Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 09:26 AM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
I would love to hear you tell Jews to get over it.
or an Asian American of any eastern Asian or Southern/southwestern Asian descent, since those are the most institutionally discriminated against groups in the US today.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:29 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,515,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
or an Asian American of any eastern Asian or Southern/southwestern Asian descent, since those are the most institutionally discriminated against groups in the US today.
Well, in fairness, Jews are the victims of hate crimes - proportionate to their numbers - more than any other group. IOW, a Jew is more likely to be a hate crime victim than Asian-Americans or blacks. Just saying.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:36 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,955 times
Quote:
Slavery has always been about caste systems, where race is one of many factors in one caste holding power over another.

In modern day caste systems where people are born into lifetime poverty and servitude they cannot escape, which you see across much of Africa and a solid chunk of Asia, particularly SW Asia, the "downtrodden" are typically of the same race as the aristocracy, as it was in Europe for so many centuries. Racism is not what causes caste systems, it simply can be one of many factors.

Slavery is/was always about power. Those who have/had it lord it over those who do not. That's why you see countless historical and present day examples of blacks enslaving blacks, whites enslaving whites, Chinese enslaving other Chinese, etc etc. The people doing the enslaving have money/power, the people being enslaved do not, and a caste system of some sort justifies the arrangement.

America rid itself of official caste systems in 1863, then did a "we really mean it" update in 1964, and then in the 1969-1974 period, figured out a way to make a new race base caste system and self-enslavement under the entitlement state machinery. So we do indeed have a caste system in the US right now, to this day, but here's the rub...which caste you belong to is almost entirely voluntary. And that...dear friends...is where the gripes come from.

Nobody wants to accept their reality in America being one of their own making, especially those who have it rough. For sure we have a caste system, but you choose your caste with your actions and behaviors over a period of time. People try to convince themselves it is some other way, but it isn't. The 1619 Project is excuse making on a grand scale, but in the end, the daily reality of every African American in this country is one they chose, and one they can change at any point if they simply choose to.
I’m not moved at all.

Many historians could argue that race was central to the making of slavery throughout the Americas.

“Daily reality” and “choices” includes reality of historic legacies but could very much conflict themselves.

I think many African Americans understand that they have choices, but that still doesn’t erase the historical legacies that went into the fabric of building this country.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
How so?

I would love to hear the support and evidence that confirms this as fact.

Asians were discriminated against but not to level that African Americans were.

And no they weren’t, no matter how much you try to argue that they were.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:38 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
Quote:
I would love to hear you tell Jews to get over it.
Get over what? Slavery by the Egyptians? The Holocaust? The current Antisemitism by Progressives (Democrats) that is now considered OK by the Media? What would I need to tell Jews to get over? Are they looking for handouts to right past wrongs purely to punish? NO they are NOT.

Last edited by Pilot1; 05-15-2020 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-15-2020, 09:39 AM

89,067 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I really haven't heard much about this 1619 project, and haven't paid much attention to it. But the role of slavery in America's history is undeniable.

I always considered it a sort of cruel joke that the Declaration said "all men are created equal", when that document was written and endorsed by a bunch of wealthy white plantation owners. I have a lot of admiration for Thomas Jefferson, but he was definitely a hypocrite where slavery is concerned.

The only way whites could justify slavery was by considering blacks to be less than human. That idea was codified in the US Constitution, where slaves were counted as three fifths of a person for purpose of determining Congressional delegation size. The fallacy of black inferiority was eventually recognized in the North, but willfully denied in the South because their economy depended on it. The bias persisted even after the Civil War. I guess when you're beat down, you still want to believe there is someone lower than you.
I hope you realize that Blacks owned slaves centuries ago in the US, as well. Slave owners were not only white.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/27648819?seq=1

Old 05-15-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Get over what? Slavery by the Egyptians? The Holocaust? The current anti Antisemitism by Progressives (Democrats) that is now considered OK by the Media? What would I need to tell Jews to get over? Are they looking for handouts to right past wrongs purely to punish? NO they are NOT.
So you think blacks are looking for handouts.

How nice.

And you wonder why these discussions never end well.

And punish who? Punish you? Please do go into more detail.

And give me proof that blacks are looking for handouts.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I hope you realize that Blacks owned slaves centuries ago in the US, as well. Slave owners were not only white.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/27648819?seq=1
If blacks owned slaves, they were usually free blacks themselves and it was often to free their family or others. Not exactly to simply grow rich from owning other people.

It doesn’t erase the fact that slavery was an evil institution.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:47 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times
Quote:
So you think blacks are looking for handouts.

How nice.
More handouts? They already get Affirmative Action and all kinds of welfare and other benefits because they are Black. Why do you think every government form or university application asks for RACE and ethnicity?

But yest, they want MORE. Reparations for one. To punish Whitey, and get more "FREE" STUFF.

Quote:
And punish who? Punish you? Please do go into more detail.
Punish the earners and the productive in society. Often it is the Middle Income Earner that pays the most.

Quote:
And give me proof that blacks are looking for handouts.
See above. The constant calls for REPARATIONS for something that ended 155 years ago.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:48 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,907,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Sorry honey, it existed in the Americas, and the rest of the world long before the evil white man.
She never said it didn't.

My DNA comes from my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies