Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 11:44 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Troll thread is a troll thread.
How is this a troll thread,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 11:44 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Im going to make a whole lot of loosely based opinions, more like anecdotal observations, just saying.

I myself would never make it into the conservative club because I have a string of beliefs that kick me out of that club, I say this to add some context to my points.

I have a co-worker that just dumps on America every single chance he gets, I mean it's just obvious he dislikes American culture. That is fine, I suppose, we all can have our views, lol, it's America after all.

He is a far leftist in his views, he ticks all the boxes for that type and he doesn't deny it. He always turns every conversation into how America sucks rant, whatever. While I'm not a guy who thinks we do no wrong, I can and appreciate the good and see the bad America has done.

What I don't get is is that it seems like the people on the left just see only the bad. It seems like America is always always the bad guy in every situation. I have to work with this guy and I just wanna say pick up a history book and get a bigger picture understanding of our history. Yeah, we've made mistakes but god damn, we're not that bad.

What is it with some types that just wanna **** on America and not acknowledge that we are decent nation.
I think you've posted about him before. Was he born here, or is he from elsewhere? This sounds very familiar. Let's see, it's coming back to me now. You can't tune him out, because you two share a truck when you're going out to work locations, and you work together.

And IIRC, he's a legal immigrant. It sounds like he came from someplace with radical political parties. Makes me wonder why he came here in the first place.

That's really too bad, that you're trapped working with him. You must be climbing the walls by now.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-14-2019 at 11:53 PM..

Old 06-14-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think you've posted about him before. Was he born here, or is he from elsewhere? This sounds very familiar.
Probably, how about you you put up an opinion, you seem to be pretty opinion free from what I can recall.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Probably, how about you you put up an opinion, you seem to be pretty opinion free from what I can recall.
Well, I'm waiting for a little more info about him. Where's he from originally?

I'm inclined to say, I know his type. They hate America, but they'll risk their lives to come here, where they can at least eak out a half-way decent living.

How'm I doing so far?

Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why toot your own horn? What’s the point? Should he tell you how great we are? Do you want to be told things that you already know or believe? That ain’t very interesting.

Sure, this country is decent, but it has the capacity and ability to be far better. Many people see a very serious deterioration in living standards, governance, culture, and infrastructure. They see fellow Americans going bankrupt over health care costs. They watch American corporatists move their friend’s, family’s and neighbor’s jobs out of the country. They also see an apathetic majority of Americans that have no interest in fixing anything, yet, all they seem to care about is me, me, me. Gimme my tax cut! Nevermind that we’re running a 20 trillion dollar debt.

This country has pyssed away 6 trillion dollars on foreign entanglements that have born absolutely NO fruit while our sclerotic, dysfunctional government can’t even find the money to fix infrastructure or come up with a compromise on health care.

Folks see rampant drug addiction...the United makes up 4% of the world’s population, and 30% of the world’s opioid users. We lead the first world in incarceration rates. The education system is a bloated mess. Mass shootings are now routine. Corporate avarice in the United States is the worst of any country on Earth.

Yeah, sure...it’s still a good country, but we’re in serious trouble if we don’t get it together. Hell, we’re in trouble now. This isn’t the time for blind flag waving. The damn wheels are coming off, and it’s high time that we either rally to fix this mess or just throw in the towel. Something’s gotta give here.
And this poster's no hater. This is what patriotism looks like! He doesn't want to see his country go down the drain. He want's to be proud of his country, and see people in it prosper, but that's hard to do right now. The right thing to do is to call attention to destructive trends and what needs fixing, and organize to do something about it. This is very much in the spirit of that great icon of American industry, Lee Iacocca, who said basically the same thing as is bolded here, in his book, "Where Have All The Leaders Gone?". Written during the G.W.Bush era, but still very relevant today, if not more so than ever.

desertdetroiter, get a copy of Iacocca's book. He was all fired up when he wrote it, and he's hopping mad, and funny as all get-out, too. It's a very enjoyable read. It's available for cheap on Amazon. I think you'll really like it.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
And this poster's no hater. This is what patriotism looks like! He doesn't want to see his country go down the drain. He want's to be proud of his country, and see people in it prosper, but that's hard to do right now. The right thing to do is to call attention to destructive trends and what needs fixing, and organize to do something about it. This is very much in the spirit of that great icon of American industry, Lee Iacocca, who said basically the same thing as is bolded here, in his book, "Where Have All The Leaders Gone?". Written during the G.W.Bush era, but still very relevant today, if not more so than ever.

desertdetroiter, get a copy of Iacocca's book. He was all fired up when he wrote it, and he's hopping mad, and funny as all get-out, too. It's a very enjoyable read. It's available for cheap on Amazon. I think you'll really like it.
Good post RFT.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:16 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Everyone is “doing just fine” on CD. Hell, I’m gonna even say that you’re a bazillionaire.

“And yet millions are trying to come here.” Lol.. so what? How is that relevant? That’s like you’re starving, and have no food and no way to get any food, and I offer you you a 3 course meal featuring all foods that you hate. You’ll eat it no matter how much you don’t like it.

If people wanting to come here makes you feel better, then have at it.
I am not wasting much more time on your buffoonishness. Even a child can understand that they come here from every corner of the world because America, the country that you want to "throw in the towel" on, is better and provides more opportunity than where they are coming from.

You can roll you eyes all you want, but the joke is on you. You are the loser, and I don't mean that as an ad hominem, I mean that as an apparent fact. You don't get that when people on here say they are doing fine, it is because they are. You could be sharing in that prosperity, but aren't, because of your poor attitude, and only because of your poor attitude.

Good luck to you. I end where I began: you should leave. You should find a better place and be happy there rather than being a miserable sad sack here.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:43 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
What is it with some types that just wanna **** on America and not acknowledge that we are decent nation.
I was always one who argued that, no matter how good we might be, we have a lot of flaws. I got pushback on that a lot. I still say that, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Americans as individuals are a wonderfully hardworking and industrious lot. But the few people who actually run the country generally suck.
Unlike wealthy, powerful people of other countries, or in any position, right?

Quote:
“And yet millions are trying to come here.” Lol.. so what? How is that relevant? That’s like you’re starving, and have no food and no way to get any food, and I offer you you a 3 course meal featuring all foods that you hate. You’ll eat it no matter how much you don’t like it.

If people wanting to come here makes you feel better, then have at it.
You're hilarious. You're making the OP's point. ??? Everything else is worse, so you settle for the least worst, America. If America is such an a-hole for feeding you, go back to the other, better places and starve. Makes no sense at all.

Quote:
I'm inclined to say, I know his type. They hate America, but they'll risk their lives to come here, where they can at least eak out a half-way decent living.
I'm telling you, it's mind-boggling. People who come here tell us how despicable we are. The person the OP is talking about came here from another country. He has a great job, making VERY decent money. He's married, is into expensive cars, and has a nice one, but runs America down daily. Why is he here? Why is he not in his original country? It's perplexing.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I am not wasting much more time on your buffoonishness. Even a child can understand that they come here from every corner of the world because America, the country that you want to "throw in the towel" on, is better and provides more opportunity than where they are coming from.

You can roll you eyes all you want, but the joke is on you. You are the loser, and I don't mean that as an ad hominem, I mean that as an apparent fact. You don't get that when people on here say they are doing fine, it is because they are. You could be sharing in that prosperity, but aren't, because of your poor attitude, and only because of your poor attitude.

Good luck to you. I end where I began: you should leave. You should find a better place and be happy there rather than being a miserable sad sack here.
You already made your point about how great you’re doing. No need to belabor the issue. Doesn’t make it anymore credible.

Again, just because people want to come here doesn’t prove your point. Doesn’t prove the OP’s either. There are dozens of nations all over the world that people apply to immigrate to. Big deal. That’s nothing to brag about. Hell, Malta or Zambia can make that claim. Big whoop.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:04 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Your coworker is just a whiny- B. Lol

People here who ***** how bad America is have no clue how blessed they are.

Sorry chow you work with someone with TDS. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies