Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 06:01 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Pedantic. You missed the forest for the trees.

What figure do you want to settle on? 85%? 50%? Heck even 20%? You know the death rate is <1% in an abortion clinic for a mother?

Does that change anything about what I said in the sense of back alley abortions? Banning abortions is the same as banning alcohol, we know how that turned out. It goes underground.
I remember that the number of women who died, had complications or lost the ability to have children was a huge issue at the time. I suppose it's not now because it doesn't happen anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 06:01 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I live in suburbs of Austin. The city council is a JOKE! The homeless here is exploding and they pass stupid left winged laws all the time. Its a mini-California in Texas. im just waiting to cash out my home in a few years.
Don't worry. It will sell quickly.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:15 PM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
I seriously doubt that the city of Austin has any dealings in Alabama anyway. And, I doubt that Alabama cares.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:54 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I remember that the number of women who died, had complications or lost the ability to have children was a huge issue at the time. I suppose it's not now because it doesn't happen anymore.
I’m sure that to most people they are just “collateral damage.” All that matters in America right now is that the church maintains control and that the social norms of conservative Christianity are enforced on all Americans. But just watch. In a few years it’s no longer going to be about “Christian values” but “Baptist government” vs control by Rome, like it used to be.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 PM

15,095 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
There are no babies being murdered and it is none of your business what happens in my womb or the womb of any other woman who decides not take your opinion into consideration when making life and health personal choices. Do we get to choose what you do with your organs or bodily functions? Do I get to choose when to pull the plug on another's family member when they are on life support? Will you be calling me or any other stranger if this situation arises in your family?

This anti-choice BS is a desperate attempt for a dying ideology and party to hold onto vestiges of the past as they become less and less relevant. Wedge issues always work to manipulate the rubes and tools.
It is true that morality is indeed a dying ideology, along with basic humane behavior ... at least among those which may never have actually embraced such a thing to begin with, except when it benefited themselves personally.

But we have a much broader aspect of morality that most people throughout the ages have ALWAYS embraced as just and self evident, (aside from violent criminals, sociopaths and psychopaths ), basic acceptable human behavior. That being the idea that human life is so precious that no one has the “right”, let alone the “choice” to kill another human being, except in cases of self defense.

To this basic level of universal, mandatory, acceptable moral behavior, we owe our continuing existence. Consequently, leftists, in order to escape such fundamentally required humane behavior, must then declare the unborn baby non-human, by labeling it a “fetus” ... as if that somehow will eliminate the reality of it having a distinctive human form, with heartbeat, arms and legs, etc., indicative of another human being, like ourselves, who universally expect and assume such protection of our lives as a fundamental right.

Moreover, we as human beings are obligated to adhere to common, universally agreed to behavior, and particularly with respect to the most basic idea ... the value of human life, and the right to life of our fellow human beings. We are not just bound morally, but also legally to such concepts. Be it through deliberate acts, or even accidental, we can be criminally culpable for harm or loss of life of another human being by our behavior. Consequently, the answer is NO ... YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO “Choose” to end the life of another human being for nothing more than personal “convenience”. And you NEVER have had such a right, EVER. Only psychopaths would claim such a thing.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How does a city boycott a state?

Do they divvy up ... interstate roads?
Basically the city of Austin is banned from any contracts with Alabama.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:49 PM

9,982 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Right, but Austin is "Sister Cities" with Old Orlu in Nigeria where abortion is straight-up illegal, and Xishuangbanna in China, where the "one child" policy has led to forced abortions and a significant imbalance of male vs female births.

Can you say "selective posturing?"

Old 05-18-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
It is true that morality is indeed a dying ideology, along with basic humane behavior ... at least among those which may never have actually embraced such a thing to begin with, except when it benefited themselves personally.

But we have a much broader aspect of morality that most people throughout the ages have ALWAYS embraced as just and self evident, (aside from violent criminals, sociopaths and psychopaths ), basic acceptable human behavior. That being the idea that human life is so precious that no one has the “right”, let alone the “choice” to kill another human being, except in cases of self defense.

To this basic level of universal, mandatory, acceptable moral behavior, we owe our continuing existence. Consequently, leftists, in order to escape such fundamentally required humane behavior, must then declare the unborn baby non-human, by labeling it a “fetus” ... as if that somehow will eliminate the reality of it having a distinctive human form, with heartbeat, arms and legs, etc., indicative of another human being, like ourselves, who universally expect and assume such protection of our lives as a fundamental right.

Moreover, we as human beings are obligated to adhere to common, universally agreed to behavior, and particularly with respect to the most basic idea ... the value of human life, and the right to life of our fellow human beings. We are not just bound morally, but also legally to such concepts. Be it through deliberate acts, or even accidental, we can be criminally culpable for harm or loss of life of another human being by our behavior. Consequently, the answer is NO ... YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO “Choose” to end the life of another human being for nothing more than personal “convenience”. And you NEVER have had such a right, EVER. Only psychopaths would claim such a thing.
You failed to address the fact that abortions will happen regardless of if it’s law or not.

The difference will be whether a back alley doctor will use coat hangers on a woman or if a doctor who has a medical degree will perform it.

More people will die and the same number of babies will die either way. The number of dead women and women with fertility issues will skyrocket.

There’s idealism and reality. I focus in reality. I’m an engineer.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Right, but Austin is "Sister Cities" with Old Orlu in Nigeria where abortion is straight-up illegal, and Xishuangbanna in China, where the "one child" policy has led to forced abortions and a significant imbalance of male vs female births.

Can you say "selective posturing?"
Sister cities is just a good will thing.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:51 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I'm not in favor of these restrictive abortion laws, but Austin itself (as the capital of a state under full Republican control)
Austin is as liberal as it gets. Who rules the state is immaterial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies