Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 08:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Oh please, who is getting their ground beef from Brazil? Mostly it is from US and Canada.
Whether we are getting it all or not:

"Brazil is currently the second-largest commercial beef producer in the world, behind the US"

Our country is already screwed up and polluted by the excess beef production...McDonalds, BTW, sells all over the world and certainly doesn't source it all in the USA.

"The vast majority of the fires have been set by loggers and ranchers to clear land for cattle. The practice is on the rise, encouraged by Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil's populist pro-business president, who is backed by the country's so-called "beef caucus."

Enjoy the cheap meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:51 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
It's pretty silly that you can't understand the analogy.
be a pal and explain it for us.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:52 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
We should all know better than to listen when Hollywood and DeCrapio and others chime in its bogus.....they are PAID liars and are very good at it.........

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...s#285b7be05bde
I don't listen to Leo and those Hollywood stars. I listen to scientists and geographers. And those are the persons who are the most likely to understand the importance of the Amazon rainforest. It's basically a carbon sink, absorbing the CO2 and releasing alot of oxygen. I'll believe the geographers and scientists before I listen to some FOX News pundit.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:42 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Whether we are getting it all or not:

"Brazil is currently the second-largest commercial beef producer in the world, behind the US"

Our country is already screwed up and polluted by the excess beef production...McDonalds, BTW, sells all over the world and certainly doesn't source it all in the USA.

"The vast majority of the fires have been set by loggers and ranchers to clear land for cattle. The practice is on the rise, encouraged by Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil's populist pro-business president, who is backed by the country's so-called "beef caucus."

Enjoy the cheap meat.
And I will enjoy my cheap meat sourced from the USA, that has nothing to do with the Amazon deforestation.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
We should all know better than to listen when Hollywood and DeCrapio and others chime in its bogus.....they are PAID liars and are very good at it.........

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...s#285b7be05bde
How much did they pay DiCaprio to donate $5 million to the cause?

Old 08-27-2019, 09:51 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
OUCH! The easily manipulated are going to scream that this guy is a hack or something. Watch. I knew those pictures couldn't have been real, a RAIN forest wouldn't burn like that.
It burns quite well during the dry season, but it has been happening for a long time. This is not new.

There is nothing like a nice slab of south American Churrasco/Vacio on the grill.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:43 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Hey, as long as y'all can get 99 cent burgers, who cares about the native tribes, the trees and all of that stuff?

Funny how people talk about China of India polluting....how bad bad bad it is, but then they approve of the world being clear cut for cheaper beef so they can fatten themselves up more and more.

Sadly, that is the root cause of all of this. Beef.
I guess it hasn't occurred to you that many of these tracts that are burning were actually cleared of trees some years ago and put into farming and ranching at that point. Which is not to say that the fires aren't consuming established forest lands, but much of the land burning this summer are cleared tracts adjacent to the rain forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Linked Article

The New York Times, based on their own analysis of the data, confirms what I suspected about Brazil: "most of the fires are burning on agricultural land where the forest had already been cleared."
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...fires/70009150

Something else the article makes clear is that portions of the Amazon region burn every year. The number of fires this year is slightly below average for Brazil itself over the past seven years, although it's well below the average annual fire count for all of the Amazon states in South America. As the article points out, fires in the Amazon are not a new problem, and this year may not be markedly worse than any other given year.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:00 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
If these people want us to feel really bad about the Amazon fires, it helps if they used REAL facts and not exaggerations! Now, I do have sympathy with the indigenous people there but what is the most practical way to address this swarm of forest fires?

Old 08-28-2019, 01:26 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Someone is in need of a botany course.
I think they were referring to plants using carbon dioxise and producing oxygen, and lungs using oxygen. It was a misnomer to say the amazon were the lungs of the world.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:42 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I think they were referring to plants using carbon dioxise and producing oxygen, and lungs using oxygen. It was a misnomer to say the amazon were the lungs of the world.
eds is in need of a basic biology course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies