Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 10:03 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing and reading several articles that really seem like the media is trying to spin up a recession. Examples:

AP posted an article "Homebuilding sinks as apartment construction slips" in which it notes apartment starts slipping -9.4%. Read on in the fine print in the article where it's up 25% from last year, and single family construction is also up 7.4%. I'm seeing this as only a net 2% slowdown in apartment starts with home buying up....a good thing in my economic view vs. apartments as more people are "moving on up".

CNBC posted an article "Bad sign for commercial real estate, the architecture business is slowing down", citing few new contracts. Read on where it says this doesn't include single family projects and that rental apartments are still strong. I work in construction and the only reason I can credit the few new contracts for architectural work is that they are already full...we're seeing drawings come in months and months late. I'd believe that retail storefronts are down as more businesses move to a online sales and shipping model, but the rest is hog wash.

Yet another article focused on manufacturing in Ohio and "how hard it was hit by Trumps Tariff's on China", citing some business of a handful of people that had to increase prices 25% because of the Chinese stuff they were peddling and might have to close. Then in the bottom of the article it went on to say that other manufacturing startups/restarts had resulted in hundreds of new jobs in the same town.

I could go on and on, but there is no need. The spin is obvious. You can hate Trump all you want, but the media messing with our economy and livelihood messes with all of us....unless you don't have a job already. A recession swallows billions of dollars in net worth, states cut education and emergency services spending, jobs are lost, families loose their homes, unemployment and food stamp draws swell and put our states and nation further in debt, the dollar sinks in values and other countries surge in and buy up our commodities driving prices higher for food and fuel while times are already bad....but that's ok, giving Trump a black eye is obviously more important. In the meantime the same liberal elite will be thrilled when they can buy up our foreclosed homes, repossessed cars, and stocks for 25 cents on the dollar AND you fall into their "safety net" apartment subsidized by the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
the hand to mouth crowd always roots against America. That's why I don't feed them.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:08 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
There is a general concern among economists/financial folks that the economy has been adding jobs for 9 years and that we have been on the longest recovery ever ....so there is cautious speculation that we may be due for a bit of a slow down.

It isn't the 'media' -- it's generally accepted.

Longest recovery ever -- 121 months......wow.

I would love for it to continue but reality is reality and not assigning anything to Trump -- he hasn't steered this economy and it won't necessarily be his fault when it slows down.

(Doesn't the economy usually slow down a bit during an election year?)

Old 07-17-2019, 10:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
The media can't spin a recession.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The media can't spin a recession.
Yeah it's a little naive to blame the media for reporting what financial experts are expressing as concern.

Is the role of media to ignore stories that don't support the conservative agenda?

Old 07-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Anything to make Trump look bad, even if it be a nuke war, they desire it. TDS is very serious condition that endangers all of us.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:19 AM

10,767 posts, read 4,349,095 times
The media has definitely proven itself to be the most immoral profession on earth.
They feed off death and disaster.
They crave pain and suffering.
They think like a serial killer.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Anything to make Trump look bad, even if it be a nuke war, they desire it. TDS is very serious condition that endangers all of us.
Interesting because I clearly state Trump isn't driving the economy and you assume that anyone who is concerned by a slow down would blame it on Trump.

Of course because Trump has taken ownership of all positive factors of the economy since he was elected, he should expect to also take ownership of all the negative factors. He set himself up for that. You can blame the left...but Trump wrote the script -- they are just playing along.

There is concern for a slow down......it is expected after 121 months of recovery. That's a long time.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:46 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
I just feel like the titles of the articles I referenced are out of touch with the goings on even within the articles, they come across as a recession is looming everyone hide your money in your mattress ASAP when that's far from true. Properly managed(interest rates need to be adjusted to curb inflation yet promote growth, individually if need be), I think we don't have to have recessions at all and that they are engineered for profit taking honestly.

So pknopp, how would you feel if I was a big media honcho and I wanted to buy a bunch of stock from a company you happen to have shares of in your retirement portfolio. I simply post an article titled "So and so's sales slid sharply in June" and watch it plummet. You or your account manager goes oh no better get out of that, and sells, then it drops some more. Then I would buy. Within the article through in the fine print that who knows how many people actually read, "sales are up 58% year over last", so it's really not a big deal....just had a flat month due to anything from sales people on vacation or products/materials being behind schedule. Next month posts more gains and big media man just made 25% profit in a month. It's supposed to be illegal, but it happens ALL THE TIME.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:50 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There is a general concern among economists/financial folks that the economy has been adding jobs for 9 years and that we have been on the longest recovery ever ....so there is cautious speculation that we may be due for a bit of a slow down.

It isn't the 'media' -- it's generally accepted.

Longest recovery ever -- 121 months......wow.

I would love for it to continue but reality is reality and not assigning anything to Trump -- he hasn't steered this economy and it won't necessarily be his fault when it slows down.

(Doesn't the economy usually slow down a bit during an election year?)
Also other similar countries are doing worse than us. France, Germany, Japan, Italy, the UK have worse numbers coming in. They very well could drag us down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies