Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 01:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, setting us all up for a fall, then telling us that we need more debt and deficit (that's what the last line is) to "save" ourselves, while not noting that his "hot" stock market has returned less than 6% in the last 20 years.

Quite a shell game.

Certainly things are so terrible (for 1/2 or more of Americans) that they don't have as far to fall....whether one can make it through one week or two weeks without a paycheck isn't a big difference.

Real Estate, which many claimed was where a majority of Americans held much of their value, has barely increased in many areas for a decade or more.
Bought my house in 1997 for $61,000 cash and it needed a little here and there. Today, I could sell this house in the city for 10x's what I paid 22 years ago.

In 1981 I paid $750 an acre with mineral rights, for my cow pasture on top of the Eagle-Ford Shale
In 1991 I paid $1200 for additional acreage down the road. Today, I could sell that land for $3800 an acre and I get to keep the mineral rights.
What depressed Democrat hell hole do you live in, that has cost the people their investment in property. They don't make land anymore.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:58 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
"a modest and widely expected move that is meant to keep the economy healthy in the face of head winds from President Trump’s trade war"

Amazing how far people will go to negate the obvious.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:59 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
One of the bullets the President does have left is dropping tarrifs to lower the price of goods, and hopefully the other nations will do the same. That will at least help boost consumer spending in the short run.
Your banking on Trump going backward now?
With Trump you just never know, all that uncertainty with Trump is fun when the economy is good, roll the dice and gamble a little.

I have a feeling that changes when jobs numbers decline. I will admit I have no idea what kind of President America wants anymore, so much has changed in 2-3 years.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Your banking on Trump going backward now?
With Trump you just never know, all that uncertainty with Trump is fun when the economy is good, roll the dice and gamble a little.

I have a feeling that changes when jobs numbers decline. I will admit I have no idea what kind of President America wants anymore, so much has changed in 2-3 years.
It wouldn't be the first time he took credit for "fixing" a problem he created in the first place.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:06 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Bought my house in 1997 for $61,000 cash and it needed a little here and there. Today, I could sell this house in the city for 10x's what I paid 22 years ago.

In 1981 I paid $750 an acre with mineral rights, for may cow pasture on top of the Eagle-Ford Shale
In 1991 I paid $1200 for additional acreage down the road. Today, I could sell that land for $3800 an acre and I get to keep the mineral rights.
What depressed Democrat hell hole do you live in, that has cost the people their investment in property. They don't make land anymore.
Ah, what YOU paid for something!

Sorry, most people's homes aren't resource extraction sites. Real Estate has gone largely nowhere in many of the most desirable areas and any increases are much than offset by higher carrying costs (prop. taxes, etc)....

A place like "Trump Central" of Sarasota Florida is going up about 1% or .5% per year, well less than even inflation let alone when basic cost of keeping things from rotting and leaking are figured in...

I'm not saying booming real estate is a good or bad thing (it's nice to buy stuff reasonable), just that we know the market is way behind normal for 20 years, we know interest rates haven't been cut since the Great Recession and we know people (generally) are not cleaning up on their main assets.

This is not some kind of "amazing boom" that it becomes self-evident that we have to fall from.

Gold? Well, lots of new people to sucker into that one. It was about $500 an oz back in the 80's when everyone was saying to buy it. What's that...a 3% compounded return???

How about silver? Those Right Wing Hunt brothers deserved everything they got.....and what they got was bankruptcy. Only dumb people can make what should be billions into almost zero...and that includes the Hunts and the Trumps (who would have 20 Billion if they invested in market indexes instead of their fraud schemes).

Old 07-31-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Global recession and the USA is pulling the strings.
Gold to rise as the FED cuts interest rates today.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...t-happens-next

The jump as expected. up $140 an ounce.

https://www.nasdaq.com/markets/gold.aspx

Old 07-31-2019, 02:18 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Completely unnecessary rate cut. Interest rates are still at historically low levels. I don't think anybody today is saying "I'd like to buy a house, or expand my business, but I can't because rates are too high." Thus this cut will have little effect on the economy, other than boosting the stock market a bit. The inverted yield curve is predicting a recession in the next 12 months, nothing the Fed can do to stop it.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:18 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
11 year expansion without a recession.

Of course there will be a recession; the trick is predicting when it will occur.

Stocks are overvalued about 60%, we have a housing bubble, high personal debt, and very high student loan debt.

Banks are in better position than they were in 2008, but all the factors are there for a nice recession/stock market decline. It is a game of "hot potato" as far as who is left holding the potato when it hits.

I can tell you one thing- raising taxes on individuals and business and increasing regulations (which dems favor) is like spraying Round-Up on business.
I'm willing to take a hit on my 401k in favor of regulations for safe working conditions for our citizens, for clean air, clean water, for safe transport of hazardous material, for safe air travel, for lower carbon emissions and safer food sources, safer hospitals, safer drugs, I could go on for awhile here......

Old 07-31-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I'm willing to take a hit on my 401k in favor of regulations for safe working conditions for our citizens, for clean air, clean water, for safe transport of hazardous material, for safe air travel, for lower carbon emissions and safer food sources.
Take note.... You be you.
I hope you were not thinking for everyone.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:35 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Quote:
Take note.... You be you.
I hope you were not thinking for everyone.
Of course I'm aware of the selfish Americans who couldn't care about the environment or safety of our population while trusting corporations to do what's best.

Google search Union Carbide disaster why don't you? When corporations are allowed to run amuck you have these and other disasters. And it's not just environmental. Chech out the banking/mortgage crisis. Fix required regulations, not deregulation.

Hope you or your family members aren't on the next Boeing airliner that goes down because the airline industry was deregulated and inspectors were reduced by deregulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies