Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 11:16 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Yes, troops can get married without permission. Which is very often not a good thing. I sure wish our commander could have said, "No" in the Philippines. All he could do was drag out the paperwork long enough for a lust-smitten troop to get a clue.
lol

My uncle has a friend who just found out he became a grandpa. The dude got one woman in the Philipines pregnant when he was 18 years old serving in the military and now the son he never met post on the facebook that his wife gave birth to a child.

This friend chose not to marry the woman. Not good in my opinion. This guy said that his commander told him that it wasn't a good idea to marry the woman. It is not an order, but he certainly followed the advice. Good for him, perhaps, but not fair to the woman in the Philipines. WTH?

I mean, seriously, the lady was 20 years old when she was pregnant. According to this friend of my uncle's, she wasn't a bar girl, she was a virgin when she met him. (I guess she couldn't resist the tall and handsome and young American soldier) She got pregnant, and had to deal with this her entire life. He's a deadbeat in my eyes. He never even gave her any types of financial help. Disgusting !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 11:54 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
lol

My uncle has a friend who just found out he became a grandpa. The dude got one woman in the Philipines pregnant when he was 18 years old serving in the military and now the son he never met post on the facebook that his wife gave birth to a child.

This friend chose not to marry the woman. Not good in my opinion. This guy said that his commander told him that it wasn't a good idea to marry the woman. It is not an order, but he certainly followed the advice. Good for him, perhaps, but not fair to the woman in the Philipines. WTH?

I mean, seriously, the lady was 20 years old when she was pregnant. According to this friend of my uncle's, she wasn't a bar girl, she was a virgin when she met him. (I guess she couldn't resist the tall and handsome and young American soldier) She got pregnant, and had to deal with this her entire life. He's a deadbeat in my eyes. He never even gave her any types of financial help. Disgusting !!
Well, the next part of that equation--for more than one reason--was: Condoms.

The base clinic briefed us that they saw 250 new cases of venereal disease every month. They published a monthly "hot sheet" of the results of their monthly tests of the clubs that listed each bar around the base (more than 50, many no more than holes in the wall), the number of girls working in each bar, and the percentage that tested positive.

The biggest bars, like the Nipa Hut, might have 50 to 75 girls. One of the smallest had two girls and tested 50% positive...flip a coin, I guess.

The odd thing was that the health briefing was schedule about a week after we got in country. Hell, it should have been the in-flight movie.

So...condoms. And anyone not using a condom was an idiot in multiple ways. Our squadron actually kept a punch bowl full of condoms on the operations counter.

The primary interest of the bargirls was to marry a GI. Their intent was honest--they came from desperately poor conditions. When a GI paid the "bar fine" (typically about $20-30) to the proprietor to allow her the "rest of the night off," she had the night to do whatever was necessary to get the guy to fall in love with her.

On my first day there, we had arrived in an Australian 747 "Flying Tiger" on a Wednesday at 1000 hrs. They told us to report to the Rec Center the next day at 0900 for mass in-processing.

So there I was, sitting at a table at 0900. There was a young Airman Basic also at my table--slick sleeve, some specialty that didn't require a tech school after basic, so he was maybe two months out of high school.

The first question he had was, "What do I have to do to get married?"

He'd met a girl the night before, and she'd opened his nose wide enough to fly that 747 through. I looked at my watch. We'd only been in-country 23 hours. Must have been the first girl in the first bar.

But the Philippines was different from other Far East places I'd been in that it was also very easy for American GIs to meet and date "good girls"--the girls working in the various shops around the base or girls going to college and such.

That was more difficult to do in Japan or South Korea, but Filipino families were more open to the idea of an American son-in-law. However, in most of the cases I knew, all dates were chaperoned--the father didn't mind a GI dating his daughter, but auntie was definitely riding shotgun on all dates.

It would not have set well with me for one of my troops to have gotten a girl pregnant, but I'd have been on the fence about it. I'd possibly have followed the lead of one of my previous commanders in a similar situation: "If you want a career in this Air Force, you'd better start shopping for a ring." I wouldn't have liked it, though.

We had a butterbar who fell in love with a bar girl. As he proceeded through the paperwork, every time they got to the next step, she revealed to him her "real" name.

At about the third "real" name, I said to him in private, "Umm, lieutenant....lieutenant....it's very possible this woman has a child living with her parents. She didn't tell you her real name up front because she doesn't know how closely the military is going to check her background."

Old 06-13-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:

The base clinic briefed us that they saw 250 new cases of venereal disease every month. They published a monthly "hot sheet" of the results of their monthly tests of the clubs that listed each bar around the base (more than 50, many no more than holes in the wall), the number of girls working in each bar, and the percentage that tested positive.

The biggest bars, like the Nipa Hut, might have 50 to 75 girls. One of the smallest had two girls and tested 50% positive...flip a coin, I guess.

So...condoms. And anyone not using a condom was an idiot in multiple ways. Our squadron actually kept a punch bowl full of condoms on the operations counter.

The primary interest of the bargirls was to marry a GI. Their intent was honest--they came from desperately poor conditions. When a GI paid the "bar fine" (typically about $20-30) to the proprietor to allow her the "rest of the night off," she had the night to do whatever was necessary to get the guy to fall in love with her.

On my first day there, we had arrived in an Australian 747 "Flying Tiger" on a Wednesday at 1000 hrs. They told us to report to the Rec Center the next day at 0900 for mass in-processing.

So there I was, sitting at a table at 0900. There was a young Airman Basic also at my table--slick sleeve, some specialty that didn't require a tech school after basic, so he was maybe two months out of high school.

He'd met a girl the night before, and she'd opened his nose wide enough to fly that 747 through. I looked at my watch. We'd only been in-country 23 hours. Must have been the first girl in the first bar.

But the Philippines was different from other Far East places I'd been in that it was also very easy for American GIs to meet and date "good girls"--the girls working in the various shops around the base or girls going to college and such.

That was more difficult to do in Japan or South Korea, but Filipino families were more open to the idea of an American son-in-law. However, in most of the cases I knew, all dates were chaperoned--the father didn't mind a GI dating his daughter, but auntie was definitely riding shotgun on all dates.

It would not have set well with me for one of my troops to have gotten a girl pregnant, but I'd have been on the fence about it. I'd possibly have followed the lead of one of my previous commanders in a similar situation: "If you want a career in this Air Force, you'd better start shopping for a ring." I wouldn't have liked it, though.
yeah true.

I remember my mom told my brother, "remember if the Marine corps wanted you to have a wife, they'd issue you one already." lol Lucky for us, he is a very picky person. =) lol

As for me, I have a thing for the Marines, well, the very handsome and the very smart ones, not the ones who have no self control. =) Ive dated doctors, lawyers, engineers, but my heart belongs to the Marines. It is what it is.

I still don't like the idea that the soldiers can leave the foreign women and children behind. There should be some kind of regulations. I really feel sorry for the woman, can you imagine raising a mixed child on your own with no financial help from the father? Terrible.

My uncle's friend's current wife is 45 years old, but she looks 30. The Pinay is perhaps the same age, but she looks much older. (well, based on the facebook photos at least.) Not a good life in my opinion.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-13-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:

We had a butterbar who fell in love with a bar girl. As he proceeded through the paperwork, every time they got to the next step, she revealed to him her "real" name.

At about the third "real" name, I said to him in private, "Umm, lieutenant....lieutenant....it's very possible this woman has a child living with her parents. She didn't tell you her real name up front because she doesn't know how closely the military is going to check her background."
This is so funny. lol

Old 06-13-2019, 12:46 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:

The odd thing was that the health briefing was schedule about a week after we got in country. Hell, it should have been the in-flight movie.

Getting a woman pregnant that quickly, that is just like "wow". Theoretically and biologically, it's possible for a man to impregnate a woman on the first try. It happens all the time. But with a woman he just met? Maybe it's my old school upbringing. I was taught by my father that it's better to wait until marriage to have sex. If I couldn't wait, use a condom. I've never had sex in my life (I'm still unmarried at age 33).

I've never been overseas, or in the military. "Bar girls" are a new concept to me. Going to places like Tilted Kilt isn't new to me. One thing watching the Maury Show has taught me is to be careful.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Getting a woman pregnant that quickly, that is just like "wow". Theoretically and biologically, it's possible for a man to impregnate a woman on the first try. It happens all the time. But with a woman he just met? Maybe it's my old school upbringing. I was taught by my father that it's better to wait until marriage to have sex. If I couldn't wait, use a condom. I've never had sex in my life (I'm still unmarried at age 33).

I've never been overseas, or in the military. "Bar girls" are a new concept to me. Going to places like Tilted Kilt isn't new to me. One thing watching the Maury Show has taught me is to be careful.
My brother has never been to the Philippines, (He has been to ME, some African countries, and south American countries, and several European countries when he was in the Marine Corps - short operations ) so he doesn't know anything about the bar girl culture either.

We came from a very conservative family as well. Sleeping around is never acceptable in my family. Plus, I grew up with the Marines and I heard a LOT OF awful things they have said about the women who "slept with the platoon". Men usually don't respect women who sleep around. So your father is right. I've dated five Marines and I made sure that their CO and fellow Marines were okay with it. If the women could not be faithful or could not be accepted by the entire group of Marines (especially my Marines belong to an elite group), in my opinion, the women have no business dating them. You cannot be a drama queen who is also a sl*t. Sorry, but it is what it is. Most of the Marines I personally know have very clear career goals. Military service then college education, then family life. The ones married young pretty much all have pretty messed up life in my opinion.

I think it takes a very special man to be in the service. The military should NEVER lower the standard. They should get the best of the best, not the lowest of the low. Back on topic, the ex marine in the article should have never been in the Marine Corps in the first place. What a stupid person!

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-13-2019 at 01:08 PM..

Old 06-15-2019, 10:04 AM

26 posts, read 11,954 times
Pretty sad day for all the genuine patriots who gave their all on D-Day, believing Justice for All meant just that, for All.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies