Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 06:47 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,703,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Easy solution. Since women are superior to men, there should be no gender specific teams in sports. Women would have to qualify for the team against men. No prizes for predicting how that's going to turn out.
My daughter was the only girl on an "all boys team" becuase they wanted her ,seems you're not a soccer person.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:49 PM

57,424 posts, read 26,319,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I think it's awesome that they win so much, yay USA. However, that's not the problem, they have to bring in the money. Do you not understand that?
Did you read the article, they do bring in more revenue that is entirely the point.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Did you read the article, they do bring in more revenue that is entirely the point.
They represent 100 X more than the Men do.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:57 PM

662 posts, read 314,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Here again the demand for equal pay? Do they draw the same crowds? Draw the endorsements? Draw the sponsors?

I would bet that the Average US citizen can name at least 10 NBA stars from past and present. I doubt those same folks could name 3 WNBA stars.
There is Leslie....
Ok, I can only come up with part of the name of 1 WNBA player

You could wake me up from a drunken stupor and I could rattle off at least 15-20 NBA players.

This is interesting because there seems to be a bit of confusion. Some think the women should get paid more like the men because they are on the field kicking the ball, just like the men. Except the reality of professional sports is the game itself has to earn revenue from tickets, merchandise, sponsorships, advertisements, tv contracts, etc.
So the womens' job isn't just play the same sport. Their play(work) must result in equal revenue from the revenue streams the sport relies on.

Unless that happens, Leslie has no justification to earn as much as Lebron.

Have any of the people calling for equal pay for women's soccer ever been exposed to how salespeople are paid? You essentially have the same job as others, but you are paid based on how much revenue you generate. The revenue you generate is a measure of the value of your work and you are paid accordingly.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
There is Leslie....
Ok, I can only come up with part of the name of 1 WNBA player

You could wake me up from a drunken stupor and I could rattle off at least 15-20 NBA players.

This is interesting because there seems to be a bit of confusion. Some think the women should get paid more like the men because they are on the field kicking the ball, just like the men. Except the reality of professional sports is the game itself has to earn revenue from tickets, merchandise, sponsorships, advertisements, tv contracts, etc.
So the womens' job isn't just play the same sport. Their play(work) must result in equal revenue from the revenue streams the sport relies on.

Unless that happens, Leslie has no justification to earn as much as Lebron.

Have any of the people calling for equal pay for women's soccer ever been exposed to how salespeople are paid? You essentially have the same job as others, but you are paid based on how much revenue you generate. The revenue you generate is a measure of the value of your work and you are paid accordingly.
Anyone who is trying to equate a professional athlete and a salesperson does not understand the discussion.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:19 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,896,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Anyone who is trying to equate a professional athlete and a salesperson does not understand the discussion.
Revenue they generate is an absolutely accurate statement. It isn't a charity. We pay you more because it feels good.

The word is professional.

What drives a professional athlete's pay? Meaning it isn't charity.

Lets discuss football. What determines an NFL Quarterback's pay?

1. Ability
2. Stats
3. marketability. Do the fans like him? Name recognition.
4. Does he win the big games, the clutch games?
5. Over all team stats.

The female athletes in question maybe awesome players. Giants on the field within their own league.
Are their names recognized by non fans? By people who follow other teams? By people who aren't even fans of the sport? If not, then that explains a pay difference.

Example between 1993 to 2000. I guarantee you everyone heard of Troy Aikmen, Steve Young, Dan Marino, John Elway, Jim Kelly.. Not just Football fans and not just fans of their respective teams.

The same is true of basketball players. I would bet that the average US citizen can name 10 NBA stars past and present, but can't name even 3 WNBA stars .

As I said earlier I enjoy watching soccer but never tune into watch the women. I mean other than Olympic Games. The big name draw isn't there. The draw for favorite team or most hated team isn't there.

Hardcore European soccer fans where I live don't even tune in. It's kind of like women's hockey. It's fun to watch during the Olympics but other than that, not even an after thought.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:34 PM

26,571 posts, read 15,140,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The women brought in more event revenue for a highly selective time period and ignored other larger revenue from things like TV deals.

Be honest.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:24 PM

57,424 posts, read 26,319,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The women brought in more event revenue for a highly selective time period and ignored other larger revenue from things like TV deals.

Be honest.
They brought in over $17M more than the men’s team in 2016 the year they lost in the olympics, do you think that and subsequent years were an aberration, they never came close to or exceeded the men’s team. Do you have any statistics that indicate otherwise, they were enormously successful for decades.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,089,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

Be honest.
The actual argument the Op is making is that the men should take a pay-cut for their poor performance, as their bringing in very little money especially when they missed qualifying for the World Cup. The U.S Men's Team would make significantly more money if they had qualified. The only problem with the paycut is that these players if the coaches are out should be recycled for young blood and be out of the National Team. The U.S has the 2nd or Third easiest continent to qualify, and we blew it completely yet the coach still tries to play the same players who struggled against Caribbean Nations with less soccer players than the city of Houston let alone the entirety of the U.S.

I actually think that the U.S Women's got bad publicity when they lost to the U-13, U-14 Dallas team. Many people don't know this but because my younger brother plays academy level soccer where you travel across the nation in Houston and share's a bracket with Dallas, but that Dallas program and the team is easily a top 10 worldwide and beat out European academies of similar ages at tournaments. So we are talking about (exaggeration here) a team of Mini-Messi's. Women are going to be of similar athletic level to the 13 and 14 year olds, (probably why they play them in the same place), but it isn't like their playing the best that Dallas has to offer, some of these kids are discovered in small border towns in Texas or as far away as Alabama or California in a few cases I personally know, and their so athletically or technically gifted that it is almost a given they will be pro in Europe in a few years. Now imagine playing Messi but with the physique or athleticism of a 13 year old, he's certainly "nerfed" but he can still dribble circles around 99.99% of adults who play soccer. This team just because of lack of physicality and athleticism and are still going to lose to professional adult teams, but if your playing a team that doesn't have that athletic edge, their finishing, touches and dribbling is almost the same as a professional and so technically the difference isn't massive at all. Hence the women's team routinely get spanked by them.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:12 PM

12,406 posts, read 8,189,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The actual argument the Op is making is that the men should take a pay-cut for their poor performance, as their bringing in very little money especially when they missed qualifying for the World Cup. The U.S Men's Team would make significantly more money if they had qualified. The only problem with the paycut is that these players if the coaches are out should be recycled for young blood and be out of the National Team. The U.S has the 2nd or Third easiest continent to qualify, and we blew it completely yet the coach still tries to play the same players who struggled against Caribbean Nations with less soccer players than the city of Houston let alone the entirety of the U.S.

Simply the best male professional athletes in America are lured by other sports for which there is no female equivalent to lure away that gender's absolute best. A cut in pay means we step down a level from the leftover athletes participating in a locally minor sport.

And then the US Men's team can lose 13-0 to multiple nations and watch how the rest of the world celebrates scoring on an over matched opponent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies