Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 10:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,411,306 times

Advertisements

I live close to Pasadena. It has some nice parts but some ghetto areas as well. Altadena and South Pasadena are much nicer.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:17 AM

7,102 posts, read 6,004,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Houston would probably be too wet for your taste.
When I lived in H-Town the humidity and gulf storms were almost on par with our sub-tropical Charleston, SC where I currently reside.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:36 AM

29,557 posts, read 9,771,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

Unless he moved, that poster lives near the eastern/southeastern shore of Lake Tahoe in Nevada.

He is getting some blue influence...even if it is only to 'Keep Tahoe Blue' .
Ah! Lake Tahoe. One of my absolute favorite of all places to be!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ism/ar-AAcVMdS

Top 10 states for tourism. Not hard to see why I don't think...

California - Popularity ranking/U.S. visitors: No. 1. Popularity ranking/overseas visitors: No. 3

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-04-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-04-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snozz Berries View Post
As someone that was born in Huntington Hospital, grew up in Altadena, and went to HS in Pasadena, that's actually just not true. The nicest areas of Pasadena (Linda Vista/San Rafael, Oak Knoll, or Chapman Woods) are ritzier than the nicest areas of Altadena or South Pas. The two cities that are actually as high end as those areas of Pasadena are San Marino and La Canada.
I'm somewhat familiar with these areas having grown up in SoCal...

http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Ma...alifornia.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Pasadena-California.html

San Marino is a residential city in Los Angeles County, California, United States. It was incorporated on April 25, 1913. With a median home price of $2,431,900, San Marino is one of the most expensive and exclusive communities in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marino,_California

Used to be you could go to/from these places without spending all day in traffic, but unfortunately that problem has become very significant in the greater Los Angeles area and much the other more urban parts of California. Used to be I could drive HWY 39 to Huntington Beach from Hacienda Heights on any given weekend without a problem. Now, foghettaboutit...

Most of Northern California is better than most of Southern California in this regard.

Better in more than a few other regards too far as I'm concerned...

Old 05-04-2019, 12:30 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,326,932 times
Only the three in TN from the second list or Huntsville, AL. I think I would fit in well with the politics and culture of much of Texas but nothing else about that state, such as the climate, topography, larger cities, etc. has ever appealed much to me for some reason.

I don't think I could live in a very liberal city. I live half an hour from the most liberal city in Michigan, Ann Arbor, and every time I'm there it's like I sense a strange, intangible, oppressive darkness and I can't wait to leave. Other people I know have expressed the same feeling, even some who consider themselves somewhat liberal.

Being surrounded by people whose gods are secular education, human wisdom with no thought of a Higher Power, condescension, and materialism is very depressing for me.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,411,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snozz Berries View Post
As someone that was born in Huntington Hospital, grew up in Altadena, and went to HS in Pasadena, that's actually just not true. The nicest areas of Pasadena (Linda Vista/San Rafael, Oak Knoll, or Chapman Woods) are ritzier than the nicest areas of Altadena or South Pas. The two cities that are actually as high end as those areas of Pasadena are San Marino and La Canada.
Uh, what did I say that wasn't true?

I didn't mention neighborhoods. I mentioned the entire cities (though Altadena is technically unincorporated). Pasadena has ghetto-ish parts and a history of some gang issues. Of course it still has great areas like the ones you mentioned. South Pas and Altadena don't have any bad areas at all.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:43 PM

73,131 posts, read 62,780,216 times
I live in one of the reddest counties in Georgia. As soon as I save enough money to get my own home (or move to another state), I'm getting out. Meth use is high where I live. There have been several drug busts over the last 2 years. Too many Confederate flags flying (I HATE THE CONFEDERATE FLAG). I consider it a depressing place to live.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:49 PM

37,158 posts, read 42,294,043 times
All the diversity includes the rich/poor divide like not seen in other places. People talk about diversity like it means something solid and positive, it does not. It's just a side note to whatever else is going on.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Only the three in TN from the second list or Huntsville, AL. I think I would fit in well with the politics and culture of much of Texas but nothing else about that state, such as the climate, topography, larger cities, etc. has ever appealed much to me for some reason.

I don't think I could live in a very liberal city. I live half an hour from the most liberal city in Michigan, Ann Arbor, and every time I'm there it's like I sense a strange, intangible, oppressive darkness and I can't wait to leave. Other people I know have expressed the same feeling, even some who consider themselves somewhat liberal.

Being surrounded by people whose gods are secular education, human wisdom with no thought of a Higher Power, condescension, and materialism is very depressing for me.
Always amazing to me to witness how different perspectives can so differently influence our sense about these sorts of things...

Reminds me a bit about how people can even hear music differently, depending on whether it's Country or Rock-and-roll for example. I've heard people describe both in similar terms. For some, country gives off the more positive vibe. Rock more dark and edgy. For others country is just too twangy and altogether too white, male, homogeneous, while rock-and-roll is for all the peace-loving "live and let live" types. Can usually hear the lyrics better in country songs. Hard to deny that fact anyway.

Spent some time in Chicago not too long ago also for example. A pretty liberal city by most standards. From the city we drove out into the country, along the Illinois River, and instantly you could almost feel the "vibe" change. Every other station on the radio was preaching the gospel, and the family sharing the breakfast area in our hotel looked like something from pilgrim days. Father sat in the corner while his wife carried their new born around dressed in bonnet and long dress, making sure all the kids got fed. Their older daughter took care of another younger daughter, all dressed the same way. Three young boys also dressed in genes and long sleeve flannel shirts, pretty much eating everything in sight.

We were certainly in "God's country" where finding any restaurant that didn't pretty well just serve meat and potatoes was rare. Any foreign cuisine was pretty well impossible to find, except maybe Mexican. I could only guess what sort of thinking all that lack of diversity was breeding for the next generation too.

No doubt we've got Americans living in different "worlds" right here in the same country, and depending on what sort of thinking is going on between the ears, so goes your sense of light vs "strange, intangible, oppressive darkness."

Old 05-06-2019, 11:43 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,575,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Please stop with the bs. Diversity often leads to civil war.

Hutus versus Tutsis
Shia versus Sunni
Protestant versus Catholic
Aryans versus Jews
Muslims versus Christians
Etc ets etc
I don't see any civil war in Canada, nor anything approaching that in the United States either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies