Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Stop making sense.

Rs liked it fine then. Called it a huge victory for truth, justice, and the American way.

They don't like it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 12:38 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
How exactly is a popular vote disenfranchising voters? If anything it is giving power to every voter, including the ones who voted against the eventual winner. If you are a republican in CA, your vote counts for nothing in an electoral vote. One of the reasons for the electoral college is to act as an impetus for the President to be the President for every American. How do you explain Trump giving the finger to 70% of the voting population?
Republicans in CA would rather the EC than a popular vote. I know because I was one.

If the idea of a popular vote is so great that everyone will love it, then do it the right way and propose an amendment. Stop trying to backdoor it.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:08 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Republicans in CA would rather the EC than a popular vote. I know because I was one.

If the idea of a popular vote is so great that everyone will love it, then do it the right way and propose an amendment. Stop trying to backdoor it.
I was a republican also. I didn't prefer the EC. Though I always voted I never felt that my vote for a republican candidate mattered because it hasn't been close here in a long time. With a popular vote it would have contributed to the total in a meaningful way.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:10 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,177 times
The electoral college needs to go. Trump also needs to go and no doubt he is on a highway to hell.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:19 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I was a republican also. I didn't prefer the EC. Though I always voted I never felt that my vote for a republican candidate mattered because it hasn't been close here in a long time. With a popular vote it would have contributed to the total in a meaningful way.
If you understand we are a republic of states rather than a pure democracy then you should have no issue with the EC. I voted in CA in every election knowing that my choice would not be what the state as a whole would choose, except Reagan. But I did live in a rural county where elected officials were Rs and that had more affect on my daily life than the POTUS.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:28 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
. If enacted, no candidate will bother even stopping in the majority of the states.
Tell my why it is important that a candidate makes a cameo appearance with a canned stump speech in East Podunque North Dakota? They are there for maybe three hours and have no time to explore any local issues before racing off to East Jesus in another state...and doing it again three more times for the day. It only serves to run up the cost of campaigning. The primary state contests and televised debates offer more information. But you have to be attentive and actually be an informed voter which is often too much to ask of Americans these days.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:33 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,089,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Whatever dude. The country is divided because the democrats WON'T ACCEPT THAT TRUMP BEAT HILLARY IN 2016.

This is what it all goes back to. 24/7. Dems and liberal policies have destroyed CA and turned the state into a total sanctuary cesspool of homeless, illegals, and drugs and feces and pop up tents littering every corner and storefront, and now the filth is spreading.

https://www.facebook.com/90240021027...477749&sfns=mo

Last edited by TinaTwo; 05-22-2019 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 01:38 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I doubt this could survive a constitutional challenge. What could happen is that the majority in Nevada votes for Trump. But the majority in the country votes for the Dem. So the votes that normally would go to Trump, go to the Dem. This effectively nullifies the voters of Nev. Talk about voter suppression.
I don't remember anyone having their panties in a wad over Maine or Nebraska's way of dealing with the EC.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:50 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,404,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
No, the Electoral College was an awkward compromise designed for one purpose: to accommodate slavery. A direct popular vote was first proposed. But the southern states objected because at the time they had small numbers of white citizens and large numbers of black slaves who could not vote. That meant in every election the Northern candidates would always win. James Madison proposed a solution that included the Electoral College and allowing the slave states to count blacks as 0.6 of a person to apportion electors. This is the famous Three-Fifths Compromise.

The Electoral College is an antiquated band-aid built to accommodate slavery. It no longer serves that purpose and should be abolished.

One of the few persons in this discussion who understands the foundation of the electoral college. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All these great self-professed constitutional scholars on this board forgot about this language from the Original Constitution:
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.
Article I, Section 2, Clause 3
The whole electoral college scheme was for the purpose of maintaining the slave holding states, the"slave power" as it were known during the civil war, power and influence. The scheme was simple: as slave holding whites were greatly outnumbered by slaves and slaves obviously could not vote, they needed a way to preserve their power. A direct presidential vote would lessen their grip and influence so they went with this 3/5s a person compromise so these states received credit for their number of slaves. A greater population meant more electoral votes and more influence in the House.

The whole electoral college scheme should have been discarded after the civil war. Ironically, it is the electoral college that is giving the former confederacy more influence than it should have.

Do away with it. The Electoral College has only resulted in the worse presidents this nation has ever had.

Last edited by TreeBeard; 05-22-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 02:04 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If you understand we are a republic of states rather than a pure democracy then you should have no issue with the EC. I voted in CA in every election knowing that my choice would not be what the state as a whole would choose, except Reagan. But I did live in a rural county where elected officials were Rs and that had more affect on my daily life than the POTUS.
Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies