Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 10:23 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

Im going to make a whole lot of loosely based opinions, more like anecdotal observations, just saying.

I myself would never make it into the conservative club because I have a string of beliefs that kick me out of that club, I say this to add some context to my points.

I have a co-worker that just dumps on America every single chance he gets, I mean it's just obvious he dislikes American culture. That is fine, I suppose, we all can have our views, lol, it's America after all.

He is a far leftist in his views, he ticks all the boxes for that type and he doesn't deny it. He always turns every conversation into how America sucks rant, whatever. While I'm not a guy who thinks we do no wrong, I can and appreciate the good and see the bad America has done.

What I don't get is is that it seems like the people on the left just see only the bad. It seems like America is always always the bad guy in every situation. I have to work with this guy and I just wanna say pick up a history book and get a bigger picture understanding of our history. Yeah, we've made mistakes but god damn, we're not that bad.

What is it with some types that just wanna **** on America and not acknowledge that we are decent nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Im going to make a whole lot of loosely based opinions, more like anecdotal observations, just saying.

I myself would never make it into the conservative club because I have a string of beliefs that kick me out of that club, I say this to add some context to my points.

I have a co-worker that just dumps on America every single chance he gets, I mean it's just obvious he dislikes American culture. That is fine, I suppose, we all can have our views, lol, it's America after all.

He is a far leftist in his views, he ticks all the boxes for that type and he doesn't deny it. He always turns every conversation into how America sucks rant, whatever. While I'm not a guy who thinks we do no wrong, I can and appreciate the good and see the bad America has done.

What I don't get is is that it seems like the people on the left just see only the bad. It seems like America is always always the bad guy in every situation. I have to work with this guy and I just wanna say pick up a history book and get a bigger picture understanding of our history. Yeah, we've made mistakes but god damn, we're not that bad.

What is it with some types that just wanna **** on America and not acknowledge that we are decent nation.
Americans as individuals are a wonderfully hardworking and industrious lot. But the few people who actually run the country generally suck.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:47 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
I'm sure there are some people here who would think I might fall into this category. I consider myself a liberal; I would never vote for a Republican at any level other than possibly locally.

That being said:

* I don't want to live anywhere else but the United States. If for no other reason, this is my culture. Vancouver and Toronto seem like awesome cities, but I love what the United States has made and what it does. I don't want to go anywhere else.

* While I think that undoubtedly we've made major mistakes internationally, I think no other country could do what we do in terms of being an international power. This world would be screwed without us. Any country that is morally better than us can be so only because they don't have as much on their plate as we do.

* I like Americans on the whole. That includes Republicans. The vast majority of Republicans are good people that I could hang out with.

I agree with you - - we are a decent nation. Maybe we can get back to a place at some point where we aren't such a divided nation. Whoever that president is, Democrat or Republican, will be an all-timer.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Why toot your own horn? What’s the point? Should he tell you how great we are? Do you want to be told things that you already know or believe? That ain’t very interesting.

Sure, this country is decent, but it has the capacity and ability to be far better. Many people see a very serious deterioration in living standards, governance, culture, and infrastructure. They see fellow Americans going bankrupt over health care costs. They watch American corporatists move their friend’s, family’s and neighbor’s jobs out of the country. They also see an apathetic majority of Americans that have no interest in fixing anything, yet, all they seem to care about is me, me, me. Gimme my tax cut! Nevermind that we’re running a 20 trillion dollar debt.

This country has pyssed away 6 trillion dollars on foreign entanglements that have born absolutely NO fruit while our sclerotic, dysfunctional government can’t even find the money to fix infrastructure or come up with a compromise on health care.

Folks see rampant drug addiction...the United makes up 4% of the world’s population, and 30% of the world’s opioid users. We lead the first world in incarceration rates. The education system is a bloated mess. Mass shootings are now routine. Corporate avarice in the United States is the worst of any country on Earth.

Yeah, sure...it’s still a good country, but we’re in serious trouble if we don’t get it together. Hell, we’re in trouble now. This isn’t the time for blind flag waving. The damn wheels are coming off, and it’s high time that we either rally to fix this mess or just throw in the towel. Something’s gotta give here.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why toot your own horn? What’s the point? Should he tell you how great we are? Do you want to be told things that you already know or believe? That ain’t very interesting.

Sure, this country is decent, but it has the capacity and ability to be far better. Many people see a very serious deterioration in living standards, governance, culture, and infrastructure. They see fellow Americans going bankrupt over health care costs. They watch American corporatists move their friend’s, family’s and neighbor’s jobs out of the country. They also see an apathetic majority of Americans that have no interest in fixing anything, yet, all they seem to care about is me, me, me. Gimme my tax cut! Nevermind that we’re running a 20 trillion dollar debt.

This country has pyssed away 6 trillion dollars on foreign entanglements that have born absolutely NO fruit while our sclerotic, dysfunctional government can’t even find the money to fix infrastructure or come up with a compromise on health care.

Folks see rampant drug addiction...the United makes up 4% of the world’s population, and 30% of the world’s opioid users. We lead the first world in incarceration rates. The education system is a bloated mess. Mass shootings are now routine. Corporate avarice in the United States is the worst of any country on Earth.

Yeah, sure...it’s still a good country, but we’re in serious trouble if we don’t get it together. Hell, we’re in trouble now. This isn’t the time for blind flag waving. The damn wheels are coming off, and it’s high time that we either rally to fix this mess or just throw in the towel. Something’s gotta give here.
And yet millions from around the world, include Africa, Europe, Asia and Latin American countries are still trying everything they can to get here legally, and illegally. And yet we still have the number one GDP. We still serve as the military for Europe, and all the nations of the Western Hemisphere, and the world still depends on us as peace keepers. Our government still serves as a model and aspiration for governments around the world. Our poor still live a lifestyle that kings from other eras could not dream of.

Saying that we should consider throwing in the towel is buffoonish, even for you. I have a better idea: why don't YOU throw in the towel and leave? I am doing just fine, as are even most of the whiners that put these ridiculous words in your mouth.

Really. Throw in that towel. That would be great.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:02 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
And yet millions from around the world, include Africa, Europe, Asia and Latin American countries are still trying everything they can to get here legally, and illegally. And yet we still have the number one GDP. We still serve as the military for Europe, and all the nations of the Western Hemisphere, and the world still depends on us as peace keepers. Our government still serves as a model and aspiration for governments around the world. Our poor still live a lifestyle that kings from other eras could not dream of.

Saying that we should consider throwing in the towel is buffoonish, even for you. I have a better idea: why don't YOU throw in the towel and leave? I am doing just fine, as are even most of the whiners that put these ridiculous words in your mouth.

That poster you quoted is just a hater, reading three or four of his posts and you can sum him up pretty quickly.

Someone to ignore,

Old 06-14-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post

Everyone is “doing just fine” on CD. Hell, I’m gonna even say that you’re a bazillionaire.

“And yet millions are trying to come here.” Lol.. so what? How is that relevant? That’s like you’re starving, and have no food and no way to get any food, and I offer you you a 3 course meal featuring all foods that you hate. You’ll eat it no matter how much you don’t like it.

If people wanting to come here makes you feel better, then have at it.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
That poster you quoted is just a hater, reading three or four of his posts and you can sum him up pretty quickly.

Someone to ignore,
This is just idiotic. The truth really hurts, huh? You made the damn thread as if you wanted honest input about what you posted. I gave you my two cents, but as it turns out, you only wanted people that would smooch your behind and agree with everything you said.

Since that’s the case, why didn’t you just attach that request as a codicil to your rant?

Old 06-14-2019, 11:40 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Quote:

Dang, is your co-worker foreign-born? As far as us being a decent nation, I would say that term works if we didn't have such atrocities from whoever in all of our history. Sure, it was mostly White men in power approving the atrocities, but were not the only ones.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:41 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
Troll thread is a troll thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies