Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:30 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,591,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
They are no different than ANY corporate tax. All such taxes are a "tax on consumers". Funny how the TDS-afflicted like to ignore that. The same people that threw a temper tantrum over the "Trump tax cuts" and now holding their breath and stamping their feet over tariffs.
Incorrect. As I have previously pointed out, tariffs are a cost levied on consumers but corporate tax cuts are not a benefit passed on to consumers.

Tariffs raise the price of foreign-made products to the point where higher-priced American-made products become competitive so US manufacturers start to make them (meaning the US consumer is forced to pay for the higher-priced American-made product). Corporate tax cuts, however, are bestowed on existing American businesses that are already competitive in the market and thus have no incentive to pass those savings along to the consumer.

You don't have to take my word for it, however. Just look around you. Since the Trump tax cuts, consumer goods prices have not fallen (in fact, they have risen). Just today, however, Walmart announced prices are going up on consumer goods due to the tariffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM

4,583 posts, read 3,411,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That didn't make any sense, perhaps you could explain it?
Easy, the hiring around here due to tariffs have engendered an approximate $3/hr pay increase due to the retail establishments now having to compete with all the new manufacturing jobs. These jobs are full time or 2080 Hr/yr x $3/hr or $6200 in pay increase minus the $2200 added price impact as stated by the economist person hence a $4000/yr betterment in standard of living.

That is what is actually occurring here.

It will be such a riot when Trump can use all this anti-union, anti-labor, ant-middle class rhetoric being presented by the liberal community against them in the next election.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
They are no different than ANY corporate tax. All such taxes are a "tax on consumers". Funny how the TDS-afflicted like to ignore that. The same people that threw a temper tantrum over the "Trump tax cuts" and now holding their breath and stamping their feet over tariffs.
Not true. A 90% tax on profits that American companies make from overseas production would get production back here. After all, it is these business claiming that China is stealing from them, should it not be them having to pony up the costs of enforcement?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
It will be such a riot when Trump can use all this anti-union, anti-labor, ant-middle class rhetoric being presented by the liberal community against them in the next election.
Indeed it will be.

Here’s the thing: I’m actually not a fan of Trump. I think he’s a dangerous demagogue. And I would be considered a “liberal†by most conservatives.

But I do think Trump is right about international trade and how it is screwing american workers. I think Ross Perot was also right about this issue.

It’s truly Amazing how today’s Democrats have contempt for ordinary working people. On economic issues, Trump is actually to the Left of the Democrats.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Indeed it will be.

Here’s the thing: I’m actually not a fan of Trump. I think he’s a dangerous demagogue. And I would be considered a “liberal” by most conservatives.

But I do think Trump is right about international trade and how it is screwing american workers. I think Ross Perot was also right about this issue.

It’s truly Amazing how today’s Democrats have contempt for ordinary working people. On economic issues, Trump is actually to the Left of the Democrats.
Which is exactly why Trump is the worst of all worlds, having retained his horrendous personality traits, poached the worst Democrat ideas, and jettisoned the best Republican ones.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Which is exactly why Trump is the worst of all worlds, having retained his horrendous personality traits, poached the worst Democrat ideas, and jettisoned the best Republican ones.
Protecting American workers is not a bad idea.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
You are not protecting American workers by levying tariffs against China. You are shifting manufacturing jobs to low-wage countries other than China while hurting American workers who export to China.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:50 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,837,072 times
Quote:
If we need government intervention to make certain industries competitive then we probably should not be trying to compete in those industries - any advances made that are propped up purely by the government artificially inflating the price of competitive goods are built entirely on quicksand. You will end up with entire market sectors that will simply collapse on the type of minor political policy changes that are constantly in flux from year to year. And in the mean time, you will pay more for pretty much everything - not just foreign goods but American goods as well.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
If we need government intervention to make certain industries competitive then we probably should not be trying to compete in those industries - any advances made that are propped up purely by the government artificially inflating the price of competitive goods are built entirely on quick sand.
Agreed - why the US consumer should be subsidizing noncompetitive US industries handpicked by the Government is beyond me. This is particularly true when it will come at the expense of competitive American industries.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:54 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Trump followers are oblivious that tariffs are not paid by China, but by USA citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies