Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 11:48 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I said nothing about historical legacies running your life. I don’t think an unemployed black person wakes up and says “I can’t get a job because my ancestors were slaves.” I don’t think a Native American says “I’m facing hardships because my ancestors land was dispossessed.”

You clearly don’t like or chose not to understand, on a deep level what I was trying to say.
What you are saying is that the unemployed black person or a Native American (generally?) is facing hardship through no fault of their own based on a historical legacy of racism in America, and not from choices of their own, whether they acknowledge any of these things one way or the other. if they choose to make their lives better, they cannot, says the legacy of racism meme, and whether they try or don't, says the meme, the outcome is the same, says the meme.

I get the excuse. I get the racket. They aren't the only ones who blame some external force as the cause of their lot in life. LOTS of people do that. You think the 20-something, layabout wastrel white dude collecting unemployment and welfare to sit around playing PS4 is being intellectually honest about why his situation is as it is? Did the knuckleheads of Occupy Wall Street teach you nothing?

What separates your unemployed black guy and Native American from that layabout wastrel white guy is that nobody is buying the white guy's dumbass excuses, but lots of people, for whatever reason, buy into the nonsense the unemployed black guy and Native American are peddling. They all do the same thing - blame unseen external forces as the barrier to their advancement. And they are all equally full of crap.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:53 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Britons, and especially the young were still being forcibly removed to Australia, Canada ( especially Nova Scotia) in large quantities and in addition a further 150,000 indentured servants arrived, mainly from the British midlands and West Country, and went to the American South well after the revolution. Prob explains why the south was so poor. The USA was mainly founded on class injustices, while not disparaging slavery at all.
Wait, are you suggesting that America isn’t really about freedom and justice for all? That’s impossible! That would contradict everything I was taught in school!

Old 05-15-2020, 12:00 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The PROOF of oppression are the conditions it creates for the oppressed. Show me a people who has endured sustained oppression and I will show you a group struggling at the bottom of that society. You can't be oppressed with few symptoms of being oppressed. I guess that is called asymptomatic oppression. People walking around oppressed while living at high standards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Tell it to a Jew. Typically top of most socioeconomic food chains despite global anti-Semitism. Current anti-Asian rules in both the US government entitlement castes and the US university system started as anti-Jew rules in the early 20th century. The UN, since its inception, condemns Israel on a weekly basis, pretty much for being Israel and having a lot of Jews live there. And Jews, both individually and collectively, choose to ignore all that crap and just go out and succeed regardless.

There's a bunch of races/religions/cultures that are similar to Jews in that regard. And then there are those collectives that are the flip side. Any and every instance of oppression is a log for the excuse/blame fire, and a reason to quit. End of the day, it comes down to the individual, at least in America and Europe. Can't speak to 3rd World dictatorships and theocracies that have rigid caste systems, but in the industrialized 1st World, life is pretty much what you make of it.
Thank you. I was going to say “the Jews” in response to that poster’s challenge to “show [him] a people that has endured sustained oppression” and he would should us a group struggling at the bottom. After 2,000 years of oppression, Jews repeatedly move beyond it to become successful - and don’t keep blaming whatever horrific thing happened as a reason for failures. I hesitated because that would get the antisemites on the left engaged to attack, so I’m glad you provided the very obvious answer. Thanks again.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:45 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
The big problem with the 1619 project is that the essays are half a false, but also half of a truth. The history of the 1619 project is wrong wrong, but yes blacks did contribute in shaping this country culturally, socially, spiritually, politically. However to say America is founded in 1619? Many are not with that? United States didn't even exist 1619 for starters. However we can not deny the importance of black success and achievement of shaping this Grand Republic we all share and uphold. And that the United States did do a poor job celebrating black achievement into the American framework which is only relegated to a month on February. What a sham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies