Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 07:05 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The discussion is about the future not the past" HUH?

"rep·a·ra·tion
/ˌrepəˈrāSH(ə)n/ Learn to pronounce

noun

"the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged."

IF it was for the FUTURE the word reparations would NOT be used.

And the left call US the UN-educated!

We don't have words to explain how to fix the future of people who are burdened by the past. Perhaps we could erect slave monuments and call it a day. IMO as I have posted, the word "reparations" is a farce.
Spare me the etymology tutorial. Sometimes I forget how some conservatives are burden by the limitations of concrete thinking.The discussion is about something that will manifest itself in the future of Black Americans.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 06-22-2019 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 07:11 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
My statement was simply that I have no issue with it. If you aren’t white, not sure why white guilt would be mentioned. I am not white either, btw. Guilt has little to do with it to me.
So let me get this straight.

You are a first generation immigrant who is not a white person. Your parents immigrated to US in the 1970s and have achieved the American Dream in short amount of time.

Yet, you are here advocating reparations (which is essentially a free handout) to AA who have been in the US for generations.

Am I close?

Old 06-22-2019, 07:14 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
yup!

A committee of black representatives should sue the DNC for reparations. Get to the source of the problem. They were the political party that endorsed, slavery, Jim Crow and other racially discriminatory policies and laws.

The GOP's hands are clean on this.
Endorsed is an understatement.

1. Democrats fight for slavery.
2. Democrats sent hundreds of thousands to their death to protect the slavery status.
3. Democrats invented and popularized KKK to a point where one couldn’t progress in the Democratic Party without being a clansman.
4. Every Jim Crow law was passed by the Democrats and signed into law by a democrat governor.

Why should anybody else pay the reparations?

Old 06-22-2019, 07:21 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,601,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
My statement was simply that I have no issue with it. If you aren’t white, not sure why white guilt would be mentioned. I am not white either, btw. Guilt has little to do with it to me.
Instead of free handouts to AA, Maybe you should ask your non-white immigrant parents to give free seminar to AA communities on how to be successful despite being a none native speaker and non-white person.

Win-win

Old 06-22-2019, 07:24 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Default Only the Democrats Must Pay the Slavery Reparations

1. Both Northern and Southern Democrats fight for slavery politically.
2. Democrats sent hundreds of thousands to their death to protect their slavery status.
3. Democrats invented and popularized KKK to a point where one couldn’t progress in the Democratic Party without being a clansman.
4. Every Jim Crow law was passed by the Democrats and signed into law by a democrat governor.
5. Democrats never repented, acknowledged or admitted this.
6. No Republican owned slaves in the years of the civil war. All 3 million slaves were owned by the Democrats.

Why should anybody else pay the reparations?

Old 06-22-2019, 07:31 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
So let me get this straight.

You are a first generation immigrant who is not a white person. Your parents immigrated to US in the 1970s and have achieved the American Dream in short amount of time.

Yet, you are here advocating reparations (which is essentially a free handout) to AA who have been in the US for generations.

Am I close?
No.

I am the first generation born in the U.S., not an immigrant.

I have no issue with an ethnic group who labored under extreme abuse for hundreds of years without compensation and then suffered under Jim Crow (segregation, beatings, rapes etc) receiving some sort of reparations for hundreds years of brutality.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:32 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,186,114 times
Well, the are many Dems flipped to Repubs flipped back to Dems flipped back to Repubs. People follow trends even in politics. Everyone's main concern is their own survival and how to get the best out of it with what brains and/or brawn they do or don't have. If there were never any slaves in America, it would not have come to this.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Instead of free handouts to AA, Maybe you should ask your non-white immigrant parents to give free seminar to AA communities on how to be successful despite being a none native speaker and non-white person.

Win-win
Free handouts? AAs wouldn’t be getting anything free because their people worked for generations without compensation and under extreme brutality. You should be grateful for their hard work because neither of us would be enjoying the lives we have in the U.S. without them. Neither of us were wanted here.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:36 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
I agree and I would go as far to say that anyone that immigrated to the country after the slaves were freed should not be forced to pay either.

We need to do a family tree on every single person in the country to see when they arrived in America, where their ancestors lived to narrow down the families and the individuals that actually owned slaves. Then if it is found that there are still families whose ancestors owned slaves a means test needs to be applied to them. If their finances consist of a few hundred bucks in the bank, a broken down trailer and an old pickup truck how much money should be grabbed from them and handed to descendants of the slaves their family owned?

Now some of the founders of big universities such as Yale once owned slaves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elihu_Yale Perhaps reparations could be returned in the form of free tuition to that college for anyone that is a descendant of slaves? Somehow I don't think Yale would agree to that.

Reparations. What would they really do except to unload a bit of shame from those that carry the "white guilt" ?

Old 06-22-2019, 07:37 AM

The blame game again. If it is mandated, we will all pay. *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Well, the are many Dems flipped to Repubs flipped back to Dems flipped back to Repubs. People follow trends even in politics. Everyone's main concern is their own survival and how to get the best out of it with what brains and/or brawn they do or don't have. If there were never any slaves in America, it would not have come to this.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies