Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 02:21 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
Please show me where abortion is referenced in the Constitution.
Please show me where spaceflight (i.e. NASA) is referenced as a federal responsibility in the US Constitution. Please show me where telecommunications (i.e. the FCC) is referenced as a federal responsibility in the US Constitution. Please show me where the federal government can regulate drugs under the US Constitution (i.e. the FDA).

There is no way that the drafters of the US Constitution could have anticipated these things; and so, they didn't include them in the document. What they did do was to set up a mechanism where future developments that might deal with unanticipated advances in science and social and legal constitutional affairs could be decided--the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS).

In my researches into American constitutional law, I have found that very few jurists and legal researchers pay much mind to the Scalian "Four Corners" doctrine. How do you anticipate something that didn't exist (or, in the case of abortion, something that was driven deep underground) in 1787? You cannot.

And yet somehow, spaceflight is federal, telecommunications is federal, and prescription drugs and remedies are federal. None of which are mentioned in the US Constitution. The Roe v. Wade matter was not anticipated by the drafters of the US Constitution, but the SCOTUS made it apply to all states and their municipalities. As such, this town will fail in its efforts to ban abortion. The only thing that will overturn Roe is another SCOTUS decision overturning Roe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 02:34 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
From the news story - "In the city, known as "The Gateway of Texas," Dickson said city officials would not make it a destination for abortion ..."

Must be more people traveling to Waskom than we know.
Right? LOL. Never heard of the place. They're on the map now. All of you nasty women seeking abortions can write Waskom, TX right off your list. They ain't having it.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:37 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
1) Its a city with no abortion clinics
2) All 5 voting for the ordinance are fat old men.

Just kind of funny

Old 06-13-2019, 07:31 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
1) Its a city with no abortion clinics
2) All 5 voting for the ordinance are fat old men.

Just kind of funny
Just an attempt to make themselves relevant. Which they’re not and never will be.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:32 AM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Just an attempt to make themselves relevant. Which they’re not and never will be.
Sounds like a ploy to increase tourism to Wascom, now we know they are the gateway to Texas.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Sounds like a ploy to increase tourism to Wascom, now we know they are the gateway to Texas.
LOL. I’m sure people all over America are now planning their vacation to Wascom TX. It is an “up and coming” place with a population of 2,189 in 2018, up from 2,160 residents in 2010.

29 more people in 8 years, where will they all live?!?

Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
You've identified yourself as a male, and you are hostile to abortion. If either you or one of your children get a woman pregnant don't take away their options or you or yours could be paying child support for a long time. Don't you dare say you are holier than me because at 3AM when the beer goggles are on they all look good. Take a woman's options off of the table you just might meet Glen Close in her craziest role

On another level, your republican masters just love another million desperate mouths to feed while the rich drink Grand Marnier and you drink Bud
I prefer Bud.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:55 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What exactly would they challenge, the city doesn't have an abortion clinic, doesn't have any clinic, doesn't have a hospital but they do have a catholic medical center. I don't think that group of Mensas thought this out, they are banning something that doesn't happen in their city.

They don't have a foster care home either, where are they going to house these children,
Quote:
Dickson added that in the past an abortion clinic was looking to move to Waskom, which would have served a 200-mile radius, making it an abortion destination.
Apparently some liberals were targeting the little town as "the" place to go for an abortion for people from other little towns. Lefties like to target and poison small conservative areas, or small conservative businesses, just because. So this ordinance may be symbolic but there is a reason it came to their consciousness.

How about live and let live, if you don't like the climate of an area, don't go there. Lefties just want to hurt and punish people who don't think like they do.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Abortion is still the law of the land.
So was slavery.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:03 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
What does a position on abortion have to do with a love of country?
You have to understand the mindset of these right wing crazies in Texas. The heat does something to their mental capacities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies