Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 05:29 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
Ya know, I have to admit it surprised me a bit that OP had The Woodlands listed as conservative.
Although a number of people consider Hillary to be a 'corporate Democrat' and Trump to have a history that is often not conservative, Montgomery County was the only county in the U.S. where Trump beat Hillary by more than 100,000 votes.

I don't know when you moved to The Woodlands but, in 2012, Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain held their Presidential debates at The Woodlands Resort (at the Conference Center, which sort of backs up to the Grogan's Mill Center (at the intersection of Grogan's Mill and South Millbend) where the Randall's is located).

Quote:
I see quite a few Beto stickers on bumpers around here.
I do as well.....and I don't see many cars with 'sticker residue' where someone did a poor job of removing a sticker.

In 2016, a guy who lives (on a side street, where it intersects with South Millbend) a few blocks toward I-45 from the Woodlands Country Club Tournament Course Clubhouse along South Millbend (past the straightaway, where the road is bending to the left if you're traveling east) had a Trump/Pence sign on his front lawn. Multiple times, someone (with aftermarket, oversized tires and wheels) in a big pickup/Hummer/SUV ran off of Millbend, over the drainage ditch, across the guy's lawn, and flattened the Trump/Pence sign (you could see the tire tracks each time). He then (must have hired someone to do it) suspended the sign way, way off of the ground hanging from a big, old tree in his front yard. Once he did that...the sign stayed there until after the election.

Quote:
I can see it being majority conservative thinking folks but there is definitely a strong liberal presence here as well.
I moved here in 2008, and I was mostly considering Katy and The Woodlands. I remember going to a mainstream bookstore near Katy (I cant remember if it was the closest Barnes and Noble, or if it was the Books-A-Million at the Katy Mills Mall) and noticing, with the displays, that it was the most right slanted mainstream bookstore I had ever been in in my life. I also remember coming out of a grocery store in the Kelliwood area of Katy (an area that is not lacking re affluent residents) and not seeing my car right away because it was surrounded on three sides by jacked up Hummers and a jacked up other SUV or full size pickup . A day or two later, I was at the Barnes and Noble at The Woodlands Mall and I noticed the stock and the displays to be more balanced/to at least attempt to have information along the spectrum....unlike what I saw in/adjacent to Katy. I also noticed the same re cars (more hybrids, AWD Subarus, luxury Japanese and German sedans, etc. mixed in with the full sized trucks, SUVs, and vans)....and in the last 11 years, in my observation, this has become even more the case.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:34 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,128,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Look at how much money those liberal cities generate. Full of highly educated people. So much diversity and opportunity there as well.
What do you mean by "diversity?" Strange cultures and behaviors? Non-assimilation?

Old 05-03-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Pasadena Texas has three types of people.

Lower middle class- middle class Hispanics, Rednecks, and Clear Lake The Woodlands/Cinco Ranch-esque people. The rednecks aren't really rednecks though as any real redneck would have moved to League City/Bacliff/Friendswood Alvin.
^^^^^ IMO, this is spot on .

Quote:
Also the best Rednecks are here on the West Side. Because Katy is objectively the best part of Houston.
No comment....beyond no comment .

Old 05-03-2019, 05:38 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,892,093 times
I like to visit both CA and VA but wouldn't want to live in either state. It is flat out too expensive in CA and VA is too close to DC.

Texas? Too dry for my taste, but I loved hunting hogs down there. I like the Rockies too much and I love Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. I like South Dakota as well..

Old 05-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Well, it don't get much redder than that.

Unless he moved, that poster lives near the eastern/southeastern shore of Lake Tahoe in Nevada.

He is getting some blue influence...even if it is only to 'Keep Tahoe Blue' .

Old 05-03-2019, 06:14 PM

63,009 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
What do you mean by "diversity?" Strange cultures and behaviors? Non-assimilation?
That's exactly what the liberal left embraces.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I like to visit both CA and VA but wouldn't want to live in either state. It is flat out too expensive in CA and VA is too close to DC.

Texas? Too dry for my taste, but I loved hunting hogs down there. I like the Rockies too much and I love Wyoming, Idaho and Montana. I like South Dakota as well..
Houston would probably be too wet for your taste.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:51 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,057,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I don't know when you moved to The Woodlands but, in 2012, Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain held their Presidential debates at The Woodlands Resort (at the Conference Center, which sort of backs up to the Grogan's Mill Center (at the intersection of Grogan's Mill and South Millbend) where the Randall's is located.
We moved here from Dallas in 2017.

Yeah, I would have missed Newt and Herman.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:21 PM

128 posts, read 120,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
And dooky! Don't forget the sidewalks covered in dooky!

That's diversity.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:32 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,172,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Look at how much money those liberal cities generate. Full of highly educated people. So much diversity and opportunity there as well.
Opportunity abounds in the queen of lib cities (SFO) for some genius to come up with a roomba to scoop the crap off the streets.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies