Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 06:09 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

The quakes were powerful but in a remote area. Minimal damage. No feed for federal intervention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 06:19 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
There should be (and probably are) established guidelines for Federal disaster relief. These should be followed.

As for the quake, yeah I remember them blaming the fires on global warming....the first thought was "how is that an excuse then?" after all they've been talking about it for decades so if CA didn't change their fire prevention protocols etc. then that's back on them if they KNEW things were getting worse.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:49 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Do the right thing. Don't act like them.
I remember GOP members talking the NE down for hurricane Sandy relief. Looks like some are looking to repeat but for CA.

Disaster will hit a GOP state.

Neither time is a time for such partisan stupidity.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What cracks me up is that the right wingers don't want to help arguably the most right wing town in the entire state of California.
You need a course in reading comprehension. Nobody said they didn't wan't to help California. What they did say is that the state should be held accountable for how the money was spent.

In typical leftist liberal fashion you have managed to garble what people say into something you want to hear, just for the sake of getting your two cents in.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:18 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
So your position is that any American who lives in a state whose politics you disagree with should be denied aid by their own government and made to suffer? Or don't you consider people who live in blue states "real Americans"?
My position is that I'm tired of California ignoring immigration laws. Understand?

Old 07-08-2019, 10:19 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There should be (and probably are) established guidelines for Federal disaster relief. These should be followed.

As for the quake, yeah I remember them blaming the fires on global warming....the first thought was "how is that an excuse then?" after all they've been talking about it for decades so if CA didn't change their fire prevention protocols etc. then that's back on them if they KNEW things were getting worse.

Again.... a lot of those fires were Federal land.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-08-2019, 10:20 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
My position is that I'm tired of California ignoring immigration laws. Understand?

Yes, and there are threads discussing that. This is not one of them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-08-2019, 10:40 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
You need a course in reading comprehension. Nobody said they didn't wan't to help California.
Ahem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Screw em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No. They got a lot of labor lying around on the street sucking down welfare. Use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If CA has the cash to provide taxpayer funded health care to illegals, if they have the cash to sue the Federal government at least once a week, and if they have the cash to buy the most expensive energy in the nation....they can afford to take care of this themselves. We're always told that CA is the 5th largest economy in the world-and that CA provides more to the federal government than it takes in, right? The damage is isolated to a relatively small area and fairly minor.

Now-perhaps we could re-allocate the $4.5 billion that was just authorized to provide handouts to foreigners on American soil, many illegally, to help with the recovery and actually use American tax dollars to help Americans.

What politician was it that said that Guam was going to capsize because of the US military being there? Well, perhaps CA is sinking into the Pacific with all the illegals...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Answer: NO

Not until they start cooperating on immigration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Only FEDERAL property should get relief funds. The rest is the responsibility of the people of California and their insurance companies. They got a budget surplus. Now they have something to spend it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The governor is begging for federal money"

Tell them NO! Ca problem, let THEM fix it.

Not surprised though that when Trump wants help with illegals the dems declare "sanctuary city" and tell the police to NOT assist ICE, BUT NOW when they are in big trouble and want fed money to bail them out.

If fact no just no but HELL NO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"So the next time Texas or Florida have a hurricane, should we say screw 'em?"

When and IF they act like ca, yes screw them. UNTIL then ...

"He's that kind of a petty tyrant." Ignorance and bias noted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
One trailer house fell off it's foundation. Federal funds? Nope. I have home owners insurance if my crappy chimney collapses.

Unless you live out in the desert you didn't even feel it. Nothing like the Easter quake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The quakes were powerful but in a remote area. Minimal damage. No feed for federal intervention.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:40 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
You need a course in reading comprehension. Nobody said they didn't wan't to help California. What they did say is that the state should be held accountable for how the money was spent.

In typical leftist liberal fashion you have managed to garble what people say into something you want to hear, just for the sake of getting your two cents in.
Oh, there were definitely people not wanting to help period, unless comments like "Screw 'em" with no further clarification have a different meaning that I haven't heard.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:57 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,704 times
I was casually leaning back in my zero gravity chair camping in the Yosemite Valley for this earthquake. It was a long shaker even on the other side of the Sierras from Ridgecrest. We took the Tioga Pass to the 395 south so we came thru Ridgecrest yesterday. We didn't stop, but traffic was flowing ok. I heard Naval Station China Lake was inop for a time though.

My guess is that there is a pretty established system for requesting Federal funds in ANY natural disaster ANYWHERE in the country. Folks are being overly political bagging on CA for opening what is a routine practice IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies