaid. Especially the ones who work the night shift. I have met some kind ones in the VA system and some nasty tempered ones that shouldn't even have a job as a nurse.
Fine. Don't be a patient in an ICU that pays more than minimum wage. See how well that works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies