Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 04:04 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,872,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You need a Mohawk, purple hair, a few facial piercings, carry 100 lbs extra, and be covered in tattoos to be "normal".
I have noticed that people back in the early and mid 20th century in photos gained weight in their 50s and 60s, but were relatively thin until then.

The liberal media has ingrained in the population that people should be proud of an extra hundred or two hundred pounds. Never mind that the health care delivery system will collapse in the next decade or two because such a large percentage of the population carries that extra weight.

It seems like based on my observations these days there are far more average weight and healthy looking people in their 60s and even 70s compared to those in their 20s and 30s.

A large percentage of millennials seems to be failing already due to lifestyle and not genetics. In another decade there will not be close to the amount of resources to take care of them.

The tattoos and purple hair though in my opinion are the least of our worries, the extra 100 pounds that a large percentage of the county carries in my opinion is going to doom the health care infrastructure of the country.

In many big cities especially, people do whatever they can to stand out in their heavily-socially based economies.

They do things like as many piercings, tattoos and art on themselves as possible because they get attention and attention is very important in big cities today.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,828,697 times
Has anybody considered the fact that in the 50s, people spent much less time in their cars and sitting on the couch watching TV? Instead of eating at McDonalds or Buffalo Wild Wings, people ate at a mom and pop diner or cooked at home? Everyone wants to blame this all on liberalism and less Christianity, but just look at the way we built our cities and neighborhoods in the '50s compared to how we do now.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:40 PM

19,858 posts, read 12,134,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Has anybody considered the fact that in the 50s, people spent much less time in their cars and sitting on the couch watching TV? Instead of eating at McDonalds or Buffalo Wild Wings, people ate at a mom and pop diner or cooked at home? Everyone wants to blame this all on liberalism and less Christianity, but just look at the way we built our cities and neighborhoods in the '50s compared to how we do now.
I grew up in the late 60’s, early 70’s and we almost always ate every meal at home. Even when we went on vacation we would pack a cooler full of sandwiches for the drive. Eating out was a rare treat, maybe once or twice a month not an everyday bagel or macchiato. I love my comfort and convenience now but am so glad I grew up when I did. We were playing outside all day.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:43 PM

30,480 posts, read 19,246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
In general, we have a huge number of Obese people today, that we didn't have at that time.
Yep, we have to get a handle on our national weight problem (I already have)

Old 04-25-2019, 04:57 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,125,642 times
Meh, some people choose how they wanna look. Only concern would be things like obesity.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
In general, we have a huge number of Obese people today, that we didn't have at that time.
75% of us are overweight/ obese.

The 45-64 age group has the highest incidence of obesity.

https://www.stateofobesity.org/obesity-by-age/

Old 04-25-2019, 04:58 PM

30,085 posts, read 18,701,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have noticed that people back in the early and mid 20th century in photos gained weight in their 50s and 60s, but were relatively thin until then.

The liberal media has ingrained in the population that people should be proud of an extra hundred or two hundred pounds. Never mind that the health care delivery system will collapse in the next decade or two because such a large percentage of the population carries that extra weight.

It seems like based on my observations these days there are far more average weight and healthy looking people in their 60s and even 70s compared to those in their 20s and 30s.

A large percentage of millennials seems to be failing already due to lifestyle and not genetics. In another decade there will not be close to the amount of resources to take care of them.

The tattoos and purple hair though in my opinion are the least of our worries, the extra 100 pounds that a large percentage of the county carries in my opinion is going to doom the health care infrastructure of the country.

In many big cities especially, people do whatever they can to stand out in their heavily-socially based economies.

They do things like as many piercings, tattoos and art on themselves as possible because they get attention and attention is very important in big cities today.
Drawing attention to one's self is the opposite of what my generation sought- keep your head low and blend in.

The extra weight is certainly a concern. However, if one sits and plays computer games for recreation, it is no wonder. When hiking out in the mountains, we rarely see younger people, unless they are from Europe or New Zealand.

The social media bit is a huge factor. You will see people at ball games or out to dinner and they have their noses in their phones, rather than interacting with the people around them.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep, we have to get a handle on our national weight problem (I already have)
It’s a matter of taking personal responsibility, or not.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:04 PM

35,742 posts, read 21,110,055 times
Toxic judgemental post - is it look down on people day ?

Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 PM

30,299 posts, read 23,784,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Americans in general look absolutely gross compared to back then. Not saying I am the best looking person but collectively it's strange how far America has fallen since back then.

So many average looking people back then would be better looking than today's super models. Lack of words for how good looking Americans used to be.

Will be interesting if trends continue by 2030 what America will look like then. Obesity and ailments associated with it are likely to cause healthcare infrastructure to collapse in a decade.

1950-1960 – The College Voice

Class of 1950 at Commencement, Scripps College :: Claremont Colleges Photo Archive

I have to say I was in a book place looking at books that showcased pictures of large gathering events from generations ago and I almost couldn't believe how I saw maybe two people considered obese by today's standards from browsing multiple books.

I also notice in historical photos how feminine women looked back then and how masculine men looked.

I must have looked at 20-30 books of different cities in the early 20th century that had pictures of gatherings and out of 1,000 or so people that I have must have seen, only a few were obese.

Even in the last 20 years people look much different now. People look very, very rough and tattered these days in general.

Run of the mill people a century ago in their 20s and 30s were better looking than today's celebrities. I almost gasped how much the country has declined.

200 pounds back then was like 350-400 pounds today. It's very sad honestly.

I can only imagine how people who visit from countries like Japan must think when they come here.

There have been times as a 5 foot 11 inch and 170 pound guy that I feel like a some of a freak these days as sometimes I will be one of only a few non-obese people in a large gathering.
I don't see that they look any better than people do today, with exception of actually caring how they dress. As for obese, yeah, there's some obese people, but maybe it's where you live. I don't know a whole lot of obese teens and 20 year olds, nor have I ever known a lot of obese teens and 20 year olds. The majority have not been obese. If you're comparing these people, who are young, to older people of today - well, sometimes older people get fat. But the young people typically are not.

The difference between then and now is not their physical appearance, it's how they dressed. They were modest, which I think looks great. Today people show everyone everything, which I think is nasty. And it says a lot about the person who feels the need to show everyone everything they got - low self esteem and a bit of narcissism thrown in. That's not attractive. Don't get me started on angry SJWs.

Regardless, the fatties and the angry SJWs are not the majority, and again, most of the younger people I've seen and know are not fat nor obese. They just have pi$$ poor taste in clothing. Apparently, dressing like a street walker or a slob is "empowering".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies