Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 04:44 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The fact conservatives do this makes perfect sense when you understand how they view the hierarchy of authority.

God > the church > the state > the husband > the wife > the children
Um, I think you have that a little wrong. It goes like this:

God > Church > State > Husband > Male Children > Female Children > Wife

Since they think wife = incubator who for all intents and purposes is neither a person nor sentient and is useless for any purpose except for cooking, cleaning, and childbearing, you could even leave her off. Female children get removed when they (are forced to) marry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm downright tired of liberals and Democrats pushing THEIR agenda on the rest of us. When I say I hope that Roe vs Wade gets repealed, all that means is that those of us outside of the Northeast and California are able to run our own affairs and pass our own laws. Its not going to affect Planned Parenthood's ability to operate in New York, New Jersey or California and other liberal areas. Liberals are obsessed about pushing their views and policies nationwide. I can tell you that Louisiana is OVERWHELMINGLY a pro-life state and this is the ONE issue that nearly all voters (the city of New Orleans being an exception) agree on regardless of political party or race. Politics is otherwise very divided along racial and partisan lines here but pro-life is the thing that unites nearly everyone. Some of the strongest opponents of abortion in Louisiana are Democrat and/or black....even if some of these same Democrats are anti-police or pro-BLM and anti-2nd amendment. Even many gay people here are still pro-life.

As cliched as it is, we don't need New York values, Los Angeles values or Chicago values pushed on us.

Excuse me? As someone who supports abortion, I don't force you to get an abortion if you don't want one. But if you support passing restrictive abortion laws, that means you are forcing me to give birth when I don't want to. How in the world do you get that liberals and Democrats who support abortion are pushing their agenda on you out of that? Do you see anyone threatening you with murder charges for not getting an abortion? Do you see anyone telling you that your decision to not get an abortion can't remain between you and your doctor, but must include the entire state senate as well? Do you see a world where you want to give birth and doctors are forcing you to give up your baby?

No, you don't, and neither do the rest of us. If you think there's an agenda, then show a little backbone and walk away, for crying out loud, because nobody is forcing you into anything, unlike the old white farts who want to force women into giving birth. Believe me, if you were really forced into following an agenda and had to give birth because of it, you'd surely know it. What you think you're going through right now is just a little teenage angst and drama compared to actually having to give birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Serious question, do you actually believe anything you wrote here?

Stop reading Slate and Twitter. There are plenty of articles out there that can help you process the absurdity of what you wrote.
The Georgia law is a personhood law. Read it. And then read this:

https://medium.com/s/jessica-valenti...l-86ab8951cdcc

"Melissa Ann Rowland of Utah was arrested and charged with murder after one of her twins was stillborn. The reason? She had refused a C-section.

Purvi Patel of Indiana was sentenced to 20 years in prison for feticide. She said she had a miscarriage, and no traces of any abortifacient were found in her blood work.

Angela Carder was 27 years old, 26 weeks pregnant, and had cancer. She was forced to undergo a C-section in Washington, D.C. to try to save the baby despite the risk to her health. They both died.

Michelle Lee — on a waiting list for a heart transplant — was denied an abortion by a Louisiana hospital despite the pregnancy endangering her life. She had to be transported to Texas by ambulance to end the pregnancy.

Rennie Gibbs of Mississippi was 16 years old when she delivered a stillborn baby — she was indicted on charges of “depraved-heart murder” after accusations that she used drugs.

A woman in Louisiana was jailed on charges of second-degree murder after she went to the hospital for unexplained vaginal bleeding. It was over a year before medical records showed that she had a miscarriage.

Christine Taylor of Iowa was charged with attempted feticide after she fell down the stairs at home.

Bei Bei Shuai lost her pregnancy after she tried to kill herself — within a half hour an Indiana homicide detective was questioning her. She was arrested for murder."

This women were all charged while abortion is legal. Imagine what would happen if it wasn't or a woman had a miscarriage in a state where it was legal to convict and sentence her to prison for abortion.

So, I'm asking you, what do you think? And if you still think what I posted is all a flight of fantasy, why don't you contact the women here on this list and ask them what they think? See if they believe what I've posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Same way California and New York try to force their wacko beliefs on the rest of the country. That’s politics.
Again, beliefs are just beliefs. You can believe anything you want. You can believe all women need to wear red and all men need to wear cowboy hats. It doesn't matter what you believe until you want to force those beliefs onto other people and make them act out your beliefs.

Nobody is saying you need to believe in abortion. Nobody is making you get one. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Nobody cares if you don't want an abortion, don't have an abortion, or wouldn't recommend an abortion to anyone. But when you start forcing women to go through the birth process because of your beliefs, then you are acting out your beliefs and YOU are the one forcing others to comply with them.

If I told you I believed everybody needed to drive green cars, you are free to say, yeah, sure, and walk away. Just me saying I believe you need a green car is not imposing my beliefs on you. You telling me I can't drive a green car isn't imposing your beliefs on me, either. We're both still free to drive or not drive a green car. Neither of us is forced to buy or not buy one. But if I started initiating legislation to force you to buy a green car because of my belief you need one, now we can talk about how I'm forcing you to do something.

Do you get the difference? Do you understand how you can not agree with someone and still not be "harmed" by someone else's choice just because you don't agree with it?

Quote:
Sometimes I do think we would both be happier if you people had just let us leave in 1861.
Believe me, we'd be thrilled if you and all those like you would just go somewhere, leave the rest of us in peace and quit trying to legislate your morals on us all the time. By all means, if you want to go back to live in a time when segregation existed, women couldn't work outside the home, and your religion ruled everything, I'd say fine, go, get out of our hair, and be happy. Run your own little Christian heaven. See how much fun it is when you have to build your own roads, provide your own electricity and clean water, educate your own kids, be responsible for the safety of your own food, or provide top medical care without having a decent hospital or educated doctors and nurses to work in it.

But we're stuck with you.

So if you want to live in a state where abortions aren't allowed, feel free. I just hope you can afford to feed and house all those kids who will be born and I can't wait to see your economy after 20 years, especially your rise in crime. We'll need popcorn.

------------------------------------------------------------

Didn't we try to ban alcohol at one point in this country? That went so well, didn't it?

And of course, we have all this forward thinking as well:

This piece of work thinks if a woman gets impregnated with a child from her rapist, it's God's will.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...mating/264035/

"The idea that coerced reproduction is God's will is of a piece with the belief that the subjection of women is God's will. The two ideas are inextricably intertwined historically, and the former is stubbornly resilient relic of the latter. To unpack this a bit more: According to Mourdock's thinking, a man who forces a woman to have sex with him against her will is a criminal, but a man who forces a woman to bear his child through forced sex should be permitted to do so, because abortion is murder and every conceived child is a gift from God."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 04:57 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think it IS possible a 5-4 vote could overturn Roe v Wade. How would the women in this country react to such a reality--a return to back-alley butchers?
No. Some states would have nearly no restriction on abortions and others a near total ban.
People will go where it is legal and safe.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:59 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
No. Some states would have nearly no restriction on abortions and others a near total ban.
People will go where it is legal and safe.
People would continue to live in all 50 states, no matter what their states laws are.

Missouri today has just 1 abortion provider. Its gaining population.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:14 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You're asleep if you don't see what's happening to this country the past several years. 46 years ago this was a different country and, for all the events of the 60's, less divided than it is today. Americans basically hate each other today and it's readily apparent even on this thread.

There's nothing in the 14th amendment specifically providing for a right to abortion and in fact for most of this country's history abortion was largely outlawed or heavily restricted and courts upheld that for nearly 200 years. What was done 46 years ago can be easily reversed. The first amendment is quite plain in language about what's protected, as is the second (which many of the abortion supporters are okay with attacking), third, etc. The SCOTUS interpreted the Constitution in the Dred Scott case, but did that actually settle the issue for the country? The SCOTUS upheld segregation, then reversed course later. If Roe v Wade rejected abortion you'd be typing here that you want it reversed.
Abortion has nothing to do with slavery. The liberty spoken of in the Fourteenth Amendment is personal liberty. I cannot imagine anything more intimate or personal than trying to deprive someone of control over their own body. Yet, that is exactly what happened in Alabama and Missouri.

The Supreme Court will not overrule Roe v. Wade. This despite a few ultra whacko conservatives in the Bible Belt.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:29 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think it IS possible a 5-4 vote could overturn Roe v Wade. How would the women in this country react to such a reality--a return to back-alley butchers?
No Roe v Wade case is in the works. I do suspect Heartbeat bills would be upheld 5-4 at SC.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Fine. Keep on passing these ridiculous, draconian laws, and your state will lose a lot of business as a result. Loss of business = loss of revenue. Loss of revenue = loss of jobs. Loss of jobs, business, and revenue = your state's economy goes down the toilet. I know this for a fact because about 9 years ago, my state passed a strict immigration law that was well intended, but it ended up backfiring. We faced many boycotts and lost a lot of money as a result. But if you're happy with being a backwater, more power to you.
Fear of that happening was surely one reason why Oklahoma's incredibly extreme abortion ban bill, SB13, didn't get so much as a committee hearing.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Actually no you're wrong. We only want to be able to run OUR OWN AFFAIRS. Overturning Roe vs Wade will not stop New York and California from allowing abortion in their own states. We simply don't want abortion here.

Things like abortion and gay marriage should be decided on the state level, just like states should have the right not to implement Obamacare.
So you very much hope your state becomes an exporter state of abortion. My God, how can you possibly take pride in that?

Old 05-18-2019, 06:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No Roe v Wade case is in the works. I do suspect Heartbeat bills would be upheld 5-4 at SC.

No, I think the Heartbeat bills will lose 5-4 or 6-3. The SC women will explain to "Boofin' Brett" that a safe abortion is just like boofing. Instead of beer in your rear, (like what he's used to), it's like Cherry Kool-Aide flowing in the opposite direction. He'll fall in line along with Roberts, so any abortion bill that ends up in the SC, will keep abortion "as is" in a 6-3 decision.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:05 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1 RvW will NOT be overturned

2. women have tasted killing, and apparently they like it...RvW will not go away
And some men are cowardly, uncaring, narcississtic morons.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
I predict the proof of the existence of god and heaven will still remain elusive and no one who took part in the saving of these unborn babies will come any closer to entering this fantasy land after death. Prove me wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies