Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do AOC and Omar help dem 2020 election chances?
Yes- we love them- they will help 26 16.77%
No- they will turn independents away 110 70.97%
Don't know 19 12.26%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 06:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
With a 13% turnout, it's easy for an extremist to win.
How do you figure? If 51% of those who voted had pulled for the other guy, then he would have won. Turnout is always low in primaries and typically works against low-funded newcomers like AOC.

Learn how the system works.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-18-2019 at 06:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 06:42 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry, but the majority of America has rejected unions.

It's only government employee unions and those made of people in unskilled jobs keeping unions barely relevant.

Middle class America has rejected them.
You're right the ruling class has largely won the war against the working class. The vicious class war on labor unions starting from the late 70s onwards has been a huge success, and 40 years of wage stagnation and social despair for the working class has been the predictable and designed outcome. The ruling class wont give up without a fight, after all, power is taken, not given out of charity.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:34 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
No, the majority of Americans doesn’t like AOC, but the voters in her district did.

The majority of Americans don’t like Donald Trump and the majority of voters didn’t vote for Donald Trump.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
I think they like AOC.
I don't think they like Omar though.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:43 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
I consider myself liberal, but they seem to pick fights with people when they don't get their way. It's getting annoying when anyone doesn't agree with them, someone is "racist, sexist, hate women", etc.

I also DESPISED AOC's "We don't wanna hear you from the cheap seats, WE'RE IN CHARGE NOW" tweets. Made her just seem like an ahole.

But I'm not a fan of the way they all act. They all act entitled and they're focusing way too much on things that don't concern their districts, like the border control issues. And they're NOT concentration camps....those parents are CHOOSING to illegally cross the border and come over here instead of just simply doing it the legal way. I can't just cross the Canadian border and bring my family over if something were to happen in the US, so why are they acting differently there?

They are focusing more on that than people in their own country.

I honestly think AOC and her squad are going to cripple the left, they are going too far with their thinking and it doesn't align with what normal folks want.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:21 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So what makes you a moderate?

Do you support the current system of the worst labor rights in the industrialized world and being the only country without a national health care system? If so, how is that moderate? Who do you usually vote for? And who are their major big money donors who they serve?
As I have said on many posts on this subject, a moderate is someone who supports neither the extreme left OR the extreme right. As far as my voting record, I voted for the Democrat POTUS candidate from 1972 through 2008 (that means Obama), and my votes in 2012 and 2016 were protest votes for third party candidates. In 2020, unless a Gabbard or Delaney is the Democratic candidate (doubtful, I know), I will probably vote for third party again unless it is a very close race in Wisconsin between an extreme left candidate and Trump, in which case I will probably vote for Trump (and hate myself for doing so).

And, yes, I am in favor of a national health system (as I have said in many of my posts), but I am even more in favor of not having the extreme liberals ruin this country.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
As I have said on many posts on this subject, a moderate is someone who supports neither the extreme left OR the extreme right. As far as my voting record, I voted for the Democrat POTUS candidate from 1972 through 2008 (that means Obama), and my votes in 2012 and 2016 were protest votes for third party candidates. In 2020, unless a Gabbard or Delaney is the Democratic candidate (doubtful, I know), I will probably vote for third party again unless it is a very close race in Wisconsin between an extreme left candidate and Trump, in which case I will probably vote for Trump (and hate myself for doing so).

And, yes, I am in favor of a national health system (as I have said in many of my posts), but I am even more in favor of not having the extreme liberals ruin this country.

Sounds like you are a democrat who likes to think of themselves as an independent.

My parents call themselves independents, but have never voted for a republican in their lives. That, of course, makes them democrats.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:31 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
What is your definition of moderate?

Is it moderate to deny people cancer treatment if they cant pay the treatment bill? Is it moderate to support for-profit prisons, a $7.25 minimum wage and the worst labor rights in the industrialized world?

Some people scream that AOC is an extremist who do not support this, but to me, it seems very moderate. And most Americans agree.
"Moderate" basically means "Republican" to a lot of people. They want an alternative to Trump that's against healthcare for all, against a living wage, and promotes conservative social values (anti-gay, anti-abortion).

Old 07-18-2019, 08:38 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
What is your definition of moderate?

Is it moderate to deny people cancer treatment if they cant pay the treatment bill? Is it moderate to support for-profit prisons, a $7.25 minimum wage and the worst labor rights in the industrialized world?

Some people scream that AOC is an extremist who do not support this, but to me, it seems very moderate. And most Americans agree.
AOC is not a moderate. She's a Progressive.

A moderate is a centrist which has nothing to do with denying healthcare to anyone.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:39 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
70% have voted they hurt the party and will turn independents away. Maybe there's some hope for the Dems, maybe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies