Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 10:49 AM

550 posts, read 369,749 times

Advertisements

Why is there still an overwhelming number of homeless people in California?

Democrats control every state office and are mayors in both Los Angeles and San Francisco.

California has a state income tax that could be 80% if the state wanted it to be.

Make everything free, let the rich pay. Open borders and free health care for illegal immigrants.

Democrats rally for all of that. Well, California could be the test case.

All the Silicone Valley robber barons, starting with Mark Zuckerberg who's worth $75B, live there and could be taxed the way Democrats say they want to tax billionaires.

Nothing Trump administration could do about it.

But, California isn't solving its homeless population, it's getting worse. What gives?

(Sources: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/u...opulation.html)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 10:54 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,189,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
Homelessness is a national problem. Why isn't Trump doing anything about it?

Old 07-25-2019, 11:01 AM

550 posts, read 369,749 times
Why can't California solve its problem. 90% of the tech billionaires are there and could be taxed to pay for any solution.

It is not a national problem. Visit the Midwest to see how different cities there are from San Francisco re homelessness.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:04 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,266,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post

Democrats control every state office and are mayors in both Los Angeles and San Francisco.

California has a state income tax that could be 80% if the state wanted it to be.

Make everything free, let the rich pay. Open borders and free health care for illegal immigrants.

Democrats rally for all of that. Well, California could be the test case.

All the Silicone Valley robber barons, starting with Mark Zuckerberg who's worth $75B, live there and could be taxed the way Democrats say they want to tax billionaires.

Nothing Trump administration could do about it.

But, California isn't solving its homeless population, it's getting worse. What gives?

(Sources: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/05/u...opulation.html)
Unchecked liberalism is the cause.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,760,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Homelessness is a national problem. Why isn't Trump doing anything about it?
Why do cities that have huge homeless problems are ran by democrats?

Old 07-25-2019, 11:49 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,760,035 times
Why isn't California wonderful?
- One of the highest cost of living
- Highest taxes and other government fees
- High poverty rates (when adjusted for cost of living)
- High homeless
- Many cities and towns are often run-down and filthy

Old 07-25-2019, 11:50 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,461,116 times
over development, over-regulation, plus great weather.

California is a corporate state with a generous welfare policy and little need for shelter. A great combination for the worse outcome.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:01 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,678,863 times
There is not a Dem or Rep that can solve homelessness... i don't think its fair to blame either... in fact its silly to try.

If your homeless, would you rather be in Sunny Southern California or Duluth, MN..? Besides the climate, California likely has more resources for homeless.. so they likely flock there.. save up their pennies, borrow or steal and take a bus to LA... no doubt that has happened a few times..

That doesn't mean CA is doing a bang up job, just noting they likely have a tougher and bigger job than most other states when it comes to dealing with the homeless!

Old 07-25-2019, 12:10 PM

319 posts, read 229,899 times
Florida is a red state and has a huge homeless problem too. In the winter you will find fresh arrivals with their backpacks at the bus stations and interstate exits, panhandling and sleeping under the overpass.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:10 PM

10,836 posts, read 14,963,354 times
Population killed California.

I'm a fifth generation Californian born in Redwood City in 1948 the great great grandson of a man who jumped a Russian whaling ship docked in San Francisco bay in 1846 two years before the gold rush. As far as we can tell my great great grandfather came out of Yekaterinburg via Odessa but it really gets sketchy.

When I was born the entire family lived in California with the exception of an uncle who lived in Reno, Nevada. Growing up I lived in San Carlos, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Menlo Park and Santa Clara.

When I was born we were living at 1047 McCue Avenue in San Carlos a house that was built by my grandfather who was a pretty big developer in the area. Here is what the house looks like today on Google Street View and here is what it looked like right after my grandfather finished building it.

My first memories are of that house and I do remember my bedroom was in the front corner and you can see the two windows on the right side which were my bedroom windows.

My grandfather built most of the homes in the San Carlos area... back in that time he was the largest developer of the area and he lived in a house with five acres on McCormick Lane in Atherton. The money is all gone today but he was well off back then.

I remember both sides of the El Camino had acres and acres of orchards, mostly pears and prunes but some cherries, between the small towns of Mountain View, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara. Growing up as a young kid we would spend all our time in these orchards exploring.... they were huge with their own dirt roads and a 10 year old sure could explore!

The El Camino was a two lane road back then once you got out of the cities. Oh yes it was!

In my early teen years we lived on Dundee Drive in Santa Clara and in 1965 Monroe Street dead ended at Quinn Avenue to the San Jose Airport it was all, and I do mean all, orchards. It was a two mile walk, or bike ride on the private dirt roads which were many, to get to the airport.

To make money in the summer I would head over to the airport where they had hundreds, if not thousands, of acres of string beans which I would pick for two cents a pound. If I worked all afternoon I could make $2 which wasn't bad for a 12 year old seeing how it was equivalent to $17 today for maybe four hours of carefree work. Back then it seems parents didn't give kids anything.. if we wanted money we had to work for it and picking was one of the ways to get it.

I remember when they were building Wilcox High School.

I also remember the building of the Hetch Hetchy (sp?) tunnel to bring water to Crystal Lake from the Sierra Nevada mountains. The tunnel was HUGE and we boys, being boys, would play and explore while under construction. Can't remember exactly where it was but it wasn't far from our house in Santa Clara... I remember it being an easy bike ride.

Behind a set of stores at the southeast corner of the El Camino and Kiely Blvd it was all orchards except for The Moonlight Drive In Theater. The stores used to be called The Moonlight shopping center or something like that.

In 1960 San Jose had a population of 204,196 and I remember everyone was excited when they changed the population sign with the new figure.... we had lots of beautiful places and it was the best place for a young man to grow up in back then. I loved being a kid there.

We would ride bikes like you wouldn't believe. It was common for a group of us to leave the Bonnie Brae neighborhood, that was what the development area around Dundee Drive was officially called, and bike to Stevens Creek where we would explore and get poison oak. How poison oak didn't kill me I will never know.

Today the family is mostly gone... over 100 people that I can remember in the family and today there's maybe 20 with nobody left in the bay area where we all came from. Who is left is in Sacramento, Fresno or the Los Angeles area. I go back to visit today and I don't recognize it at all.

Oh, and if you are wondering my parents bought the house on Dundee Drive new paying $29,900 in 1960. It was either 1960 or 1961.

California changed.. imagine Ronald Reagan being elected governor twice today.

Hope you all enjoyed this little trip down memory lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies