Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 08:44 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No, we don't spend enough on education when books are falling apart and teachers have to spend their own money for supplies. I do agree that parents don't do their job. They expect teachers to do it for them
the books and supplies are the job of the local funding sources - state, county, school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 08:57 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That’s up to each state ( constitution) county and school district.
K
There are a few counties in Alabama that exempt senior property owners from school taxation. It puts a greater financial burden on property owners under 65. That’s how they choose to roll.
The states compulsory education system imposes a great financial burden on every property owner, especially the ones who have no children to educate...with the exception of some seniors in Alabama who managed to escape being victimized, but not without you implying they are responsible for higher taxes on everyone else

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 08-17-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-17-2019, 09:13 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Fellow slaves, did you know that when a real estate developer decides to build a house or a whole subdivision of homes he/she must have the local government zone the property for enshrinement into a public school district? If not, master wouldn't get his tribute.

It's less than 3 minutes. Just pretend master is sleeping and doesn't know what you're about to watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=777s5ZhABTo

Old 08-17-2019, 10:08 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"There is no lack of education funding." The fed Dept of Education has an annual budget of $68 BILLION a year. WHY? What do we get for it?

Wash. D.C. has one of the HIGHEST Cost per Pupil rankings yet have one of the LOWEST graduation rakings, etc. rankings.

Private schools do FAR BETTER job at a a much LOWER Cost per Pupil.

The AMOUNT of money spent per pupil is NOT the answer!

there are 50.7MM K-12 public students. That would put the federal budget at $1,341 per student. I'm sure there's a helluva lot of money NOT spent "in the classroom" from that.

Here's how the revenues for schools works in my system (it's county-wide):

Quote:
Wake County Commissioners, who provide the school system with 30% of the school district's funding, agreed to increase funding $45 million for fiscal year 2019-2020. State legislators, who provide roughly 59% of the school system's funding, have not yet approved a budget for next year. The federal government provides 7% of the school district's funding with the final 4% coming from various sources that do not require tax dollars. The Wake Board of Education has no taxing authority.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:09 AM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The states compulsory education system imposes a great financial burden on every property owner, especially the ones who have no children to educate...with the exception of some seniors in Alabama who managed to escape being victimized, but not without you implying they are responsible for higher taxes on everyone else
Texas freezes the house value when the owner reaches 65, IIRC for school taxes. After that taxes would only increase if improvement are made. Mine froze at a market value of 225. I'm still paying 3000+ a year school taxes.

A person can control their property taxes by what they are willing to spend on a house. We got tired of paying $7000 a year school taxes, with the senior exemption, so we downsized.

Another thought on stiffing seniors. What about those people having 5 or 6 kids? Every time I see them at the grocery store my brain just automatically multiplies the number of kids by 8000 bucks. That's what all the taxpayers are paying to educate them. So one horny couple can cost us all 40-50 K a year. That'll take a whole city block of houses to pay that cost. Hope they are well employed enough when grown to pay my Social Security.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:36 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Texas freezes the house value when the owner reaches 65, IIRC for school taxes. After that taxes would only increase if improvement are made. Mine froze at a market value of 225. I'm still paying 3000+ a year school taxes.

A person can control their property taxes by what they are willing to spend on a house. We got tired of paying $7000 a year school taxes, with the senior exemption, so we downsized.

Another thought on stiffing seniors. What about those people having 5 or 6 kids? Every time I see them at the grocery store my brain just automatically multiplies the number of kids by 8000 bucks. That's what all the taxpayers are paying to educate them. So one horny couple can cost us all 40-50 K a year. That'll take a whole city block of houses to pay that cost. Hope they are well employed enough when grown to pay my Social Security.
While the bold is certainly true,I find that rationalization akin to telling a woman if she were to dress in a more conservative fashion, she'll be less likely to be raped.

It all makes sense once one recognizes the state is one big pyramid scheme and we aint at the top

Old 08-17-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
While the bold is certainly true,I find that rationalization akin to telling a woman if she were to dress in a more conservative fashion, she'll be less likely to be raped.

It all makes sense once one recognizes the state is one big pyramid scheme and we aint at the top
Not sure I agree with the analogy, but i get the point.

The first time we moved from Texas to Webster Groves, Mo. we were shocked to know that property was not assessed every 4 years. The older houses, same price as a brand new one had way less property taxes, so we bought one built in 1916.. It was thousands less in taxes, same price to buy.

The builders finally caught on and got all that changed

Old 08-17-2019, 11:08 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Right wing anti-intellectualism and bad education policy will fuel the Chinese century.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:10 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Vietnam is a 3rd world country and scores higher on Math than the U.S. The average income in Vietnam is less than the amount or taxpayer money in the U.S. that goes to each K-12 student. The U.S. spends more than any other country on education.

There is no lack of education funding.

There is lack of:

* Standards ("No Child Left Behind" lol)
* Parenting
* IQ
There's definitely a problem when you have so many schools with brand new football stadiums and top of the line gear for the football players yet they are still using textbooks from the 1990s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Right wing anti-intellectualism and bad education policy will fuel the Chinese century.
This. China is currently embracing the 21st century while America is trying to bring back the 1950s.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies